Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Pre War Single Seater

t1grm is offline It's basically an old car with a stripe - The Ferrari Challenge Stradale Club Member
    ii

Awesome! Do you keep a diary of how many hours you put in on a project like this? Would really be interested in how many man hours a project like this consumes.

Name
    Steve Hennessy

What an absolute work of art!!!

Many thanks for all your kind words.

Its been in build for just under 2 years, I try to work on it almost every day, but some days that may be for 20 mins, other days 20 hours! I have many pictures but don't keep a record of the hours. Hope to have it finished and running in the summer. Al's going to paint it for me and should make more progress after the Stoneleigh Show.

I'm not planning to do any more cars in the near future, moving to Devon soon and I have always wanted to restore a wooden yacht, I'll have the space so maybe a Hillyard 7 or 9 ton will be next!

Name
    Rasp

Quote Originally Posted by Harmitc View Post

I'm not planning to do any more cars in the near future, moving to Devon soon and I have always wanted to restore a wooden yacht, I'll have the space so maybe a Hillyard 7 or 9 ton will be next!
    Up to Wally standards I hope I'm sure it will be..

Name
    lardy

only just come across this thread - excellent detailed work - really appeals to the Aero engineer in me - great job !

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

Actually - we could do with an update on this one

Name
    richard williamson

Hi Bernard,

fascintating project, an amazing amount of time and effort must have gone it to it, superb and a joy to see.

You have a close up of teh brake in one of your pics. Out of interest, is that a typical design of the era, to double up on the pads? Also, the mounting of the pads looks quite a high quality fixing, is that period also?

I can't see where the brake cylinder would fix. Just curios as how things work always catch my eye and this kind of project is particularly interesting. If you ever get board and want to fix a TVR, let me know!!

Cheers,

Richard.

Name
    dasadrew

Quote Originally Posted by richardwilliamson View Post
    I can't see where the brake cylinder would fix.........
    I would have thought that the brakes were cable operated.

Doubling the pads is not comman, but I used a 60's magnesium front brake shoe from an MV Agusta motorcycle that I was able to adapt due to being a similar size. All the other parts excepting the shoe I had to make from scratch. The shoes are expanded into the drum via two sets of cams acting on the leading edges of the shoes hence "twin leading shoe", the cams are rotated via cables (the cable guides are in another picture). Front and rears and adjustable for bias via the mounting at the pedal. Rear shoes are machined from solid with modern linings bonded to them (shown in another pic).

You can run hydraulics on pre war cars but cables work well if correctly set up and don't seize up on cars like this that are not often used!

Unfortunately having moved house in the last year, I've turned from car builder to house builder so progress is very slow! But the next project is the workshop and once completed I'll have the time to work on it again!

Well its starting to look like a car now, still lots of small jobs to do but hopefully running in the summer.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast