Thread: 355 outer exhaust tips cool after driving?

Name
    Ian

Default 355 outer exhaust tips cool after driving?

After I got back home tonight from a long run in the 355, I noticed the outer-most exhaust tailpipe tips were cool to the touch, whereas the inner ones were warm/hot. Does this have anything to do with the operation of the bypass valve? ie. does the bypass valve open-up a route for the exhaust gas to the outer tailpipes?

Cheers,
    Ian.

Name
    Ade

Quote Originally Posted by ian_uk1975 View Post
    After I got back home tonight from a long run in the 355, I noticed the outer-most exhaust tailpipe tips were cool to the touch, whereas the inner ones were warm/hot. Does this have anything to do with the operation of the bypass valve? ie. does the bypass valve open-up a route for the exhaust gas to the outer tailpipes?

Cheers,
    Ian.
    What exhaust have you got on your 355 ?

Murph7355 is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Murph

On many of the exhausts the tips joing a couple of inches into the body anyway. So no.

It's probably a factor of more air getting to them from around the side of the car. Though must admit I've never really felt the urge to go touching them after a spirited drive (putting fingers into a fire being something else I try to avoid)

Fraccie is offline Don't mention the war! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right Club Member
    Name
    Ade

Touching exhausts after a spirited drive is not top of my "stupid things to do before i pop off" list....
    4052'31.17"N............. 2920'25.48"E

Name
    Ian

Fraccie / Murph,

Rest assured, I'm not totally devoid of common sense. The exhaust tips had cooled-down enough to comfortably touch! As you can see, my typing is unaffegheid.

Fraccie is offline Don't mention the war! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right Club Member
    Name
    Ade

Quote Originally Posted by ian_uk1975 View Post
    Fraccie / Murph,

Rest assured, I'm not totally devoid of common sense. The exhaust tips had cooled-down enough to comfortably touch! As you can see, my typing is unaffegheid.
    Weel datz ko tehn....

Name
    Jim

I always test the exhaust tip temperature after a spirited drive with my tongue. I think it is more sensitive but maybe its just cause we Scots are braver!!

GrahamS is offline Crop rotation in the 14th century was CONSIDERABLY more widespread after John... Admin dude
    Name
    GrandmasterG

I usually test mine by allowing a Carcoon to come into contact with them. If it melts then the exhausts are hot

Name
    Ade

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    I usually test mine by allowing a Carcoon to come into contact with them. If it melts then the exhausts are hot
    How often do you do this test Graham?....

Name
    Ade

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    hands, tongues, and nads? Plus fours lads all sniff around a 'hot' QUAD pipe exhaust while discretely out of sight within a carcoon. Its what our WAGs have always feared, group car shagging is very real and it happens in the quiet suburbs of britain.