Thread: The story of Enzo Ferrari video

ferrari-spider Guest

Default The story of Enzo Ferrari video

49mins long but a good un, very good infact http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=ferrari&hl=en

Is this a repost???
    Last edited by ferrari-spider; 15-08-2006 at 01:36 PM.

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

Hi Chas

I remember seeing it when it was first shown. It's interesting, though rather superficial I thought. But then I spose it's hard to do justice to such a large subject in just 49 minutes. There are also a few errors. But worth watching.

ferrari-spider Guest

What are the errors Fran?

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

First error was they said the Prancing Horse came from his dead brother's regiment whuch was not true. It was probably originally the emblem of a first world war fighter pilot from Stuttgart, which was adopted by the Italian ace, Francesco Baracca who shot him down. Baracca became a national italian hero before he too was killed. After the war Enzo met his father at a motor race and was subsequently introduced to his mother Countess Baracca who suggested that Enzo use teh symbol on his car.

So in fact the Cavallino Rampante might derived from the same horse that adorns porsches

There is little doubt that Enzo used Baracca's horse symbol as he himself told the story in his autobiography "My terrible joys" in 1963.

However there are conflcting version of why Baracca had adopted the emblem.

see http://www.museobaracca.it/ingl/inglese.html where it says he is "likely" to have chosen the emblem from his former cavalry regiment. I prefer the other version though. It has more of a ring about it

Secondly they stated something along the lines of that after the Surtees F1 title in 64 it was more than a decade before Ferrari won another title. In saying that they suddenly conveniently forgot sportscar racing, which up to that point in the programme had featured quite a lot. Sportscar racing was still at the point as important, if not more important to Ferrari than F1. Ferrari won the Sports Prototype constructors championships in 67 (with the 330P4) and again in 72 with the 312PB (incidentally at that point Ferrari's 39th world title) as well as the European Mountain championship with the 212E in 69. So although Ferrari had a barren 10 years in F1 they were hardly failing in their other endeavours.

Overall I think the programme makers were trying rather too hard to just sensationalise Enzo Ferrari.

ferrari-spider Guest

Nice one Arnt they still using the Horse on a certain squadrn still in Italy. I did hear that the original horse at Strutgart was becourse there was a horse breeder there who bread Arabs. So thats why the horse was used as a crest of the area. Any truth in this? And Porsche build there cars there as well so also use the same horse.
    Enzo adjusted the Prancing horse picture to suit him self, like the tail of the horse that originaly swooped down and not up. I am quite sure the Porsches still have the original prancing horse crest on there 1/4 nose badge.

Name
    Francis Newman

Yes - it's intersting to see the evolution of the horse in the diplay of badges in the Galeria - I expect you saw that. It definitely got a bit slimmer and more upright

ferrari-spider Guest

I learned a lot more at the Maranello Rosso museum in San Marino . The museum is truly a museum of the racing history of ferrari