Thread: Can you help? - re Ford Streetka

Name
    Lord Adam

Default Can you help? - re Ford Streetka

My girlf has an 04 Ford Street ka, you know, the little 2 seater soft top.

She has a problem with the roof. When putting the roof back up (after it stores away) there is a part that kind of pushes in and goes out of allignment. So when closing the door it leaves an inch gap. This can be resolved using a crowbar and simply popping the part out again and back into allignment and everything is rosy again.

However, she can't be using a crowbar everytime she has to put the roof up so she went to Ford and they said it a common problem. The only thing they can do is put a new roof on for £2k. I don't think the car is worth that!

Can anyone help this poor little KA?

Name
    Lord Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adz man View Post
    My girlf has an 04 Ford Street ka, you know, the little 2 seater soft top.

She has a problem with the roof. When putting the roof back up (after it stores away) there is a part that kind of pushes in and goes out of allignment. So when closing the door it leaves an inch gap. This can be resolved using a crowbar and simply popping the part out again and back into allignment and everything is rosy again.

However, she can't be using a crowbar everytime she has to put the roof up so she went to Ford and they said it a common problem. The only thing they can do is put a new roof on for £2k. I don't think the car is worth that!

Can anyone help this poor little KA?
    I'll take that as a no Off to see a welder that I know next week who should be able to take out the weak joint and replace it. Fingers crossed

Murph7355 is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Murph

Sorry Adz. Can't help.

My sister has one, but the roof's OK with hers.

Have you checked all the attachment points to check they're all tight enough? If it goes back OK but goes out of whack, it sounds like something might be loose (or even too tight/something stuck in the mechanism?).

Name
    Xmun

Quote Originally Posted by Adz man View Post
    My girlf has an 04 Ford Street ka,

This can be resolved using a crowbar and simply popping the part out again and back into allignment and everything is rosy again.
    The crow bar is being used in the wrong place -should have been used when the idea of buying a street ka was even considered

Name
    Dan

It does sound like something's out of alignment causing loading of the part that bends. If you keep bending it, it will fatigue and snap sooner rather than later. It's the sort of problem a decent mechanic might be able to fix through adjustment, but I'd steer well clear of a main dealer on this one.

Name
    Lord Adam

Thanks chaps (apart from Ace )

The welder I know can do anything within his trade, he's a real genius and he seems to think it's no major problem. Hope he still says that when he sees it!

Murph7355 is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Murph

Unless you know that something has actually broken, I'm not sure I'd be getting a welder on the case...

Name
    Richard

Expect he'll probably weld it shut. That'll fix it.