Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 355 - Engine out major service with belts - what did yours cost?

Name
    Paul

Default 355 - Engine out major service with belts - what did yours cost?

Hi All
    Im planning to book my 1995 355 GTB in for a full service and Belts (engine out). From my experience with cars in general, there is bound to be a list of things that need fixing that I dont expect, so Im Going to budget 3.5K for this (hopefully it wont go over that)

Who has had this done and how much did it cost?
    Cheers
    Paul

Name
    Gavin

I was budgeting a meager 2k for the service & belts on the 348 in April.

Name
    Jim

I had exactly the same service done on my '95 GTB in Sept. Total cost inc an MOT was under 2k. Admittedly prices up here in Scottyland are less than in Englandshire.

Name
    Dave McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by renmure View Post
    I had exactly the same service done on my '95 GTB in Sept. Total cost inc an MOT was under 2k. Admittedly prices up here in Scottyland are less than in Englandshire.
    As we both had ours done at the same place but my car is younger than Jim"s my bill came out for both at about 1800. Call for a quote ask for Carlo.
    http://www.topgear-cars.co.uk/pages/topgear.php

Name
    Darrell

Sheldon,

Wed love to have the opportunity of finding you a great deal check out the web site http://www.route324.com and gives us a try.

Terry is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Expert
    Name
    Terry

Paul, you should be clear about what you want from the service before looking for the cheapest price, i.e. have the work done to a specification rather than a price.

Do you want just the cam belts done, in situ (no engine removal) plus the service items which should return the cheapest price.

Do you want the engine removed and have some preventive maintenance performed?

- Water pump bearing/seals
    - Accessory drive belts
    - cam belt tensioner bearings (perhaps the better Hill version)
    - cam belt tensioners
    - water hoses
    - radiator flush and check
    - engine mounts

etc etc etc

The above list is just an example and you may want to do more. Then there may be the odd defect whilst the work is being performed.

So decide the approach, specify your requirements, then make some calls.

Name
    360trev

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Paul, you should be clear about what you want from the service before looking for the cheapest price, i.e. have the work done to a specification rather than a price.

Do you want just the cam belts done, in situ (no engine removal) plus the service items which should return the cheapest price.

Do you want the engine removed and have some preventive maintenance performed?

- Water pump bearing/seals
    - Accessory drive belts
    - cam belt tensioner bearings (perhaps the better Hill version)
    - cam belt tensioners
    - water hoses
    - radiator flush and check
    - engine mounts

etc etc etc

The above list is just an example and you may want to do more. Then there may be the odd defect whilst the work is being performed.

So decide the approach, specify your requirements, then make some calls.

+1 Good advice Terry.

Also if your having the engine out may as well get it steam cleaned and have all crackle paint re-finished if its looking tired.

Name
    Paul

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the replies.
    Basically I am going to use a garage that I have used in the past (well known independent) as I have been happy with their work and their customer service.

In terms of getting the work done, I do want the engine out to get the belts done because while it is out I want to get anything done that needs doing, such as tensioners, hoses and also the rocker covers resprayed.

When I bought my car I knew it was an older example and would need work doing over time, so I have some budget to get things fixed and dont want to skimp on anything. This may sound a bit like im opening my self up to be ripped off, but I do trust the garage thats doing the work.

Terry, thanks for the advice, i'll speak to the garage about the list of things they normally check when the engines out and mention these items.

Thanks
    Paul

Name
    Paul

Also, Terry on your point....

you should be clear about what you want from the service before looking for the cheapest price

Im not really looking for the cheapest price as I dont want to skimp on my car. When starting the thread I was just interested to see what issues or work has cropped up for people when having this kind of service done

Cheers
    Paul.

Name
    iain

Further to renmure and matkats posts, earlier today i spoke to Carlo at Topgear regards to booking my 355 in for a cambelt service... was a little surprised that he normally goes for the replacing of the belts without engine removal, but as i have asked to have camcovers refinished, seals replaced, sparkplugs replaced and a check on anything else that may need attention, he is going to do the engine removal, for the same price as non-removal.
    I am in agreement with Terrys thoughts, and i am kinda glad that i don't have his ability, as if i was doing it myself, i am a wee bit unsure where i would stop at replacing bits here and there just while the engine was out!
    From speaking to Carl at Verdi, he also does the belts without engine removal; like Carlo, he feels that everytime the engine is removed and then replaced, it may lead to something getting disturbed or squished!
    My tuppenceworth is that i am happy with whichever method, as long as it is carried out by someone whom knows, and cares what they are doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast