Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Left Hand Drive?

Name
    Speed

Default Left Hand Drive?

Dear Comrades and Commissars,

I am contemplating the acquisition of a left hand drive motor car.

Graham S has already most generously provided his thesis to me on the subject and with which he gained his Phd in Lhd - and most excellent it is too.

But, and as I have never driven a left hand drive motor car, can those that have provide me with their experiences and for which I should be most grateful.

With kind regards,

Road Burner
    Last edited by Aurora Borealis; 30-05-2007 at 09:21 AM.

Name
    jos

Some of our American brethren would have us believe that the pedals are reversed - this I know not to be true however the gear lever will be on the wrong side - I recommend the purchase of a Ford GT40 should you wish to practise this action prior to taking to the road in any LHD vehicle

Hope this helps

sletti is offline It's basically an old car with a stripe - The Ferrari Challenge Stradale Club Member
    Name
    Stig

Perhaps you could buy a low-cost LHD Ferrari F40 replica to try it out.

The general consensus for the"lefty" owners that have I have quizzed on the subject is that the would never pay the premium for a RHD vehicle again. The only disadvantage is that LHD is a tad harder to sell (not that that would be a problem if your putative choice only ever came in LHD...... ).
    S t i g (as in "a Stig"; not "the Stig")
    Please sponsor me on the Palace to palace bike ride in order to raise money for the Princes Trust.

GrahamS is offline Crop rotation in the 14th century was CONSIDERABLY more widespread after John... Admin dude
    Name
    GrandmasterG

They do Smart cars in RHD these days you know. Why go through the pain unnecessarily

Name
    simon

yeah ive had a long list of americans and id say after 100 miles its no probs at all and after 1000 miles your as confident in the twisties as in rhd, the only reason i bought a rhd 360 is ease of sale when its time for a change!!

WillW is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430
    Name

You can always sell LHD to Europe, prices are also higher in continent (I know many people me included who would ONLY buy LHD even here)
    (take it this way: I would NOT buy RHD without significant discount, but then many people used to RHD wouldn't buy LHD without significant discount)

This always divides opinions, but I have absolutely no problems here with LHD

If it's more expensive investment you might want to try to get hold of some cheap LHD, test it few weeks and then make your mind

Murph7355 is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Murph

If you want to look more like Jonny Foreigner, grow a moustache, wear tight trousers and avoid washing for several months instead.

If I were driving the car a serious amount on the continent, I'd consider one. But as it is, I avoid them (don't feel comfortable driving them on the correct side of the road).

Also, if a car was only available in LHD and I absolutely must have that model, then fair dos.

Otherwise I'm not sure it makes sense. They cost less, but will always be worth less (unless you happen to have a car that Will wants next). They may also be more difficult to sell/insure.

And on older cars I'm not sure the cost differential is such that one couldn't afford the premium for a pukka UK spec car if one set their mind to it?

Murph7355 is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Murph

PS I was typing that as Will posted - must be psychic

Are prices really higher on the continent? Perhaps comparing LHD (UK) with LHD (Continent). But are LHD (Continent) more expensive than RHD (UK)?

And who wants the hassle of selling a car abroad?

jtremlett is offline Overpriced piece of old tat - Ferrari 250 GTO Club Member
    Name
    J Tremlett

Quote Originally Posted by Murph7355 View Post
    If you want to look more like Jonny Foreigner, grow a moustache, wear tight trousers and avoid washing for several months instead.

If I were driving the car a serious amount on the continent, I'd consider one. But as it is, I avoid them (don't feel comfortable driving them on the correct side of the road).

Also, if a car was only available in LHD and I absolutely must have that model, then fair dos.

Otherwise I'm not sure it makes sense. They cost less, but will always be worth less (unless you happen to have a car that Will wants next). They may also be more difficult to sell/insure.

And on older cars I'm not sure the cost differential is such that one couldn't afford the premium for a pukka UK spec car if one set their mind to it?
    Well I do drive my car a lot on the Continent. I also drive my RHD BMW a lot on the Continent. You feel comfortable after a few minutes the first time you try it, in my experience. After that it is entirely normal.

Insurance makes no difference. Again in my experience, most insurers don't care about LHD and don't ask (though I am always sure to volunteer it).

In Japan, a RHD market, all exotic cars including all Ferraris are sold as LHD (some strange cachet thing).

Most of the LHD/RHD thing is about perception rather than practice.

Jonathan

WillW is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430
    Name

Quote Originally Posted by Murph7355 View Post
    Are prices really higher on the continent? Perhaps comparing LHD (UK) with LHD (Continent). But are LHD (Continent) more expensive than RHD (UK)?

And who wants the hassle of selling a car abroad?
    I compared LHD UK vs Continent. Not much difference between UK RHD and continent LHD, maybe years ago but not anymore. But you are right, RHD has more buyers here. but if it's any rares model, then you propably don't sell it yourself and tehn no probs for sellign to continent. Remember when new price difference is in the region of 2kú (e..g with Porsche) as you can order UK spec RHD car also outside UK...

Murph can put Union Jack vinyl sticker in his roof but this country has so many people now who rather drive LHD than RHD so welcome to 21st century...

Joking aside, as I said, better to test it and then make your mind. Some people like, some people don't like, quite easy...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast