Thread: restoring a car - cant decide between Rosso Corsa(s) or Rosso Chiaro

Name
    GUY CARNEGIE

Default restoring a car - cant decide between Rosso Corsa(s) or Rosso Chiaro

I'm restoring a 1966 Triumph car, but feel that triumphs own "signal red" is simply too orange - and the next best "carmine red" is too magenta. I simply want "Ferrari red".

I had no idea it would be so difficult!

Ideally I'd want a period colour (from the sixties) and it seems that corsa didn't come along until around 1980. The sixties colour was apparently Rosso Chiaro, right? I just worry that it would be too orange / almost a terracotta red. I'm looking for a brilliant fiery red.

As such, I've ordered Rosso Corsa 300 - straight 300, plain version with no /6, /9 or /12 switch. That said, it's murder trying to find pictures of cars in all these colours under the same lighting to see which I prefer.

Is it the case that all the corsa colours are so similar that you wouldn't notice unless you had two panelds next to eachother, or are they different enough for an experienced eye to determine by looking at the car on it's own?

Does anyone have any pictures of cars in 1960's Rosso Chiaro? is it a strong red or a "burnt" red? I see a fair number of 1960's cars resprayed in Corsa for some reason...
    Last edited by bluphoto; 24-06-2009 at 07:07 AM.

Name
    Neil

Use an original Triumph colour

Name
    GUY CARNEGIE

Thanks Neil, but I've already had the chassis painted in a red epoxy, and it will stick out like a sore thumb against any of the Triumph colours.

The mechanics of the car are quite heavily modified, so I'm not shooting for ultimate originality. Lets call it a "Maranello edition" - after all it was designed by an Italian...(Michelotti)

Any ideas about the different shades of Corsa or Chiaro?

thanks
    Guy

Name
    Neil

OK Guy,so what have you got?What mods?&&&&&&&&&&&

Name
    GUY CARNEGIE

Mk1 GT6, but last thing I'm here in a Ferrari forum for is to show off my half restored Triumph.

If you're interested though... http://www.flickr.com/photos/9356902...7619524023761/

as far as mods are concerned a few that spring to mind...

2500 engine bored out to 2700cc (had to offset bore that one so technically it's now a V6, not a straight six, though the vee is only about half a degree!)
    big valve head ported and polished
    285 kent cam
    triple weber 40 dcoe's
    carbon style 6-2 extractor tubular manifold and stainless exh system
    I redid the dash and clocks to my own liking.
    Gearbox is custom plus late overdrive
    Quaife LSD @3.63 instead of standard 3.89
    wider rear track and swing spring rr susp.
    Weill be doing lots of electrical mods as well to get the car "up to date"

I actually think it's quite "classic Ferrari looking" - albeit smaller.

No idea about the colours???
    Last edited by bluphoto; 24-06-2009 at 08:11 AM.

ronrob is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Ronald Brown

Guy,

Just slideshowed my way through your pics! Congratulations on the dedication to such a mammoth task. I'm sure that you have replaced well over half of that car! Might not be to everyone's taste to paint your Triumph in some shade of Ferrari red, but personally I think you should use any colour you like.
    I cannot answer your questions regarding period colours - hopefully somebody on this forum will chime in with the necessary. If not, go to the rival site based in the USA .... www.ferrarichat.com. The americans are, of course, much more "off the wall"!!
    All the best on your great project,

Ron

Name
    Larry Lamb

Great looking project - always admire those with the gumption to soldier through a task like this. As for paint colours and Rosso Corsa, send a PM to Alsaautomotive on here and ask him to have a look or comment... he does 'painting' for a living.... (have a search for threads by him, you will like what you see )

jtremlett is offline Overpriced piece of old tat - Ferrari 250 GTO Club Member
    Name
    J Tremlett

Quote Originally Posted by bluphoto View Post
    ...Any ideas about the different shades of Corsa or Chiaro?...
    You would be hard-pressed to tell variants of Rosso Corsa from one another and variants of Rosso Chiaro from Rosso Corsa even if you had examples side-by-side. Indeed, cars that are actually Rosso Chiaro are often described as Rosso Corsa.

Jonathan

Name
    Neil

Great motor of the era

Name
    Xmun

Quote Originally Posted by tiganut View Post
    Great motor of the era
    When I got the samples for restoring my 348 there was also one which was Ferrari Rosso F1. That looked like a beutiful red too!