Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running a 360 as a daily driver ?

Name
    John

Default Running a 360 as a daily driver ?

Afternoon folks, new to the forum here and got a couple of questions.

Have been running porsches the last 3-4 years, but am now looking at a F360 as my daily driver. We'll still have another 'family' car for shopping, kids, days out etc etc, but how practical is a 360 going to be as a daily driver ?

I carry very little luggage other than a laptop and sometimes a small suitcase, I don't have time to play golf either so don't need to worry about golf clubs !

I do 8,000-10,000 miles per year, so how would I find servicing costs compared to a Porsche annual service or sometimes 20k service intervals (with my last one there, a Cayman S) ?

I can't stretch to a new Ferrari, so it would be a 360 with around 20k-30k on the clock.

Also, what are the main things that could go wrong with this model at this sort of mileage, and what costs could I be looking at ? Need to know how much to budget per year for servicing and potential repairs.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated, thanks for your time.
    Last edited by Rafferj; 22-07-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Name
    jos

Welcome

There's at least one 360 in London used daily with a mileage around 100 000

For service costs see (for example) http://www.verdiferrari.biz/servicing.htm

Buying guide : http://www.walkersport.co.uk/360-buying-guide.htm

And generally have a sniff around this site - try a search on something like 360 buying

Several of the threads might ask how special would the car feel if you were using it every day ? You may feel it worth investing a couple of grand in a Focus (or similar) for day to day rather than spend it in maintenance and/or wear&tear on the 360

Name
    John

Wow, thanks for the details Jos and the quick response.

Just read both of those, very helpful. Looks like I should try and trim my annual mileage to around 6k then and as you say, do the other 4k in the 'family' car.

I know its hard to say exactly, but what value would a 360 have in 3 years time. I'm looking at a couple between 40k-45k, with 25,000 miles on the clock. Am I likely to get 50% of my money back in 3 years if I stick to the 6k miles per annum and main dealer servicing ?

JohnJStewart is offline Only useful for school runs - The Ferrari 308GT4 Club Member
    Name
    John Stewart

Default Daily driver 360

You sound like you're in the situation I was in just over a year ago.

I sold my 996 after 10 years of Porsche ownership, realised that the 997 is just too smooth and the market is flooded with second hand ones so prices are tumbling and secondly that F360's were now down to under 50k (now low 40's).

I don't think that they are really a daily driver for a few reasons:

1. The battery is prone to going flat after a few days so the park at the airport or railway whilst away on business is not practical.

2. The depreciation because of mileage is high - so each daily drive is costing a lot of money and if it's commuting then that's probably less fun than you really want to be getting from a 360.

3. High mileage = extra services and they are costly.

4. You're more likely to get some sort of damage/vandalism as you'd be leaving it out and about more so odds are increased.

5. You need to run the engine for a few minutes before you drive off - not very practical at 6.00 am as you head off to work especially with a nice LOUD sports exhaust - the neighbours will love you! My neighbour bogs off at 5.30 a.m. in his 996 and we never hear him leave. On the two occasions I left in the 360 - the whole street commented when I got home!

However......

The upside is they are 1000000000 times more fun than most Porsches, people look at you/the car everytime you go out, the noise is awesome, and you don't see many Ferrari's whereas who turns a head for a 110k 997 Turbo. Not many people.

So bottom line for me......

Of course I bought one - but I don't use it as a daily driver as I work in Scotland at the moment and those nice people at Crown Taxis, Flybe and Avis manage to get me from A to B without having to roll out the car. That's what weekends and working at home days are for!!

Happy to discuss 360's if you haven't bought one yet or even if you have....07710835837 is my moby.

Name
    jos

As long as any car has any value in three years the 360 will be underpinned by the 355 etc to some extent so I would guess 25 min even with 50-70 000 miles after three years BUT don't forget there are very acceptable non-main-dealer service options even near you (eg Top Gear) which have been previously discussed here
    Last edited by jos; 22-07-2009 at 01:52 PM.

JohnJStewart is offline Only useful for school runs - The Ferrari 308GT4 Club Member
    Name
    John Stewart

Default Main dealer servicing

I'd think about indies, they are often cheaper and trained by Ferrari with a real passion for the cars not just making money.

I'm sure that there are some near wherever you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafferj View Post
    Wow, thanks for the details Jos and the quick response.

Just read both of those, very helpful. Looks like I should try and trim my annual mileage to around 6k then and as you say, do the other 4k in the 'family' car.

I know its hard to say exactly, but what value would a 360 have in 3 years time. I'm looking at a couple between 40k-45k, with 25,000 miles on the clock. Am I likely to get 50% of my money back in 3 years if I stick to the 6k miles per annum and main dealer servicing ?

Name
    John

Thanks for all that info John !

I sold my Cayman S special edition for 30k, after buying her for almost 50k by the time I'd added in the extras. After losing almost 20k in 18 months, I decided to have a good look around and consider buying a 2nd hand performance car this time around. I've had two porsches and fancy something different this time, and have always liked the look of Ferraris but thought they were out of my price range. Imagine my surprise then, when I started finding 1999 and 2000 models at 38k /39k !

I don't wish to go quite as old as that, but have seen some 5/6 year old ones between 40k & 45k with reasonaby low mileage, so am now quite interested !

If I can run the car for more than 18 months and lose LESS than 20k, then I will consider if to be a good move.

The flat battery thing is a bit of a pain, do you guys carry around a booster pack all the time ? I like to jump in and go, so I guess I may need to plan ahead a little more. I have read that the 360 is the most 'user-friendly' of ferraris which led to my question about it maybe being a daily driver.

Its fair to say that I am definitely interested, and will do some more research over the next few weeks.

Name
    DCS

I ran one as a daily for quite a while. Comfortable for long journeys, boot is more than big enough for a batchelors weekly shop, servicing and running costs arent as eye watering as many would have you believe and they are easily offset by the low depreciation. Mine was Tour de France Blue so used to mingle into the traffic quite nicely too, and never once got a negative reaction.

Do it, lifes too short to worry about ifs, buts and depreciation

Name
    spice

take extra care in the cold slippery months, and always look over your right shoulder in busy town traffic , there is a big blind spot, otherwise very reliable , enjoy

Name
    lamo22xx

Here is the problem with using a supercar everyday, although the clutch is light, steering is light and visibility is not too bad, it's still a Ferrari and as a result draws A LOT of attention. You need to think carefully where you are parking it because there's always a risk that someone might scratch it or vandalise it in some way. The nose is also quite low so you have to watch speed bumps and steep multi story car parks are a no. As long as you have a safeish place to park it and have another car to take the kids and the shopping etc then yes it could easily be used everyday.

As for servicing my 997 C4S is about 400 every 2 years or 20k. A 360 will need done once every year or every 6/7 k. It will cost about twice the price to service, but should be fairly reliable.

I hope that helps and good luck with your search.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast