Thread: Potential Purchase - Advice Needed

Name
    X

Default Potential Purchase - Advice Needed

Guys,

been chatting with a few people about getting a half decent daily run around. Ferrari's & Lambo's are out of the question at moment as I've only got street parking where I live.

I've been looking since I got back from Europe and thought I'd found a really decent motor last weekend. The spec and mileage all looked perfect.

Anyway, cut a long story short I've been doing a bit research via the forums and it looks like the car I've seen was involved in a smash at some point. Romours are that the insurance company paid out roughly 45% of the car value as a repair bill but it wasn't recorded as a right off. The selling price doesn't reflect the history but the owner is probably unaware that I know about the smash.

If the car was fixed by a dealer should I still consider it or should I just walk away? The only reason I'm asking is that even for an everyday car it is pretty rare with only 400ish examples in the UK.

Don't want to say what car or forum as it not's publically posted so don't want to get anynoe in trouble.

Murph7355 is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Murph

Personally I'd walk. There are very, very few monocoque cars (i.e. the vast majority on sale today) that are as good after being repaired IMO.

The only way I'd even consider it would be to see receipts for the work, talk to the place who did it and get it independently inspected (independent from dealer, repairer and vendor).

Not a Bimmer is it...

Name
    X

Quote Originally Posted by Murph7355 View Post
    Personally I'd walk. There are very, very few monocoque cars (i.e. the vast majority on sale today) that are as good after being repaired IMO.

The only way I'd even consider it would be to see receipts for the work, talk to the place who did it and get it independently inspected (independent from dealer, repairer and vendor).

Not a Bimmer is it...
    Cheers Murph, I don't know if I should mention it to the owner or just leave it and walk away. Just a real shame because you see something you really like than you find out it's not what you thought.

Just glad that I know now before I went back to leave a deposit or worse bought it.

Sorry can't say what car it is for obvious reason

Name
    Nigel R

Don't walk away, RUN! I wouldn't touch it either.

Murph7355 is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Murph

If you're going to walk, I wouldn't bother saying anything - won't help the seller at all now, nor does it benefit you.

If you want the car badly enough to continue considering it, let him know what you've found (in the same way that you'd point out stonechips etc - and avoid using your approach on other threads here ) and start looking at ways of alleviating concern (inspections, money off so that when you sell it you don't get spanked etc).

400's not that rare you know. Was sure the last M5 was sold in around these numbers is all, and wouldn't surpirse me to see a few of those with "history"

Name
    X

Quote Originally Posted by Murph7355 View Post
    400's not that rare you know. Was sure the last M5 was sold in around these numbers is all, and wouldn't surpirse me to see a few of those with "history"
    Definitely not an M5, looked into this a couple of years back but a friend who worked for BMW told me that the servicing costs were big. I'm sure they made way more than 400 M5's??????