Thread: 308 QV electronic ignition?

Default 308 QV electronic ignition?

Has anyone have any experience with upgrading the standard fuel injection system to an electronic ignition system with an ecu etc.

I notice there are a few kits arounds, but what are the advantages or pitfalls of doing this.

Thanks in advance.

Iain is offline Overpriced piece of old tat - Ferrari 250 GTO Club Member
    Name
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    Has anyone have any experience with upgrading the standard fuel injection system to an electronic ignition system with an ecu etc.

I notice there are a few kits arounds, but what are the advantages or pitfalls of doing this.

Thanks in advance.
    Two things confused here - the ignition system i.e. the std Marrelli stuff, & the Bosch K-Jet injection system. These are pretty much independent systems on the car

There's a fair few people in the states who have upgraded one or both - have look on FChat in the tech & 308 sections.

With regard to the ignition, advantages would be the ability to mess with the ignition timing & mapping & so to tune the car a bit - but its not entirely straightforward & you need to know & understand what you are doing.

WHat it would not be is a route to unlock significant horsepower on its own. When added to throttle bodies or carbs etc (or a supercharger) + head work then it becomes a necessity to make the most of the other stuff....

It can also help folks with older 308s/GT4s by doing away with the old style points in the ignition system & so reducing the faffing about & maintenace associated with those.

Only time I would consider it is if you have a big failure in the standard setup (i.e. you are looking at a lot of money to replace standard coils or a digiplex anyway) or if you are on a serious mission to find more power & also doing head work & fuel system work as well.

On its own, just for the sake of it, on a QV I don't think its going to deliver very much for the money.

Upgrading the Bosch Injection system to something like throttle bodies (there is a bloke in the states who is about to create manifolds to take standard Suzuki throttle bodies) will give you much better control over fuelling & so more power. BUT, the standard heads seem to be a bit of a dog from a gas-flow point of view & so you'd probably want to fix them first.

The 308 QV/328 engines are really not easy to improve unless you spend a lot of money & there is very little adjustment you can make to the standard setup.

Hope that helps

Iain
    Last edited by Iain; 10-10-2007 at 01:40 PM.

Name
    Roland

Default 308 qv electronic ignition

A very clear and precise answer,

So what are the areas of the 308 QV engine system that can be played with at a reasonable cost, to give some more power/torque and economy, without totally altering the whole feel of the car?

I take it that the usual air filter and exhaust aftermarket fitments will give a small rise in power and torque economically.

Does anyone know of the optimum distributor coil make/model and which spark plugs work best with it and the QV engine?

Iain is offline Overpriced piece of old tat - Ferrari 250 GTO Club Member
    Name
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by rolster View Post
    A very clear and precise answer,

So what are the areas of the 308 QV engine system that can be played with at a reasonable cost, to give some more power/torque and economy, without totally altering the whole feel of the car?

I take it that the usual air filter and exhaust aftermarket fitments will give a small rise in power and torque economically.

Does anyone know of the optimum distributor coil make/model and which spark plugs work best with it and the QV engine?
    Pretty much as you have said - maybe an exhaust (although those tend to be really for the sound more than anything) & I doubt there is much to be gained from an aftermarket airfilter. For spark plugs, use NGKs, end-of.

The KJet injection is almost un-tuneable as I understand it so nothing you can do with it is going to give you any more fuel economy. There is a bit of messing around that can be done with the warm up regulator (using it to basically fool the KJet & deliver a bit more juice) but frankly its just scratching round the edges.

While the QV still uses distributors, its got breakerless electronic ignition (The Marelli Digiplex thing). However, much like the injection system, there is nothing to play with. The most you can do easily is the obvious - i.e. make sure everything is in good working order, the cam timing is right and things like dizzy caps, rotor arms, plug extenders & ignition leads are in good repair.

The standard setup works pretty well - but what has emerged from work being done in the States is that the engines are fundamentally flawed in the cylinder head gas flow area. It seems the inlet valves are too small & the standard exhaust valves are almost too big for the thing to breathe properly. That coupled with rigid ignition and injection systems means there is almost nothing you can do to them without junking the lot , taking the heads off to sort them out and starting all over again with injection and ignition. On the positive side, the short motor and the transmissions are nice & strong & so will take an extra 100 HP or so without any complaint.

One of the most interesting projects I have seen of late is the guy who has developed a fairly low pressure supercharger kit that will fit QV's & 328s. It works with the standard injection although you do need to fit a more advanced electronic ignition.

There are some pics of it on FChat - really very neat & will deliver an extra 75-90 Hp very easily. I can't recall what (if anything) he's done with his heads & cams though and I can't say I'm keen on the "boy racer" pop-off valve noise on the upshifts but the installation is fantastically neat and completely reversible as far as I can see. Very, very clever stuff.

The 328 engine is pretty much in the same boat. As a benchmark on that one I know that the boys at QV have taken one of those upto 390 odd BHP (from 270) with high comp pistons, some head work, throttle bodies and a revised ignition system - but then it is a track car !

If you want to get more performance from a 308/328 then I actually think the first places to look at improving would be the suspension, the brakes and then trying to lose some weight out the car. In the case of a 308QV, if you were going to add power then you should also add extra coooling because it is definitely a bit more on the marginal side. 328 is much better in this area.

I.
    Last edited by Iain; 10-10-2007 at 11:48 PM.

Name
    Roland

Default 308 qv electronic ignition

Iain

Many thanks for your very informative and expansive answer