Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tatty 365GT4 as daily driver?

Name
    stuart

Default Tatty 365GT4 as daily driver?

I'm after some thoughts on running a 365GT4 as a daily driver.

I've been speaking to a guy who's looking to sell a 1973 manual car. Hasn't been run for ten years but does (allegedly) all still work. Body is said to be very good with a bit of rust on one front wing and some bubbles around the front 'screen.
    If it does all work, I'd be looking to just use it as a pretty cool car to get me a few miles each day to the train station in the winter (bike whenever possible - very green ) and be a great rat car .
    There is something about 365/400 as a tatty (or well used rather) runner that really appeals. Fixing things when they break and bare essential maintenance only.

I know these cars can be horrendous when it comes to cost of maintenance but anybody have any thoughts/experiences

rmdferrari is offline Crop rotation in the 14th century was CONSIDERABLY more widespread after John... Banned user
    Name
    Richard

I think that's a fantastic idea. Throw a bucket of water over it every now and again to clear off the salt, change the oil.... and that's it.

Very 60'-70's image with a kinda Jason King/Tony Curtis "raffish" devil-may-care attitude, which I think is way beyond cool.

So that'll be a "yes" from me.

Murph7355 is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Murph

I think you might be asking for trouble.

The "bits of rust" that have been noted now will turn into additional air vents if you use the car over winter untreated. And once you start picking these cars apart to fix bits, you are likely to end in a world of pain financially.

And as a home-station car, I can think of few worse - fuel consumption, never getting properly warmed up, big old bus to park/manoeuvre, expensive when bits fall off etc.

Admire you for wanting to keep one on the road, and think they are going to return to fashion soon so may represent a decent buy if you buy a good one and look after it, but as a rat run car I'm not sure it makes sense.

Name
    John

I say go for it.

But as Andy says you could be asking for trouble. Especially if something big lets go. But I suppose it all depends on the price you can pick it up for and how much of the work you can do yourself.

Other than that... Very Cool.

Murph7355 is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Murph

Only one on Autotrader is 34k. Cheapest LHD one on mobile.de is a similar price.

400/412s are cheaper at around the 20k mark, but still no longer "cheap" in my opinion considering the potential downside.

If you're getting one for significantly less than that, you're going to have to ask yourself why - tin worm will take hold quickly if not addressed properly (etc).

If it's not significantly less, is it really fulfilling the role of "smoker" for you properly?

If you want a big bruiser to use like this, what about a big old Merc V8? Or maybe a Jag XJR?

Or if you fancy Italian, I might be inclined to go Dark Side with an Espada (half the price of 365s) or perhaps a Urraco (smaller, more chuckable. Not as pricey as a 308GT4 - and you don't hear that too often ;)).

Name
    stuart

The one I'm looking at is considerably cheaper and I think the best model -
    a 365 manual on carbs.
    It's being sold as a restoration project but does fully run (brakes will need a bit of a overhaul I think but they shouldn't pose too much of a problem) and have a great interior.
    A running 365 manual carb engine is probably worth more that the asking price for the car. So I figure I can't loose (well, too much anyway!)

Fraccie is offline Don't mention the war! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right Club Member
    Name
    Ade

Stuart, I would be inclined to price up parts and parts availability before taking the plunge.Have the exhausts been done? I think its engine out to change the front sections. Good luck with it, but be careful, it could be a money pit.

Dependant on how far you want to go with this car I would also get a quote for bodywork as well. Alsaautomotive, sponsor on here, should be able to give you a good guide on the bodywork.

Admire your bottle all the same.......
    4052'31.17"N............. 2920'25.48"E

Name
    julian

Stuart

I ran a 800 78 BMW 635 as on old nail a few years ago so have been down a similar route.

I guess the two things you need to be aware of are serious rust and fuel, especially if running the car through winter. Can you weld or at least got a mate with a MIG?

At a quid a gallon be prepared to spend some time on your local forecourt, even with a modest mileage it will add up. Have you thought about an LPG conversion? Someone must have tried it on a 365/400.

Would make a super-cool everyday car.

Good Luck

Julian

Name
    Dan

There is a guy on the other site that runs a 400 as a daily driver.

My main concern would be sorting the litany of minor problems related to it not being used for such a long time e.g. hoses, oil seals etc. The expense soon adds up. But if you can get it cheap enough then you could run it till it breaks then sell it for bits?

Name
    stuart

I've got a pretty decent mig welder, restored a few Alfa's & Lancia's in the past, so use to crap Italian metal and should be able to deal with any rot that will be an issue.
    I should be only doing c.50 miles a week, as we use my wifes Merc estate as the 'family' car, so fuel costs aren't too much of an issue.

I'll be checking out the price of some parts - that could be the only killer!
    But having run old Italian cars, one becomes quite resourceful with where you can get parts from and just what can be rebuilt/manufactured by machine shops. I quite enjoy the challenge at times

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast