Thread: Electronic ignition conversion for 1977 GTB

Name
    Tom Pike

Default Electronic ignition conversion for 1977 GTB

Hello,
    I am thinking of doing the above work to my car and have found a company,Jolley Engineering of Malvern who state they can convert my existing distributor to a magnetic as opposed to optical system with all the workings contained in the distributor, the only giveaway being two wires coming from it instead of one with no additional boxes or wires.May I ask whether anyone has done this conversion or can recommend it? Thanks, Tom

Fraccie is offline Don't mention the war! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right Club Member
    Name
    Ade

Sorry Tom, no knowledge or experience of it.Dave Todd,Sweeni, was talking about it at Oulton Park though, I think it is popular amongst the track day cars.......
    4052'31.17"N............. 2920'25.48"E

rmdferrari is offline Crop rotation in the 14th century was CONSIDERABLY more widespread after John... Banned user
    Name
    Richard

Tom, no experience here either. ('78 GT4). If you go this route please post up your findings.

Name
    Mark Hannaford

The system you're thinking of is the PerTronix Ignitor.
    It is magnetically triggered and as such is impervious to oil,water,dirt and dust.
    Check on the distributor number you have. It will be a 3 digit number prefixed with
    an S. The kit that is available off the shelf is for the S127 distributor and is for the
    dual point with 4 lobe cam unit. This kit has 2 modules in it so there will be 2 sets
    of 2 wires coming out of it. If your distributor has any other number, Jolley will
    do a custom kit using the Pertronix components. With all the parts contained
    within the distributor, it makes for a very clean installation and there are no boxes
    or anything else to mount in the engine bay. The Ignitor comes with a 2 1/2 year
    warranty. I would strongly recommend you change the coils to the PerTronix
    Flamethrower ones to get an even better performance benefit and safeguard the
    life of the modules as old coils tend to break down when used on electronic systems.
    Why do I know about them? I run Pertronix Europe and Jolley is a customer of mine.
    You're welcome to call and have a chat about if you wish,I can give you a bit more info.
    We do kits for the Dino 206/246, 308, 365 and some Lambos.
    01276 65554 ask for Mark

Name
    lardy

I converted a 308GT4 twin disti to DTA elctronic management (full mapping via PC hookup), running twin Peugeut coils fired by the DTA - mounted in place of the distributors on the end of the cam housings - , had to add a timing ring to the crank.

Name
    Tom Pike

Default Electronic ignition conversion for 308 GTB

Hello again and thanks to everyone that replied.Mark, I'll give you a ring in the morning as your company,Pertronix has been recommended and suggested as the one I was looking for.I found Jolley Engineering in a Classic Car magazine and when I contacted them the gent gave the distinct impression that they manufactured the system themselves and would require me to send my distributor to them so they could design and fit the unit as they did not have off the shelf systems for Ferrari,hence my reservations and seeking advice from Ferrarichat, so thanks again for the replies and if I decide to change, probably end of summer as she is running fine at the moment, and will coincide with cambelt change and service,I'll post and let you know how I got on.
    Regards,Tom