Thread: River Boats

Name
    Paul

Default River Boats

Has anyone got any experiences with owning a river boat?

What brands are good and what sort of spec should I be looking at.

I've seen some sexy looking boats above the 50k to around 120k range (about 10 years old though!)
    Along these lines http://www.newark-marina.co.uk/index...=details&id=63

What's the general running costs, mooring, repairs, maintenance, licensing rules etc.

Name
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by angelboy

I've seen some sexy looking boats above the 50k to around 120k range (about 10 years old though!)

What's the general running costs, mooring, repairs, maintenance, licensing rules etc.
    Hi Paul

Expect to pay (in the North) about 2500 for a 10m boat (around 30ft) mooring fees. This generally includes water, electric and access to the facilities at the site. If the boat is to be kept in the water for long period, it will need to be lifted out on a yearly basis and anti-fouled. You'll be suprised what grows on the underside of a boat!! Something like this will cost you about 200 for the lift out, and then another 100 in matierals to clean it.

If the boat is a few years old, you'll probably want to epoxy the surface too - reduces osmosis.

Running costs - well you can run it on lovely red diesel if you choose. Because there is very little stress on the engine, you'll get hundreds of miles if not more to the tank. You will need to have a radio license - but hold out til september if you can. This is normally 80-120 a year, but in November you'll pay a one off figure for life. You'll also need to be certified ...

At visiting marinas, you can expect to pay up to 60 a night. Some of them charge per metre - watch out for these

If you want to go have some fun and see what its all about, get yourself to the Norfolk broads.

There are also some lovely motorboats for sale here:

www.on-water.co.uk

Although they look a lot like yachts, they do have some great motorboats for around the 50k - 100k mark.

Ring me if you want any more info

Lee

tonyh is offline Bus station dosser Club Member
    Name
    Tony H

stevef and LWR are your boys Lee, you into boats as well

Name
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by tonyh
    stevef and LWR are your boys Lee, you into boats as well
    Yes Tony. I've been sailing since I was all but a wee nipper. 5 years ago dad bought his first yacht, and now we have a lovely Halberg Rassey up on the North East coast.

The missus' parents has sanctioned some money for us to buy our own boat - so the search continues ;)

I'm a qualified day skipper, coastal skipper and yacht master theory (not enough sea miles yet for the practical - but its on the agenda).

Name
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by angelboy

a lot will also depend on the air draft restrictions in your cruising area,ie bridges etc,also,do you ever want to take it tidal etc etc.PM if you like,I hold Yachtmaster(professional)& YM instructor tickets,also principal of a sea school.Currant boat is Sealine T46,but had loads of others from 20 foot,to 50 foot.