Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Smokey 355

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Crawley
    Name
    Femi
    Posts
    15

    Default Smokey 355

    Hi all I hope you can help, just bourght a 355 2.7 LHD knowing it had a cracked manifold which will be replaced shortly, the problem is the car has been sat for a few weeks on a drive which was on a downhill slope.(trying to give as much information here which may or may not be relevant) The car when we tested it before purchase was not smoking however now it is smoking.
    Strange thing is when it is cold no smoke when it is hot and reved on acceleration it pours out.
    it smells oily ( i am prayng its not the piston rings) any ideas?

  2. #2
    ric355's Avatar
    ric355 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Name
    Richard
    Posts
    3,438

    Default

    Did you get a compression test done as part of the PPI? If so, what were the results?

  3. #3
    Iain is offline Overpriced piece of old tat - Ferrari 250 GTO Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    .
    Name
    Iain
    Posts
    7,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by femski View Post
    Hi all I hope you can help, just bourght a 355 2.7 LHD knowing it had a cracked manifold which will be replaced shortly, the problem is the car has been sat for a few weeks on a drive which was on a downhill slope.(trying to give as much information here which may or may not be relevant) The car when we tested it before purchase was not smoking however now it is smoking.
    Strange thing is when it is cold no smoke when it is hot and reved on acceleration it pours out.
    it smells oily ( i am prayng its not the piston rings) any ideas?
    Valve guides would be a good bet on a 355.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Crawley
    Name
    Femi
    Posts
    15

    Default

    The car was checked at Verdi they did a full test I will ask them for a copy of the report, and let you know, valve guides are a recall I think? anyone know for sure.
    Verdi said it could be the fact the exhaust manifold is leaking.
    Last edited by femski; 14-07-2008 at 05:21 PM. Reason: spelling

  5. #5
    ric355's Avatar
    ric355 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Name
    Richard
    Posts
    3,438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by femski View Post
    The car was checked at Verdi they did a full test I will ask them for a copy of the report, and let you know, valve guides are a recall I think? anyone know for sure.
    Valve guides are not a recall unfortunately (as far as I am aware).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Crawley
    Name
    Femi
    Posts
    15

    Default

    I wonder what the cost of that would be to correct

  7. #7
    ric355's Avatar
    ric355 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Name
    Richard
    Posts
    3,438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by femski View Post
    I wonder what the cost of that would be to correct
    I didn't jump right in with it because I didn't want to scare you but it can be circa 10k for a rebuild. Depends who does it and what exactly needs doing.

    Lets wait and see what the problem actually is first though before we worry about it too much Could be something far simpler.

  8. #8
    Iain is offline Overpriced piece of old tat - Ferrari 250 GTO Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    .
    Name
    Iain
    Posts
    7,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by femski View Post
    I wonder what the cost of that would be to correct
    It'd mean a complete rebuild of both heads with new guids & new valves all round most likely - aka a small fortune.

    But best not to get ahead of yourself here. Take the thing to someone like QV or Rardley & get them to do a propper diagnosis.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Reading
    Name
    Larry Lamb
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Assuming you have checked the obvious and verified the oil level is correct as per procedure in manual?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Crawley
    Name
    Femi
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Good point I will do that now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Charging my 355 battery....
    By slick355 in forum Technical Q & A
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-10-2010, 06:05 PM
  2. Should I buy a 355?
    By sheldon in forum Ferrari Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-03-2007, 11:05 AM
  3. 355 cam timing.....
    By ferrari-spider in forum Technical Q & A
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-12-2006, 03:05 PM
  4. 348 or 355 sound?
    By MRSWEETY in forum Ferrari Talk
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 30-05-2006, 11:56 AM
  5. Ravi 355 - 1997 F355 GTB
    By Club Scuderia in forum Buyers Guides, Restorations and Running Reports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2006, 08:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •