Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Service history

Name
    The Don

Default Service history

Just a follow up from my previous post; has anyones car missed just one annual service during the cars life?

Name
    Mark A

Yeah mine was a bit of a mess on the service history front when I bought it. For some reason it missed the 3 year major, or at most only parts of it were done. I had the rest done when I bought it. I don't really see it as being a big deal as long as you get it sorted out with an up to date service.

Angelis is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Sy

Mines missed one in 2004, but had a big cambelt service the following year before I got it.

To be honest Kam, my opinion of service histories is pretty low. Most owners tend to do the minimum amount of work just to get the stamp, which in most cases is an oil change.

Make sure you have a full PPI done and if it passes you should be ok.

Name
    name

I bought my first Ferrari - a 355 - from PJ Evans in Birmingham (as they were called then). It had a gaping hole in the history - like nothing after the delivery inspection.

The dealer told me that he had looked into it and the first owner had a collection of exotic cars and serviced them using his own guy......

Er, Right.

I asked whether they would put this in writing, and confirm that they, as Ferrari main dealers, were happy with this and that should I sell the car back to them that they would not regard this as a problem.

They did so, and I did end up selling back to them with no problem.

Looking back though, it was my first car and I was a bit nave. Thought that if a main dealer said it was all good in the 'hood then it must be. After all, who would buy a new Ferrari and NOT service it?

Lucky escape probably, seeing how the people here place so much value on correctly stamped books.

That said, the car was fine. No problems at all.

R

tonyh is offline Bus station dosser Club Member
    Name
    Tony H

IMHO, full book o stamps makes it easier to choose the right car. FSH equals piece of mind for me

Name
    Lagerlout

Just to point out pre 355 there is no space in the books for annual service stamps only major mileage related stamps. Therefore you should look for paperwork according to the service schedule shown in the owners manual.

Name
    Lagerlout

Quote Originally Posted by Angelis View Post
    Mines missed one in 2004, but had a big cambelt service the following year before I got it.

To be honest Kam, my opinion of service histories is pretty low. Most owners tend to do the minimum amount of work just to get the stamp, which in most cases is an oil change.

Make sure you have a full PPI done and if it passes you should be ok.

Not to mention you can buy stamps on ebay for pennies.. Scary..

tonyh is offline Bus station dosser Club Member
    Name
    Tony H

Quote Originally Posted by Lagerlout View Post
    Just to point out pre 355 there is no space in the books for annual service stamps only major mileage related stamps. Therefore you should look for paperwork according to the service schedule shown in the owners manual.
    agreed, i have all invoices for stuff i've had done , inc MOT and tax discs

Terry is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Expert
    Name
    Terry

FSH = paperwork and stamps in a book, nice to have but not essential. Tells you nothing about current condition.

Noisy engines, oil leaks, broken exhaust headers, suspension/handling, ripped interiors, bad brakes, bodywork, etc etc = problems.

Last major service content is important as a current baseline for anticipated serviceability.

Moral = condition, condition, condition verified by PPI.

Name
    Ade

If the car is under 5 years old, there is really no excuse IMO. If you care about your car - I mean come on - its not THAT difficult to get it serviced at approximately the right time (give or take a few months or 1-2000 miles).

The problem is with 355s (and perhaps older cars....). Chances are nearly every car is missing something by the time it gets to 10 years old. Its very annoying. A 355 needs care and attention perhaps more than many other Ferraris, and thats the shame.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast