Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merc SL advice (the old-old-old one)

Name
    Andy

Default Merc SL advice (the old-old-old one)

I'm after a new daily, so thought I'd give a Merc SL a try. I want a R107 model, they were made between 1971 and 1989, and it must be a V8 - so that's the 350, 380, 420, 450 & 500 I think.

I've had a quick look on auto trader and seen a few likely ones in the sub 10K range - actually sub 6K if you ignore the mileage, which I don't think is a problem on these cars.

Anyone got one who could offer some advice on what to look for/avoid etc.

Cheers

Name
    Dave

Andy,

Check for rust, filler, and more rust...

Do not buy one without getting it on a ramp and having a poke around underneath, unless you are comfortable taking a risk of course.

The engines are generally bullet proof

Good luck

Name
    Andrew

Join the MBOC - it is by far their most popular model amongst members and you'll find everything you'll ever need to know on the forum. I had a 1972 350SL - early cars are very different from the runout models that were replaced by the R129 in 1989 though expect to pay 25k for a mint one of those. Strangely the most sought after are the 300SLs - the straight six being seen as the ideal engine having appeared in the W113 (Pagoda) and previous W198 SLs (Gullwing 300SL & American 190SL) which are the old ones.

380s and 420s are generally cheaper as the parts are a bit more expensive.

500SL is the one to have if you like a V8 - though they have the horrible rubber spoiler.

Facelifted cars between 1986 and 1989 are the most desireable so expect to pay more.

Any 'classic' dealer will add a serious premium - Peter Jarvis, Cheshire Classic Benz etc so be prepared to haggle.

Bear in mind any R107 under 10k will have issues of some sort - most notably hidden rust. Check heater plenum, lift all carpets, soft top storage compartment, boot, sills, jacking points etc etc. Whatever you do don't buy a car until you've seen four or five at least.

Name
    DCS

Quote Originally Posted by andy456M View Post
    I'm after a new daily, so thought I'd give a Merc SL a try. I want a R107 model, they were made between 1971 and 1989, and it must be a V8 - so that's the 350, 380, 420, 450 & 500 I think.

I've had a quick look on auto trader and seen a few likely ones in the sub 10K range - actually sub 6K if you ignore the mileage, which I don't think is a problem on these cars.

Anyone got one who could offer some advice on what to look for/avoid etc.

Cheers
    Speak to my old pal Carl Wilford @ www.auto-barn.co.uk hes sold many over the years

Name
    cgt

Have you seen this? Looks pretty nice on the outside (which may or may not be an indication of how things are underneath ) Wasnt the Rock of Gibraltar made of sand?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1398359.htm

Name
    Andrew

It has an electric hood which is a very rare extra. It is currently disconnected but would be simple to re-connect.

Certainly not a factory extra. The electric hood was offered by a now out-of-business American company and is an absolute nightmare. When they go wrong they are normally removed from the car.

Name
    Andy

Fantastic response guys, cheers

The one I want is actually the 500, The 6cyl ones are probably fairly gutless. I seem to remember seeing a Top Gear when they were road testing an old one and one of their comments was that all putting your foot down did was change the engine note!

I was thinking of spending upto 10K, but from what I've seen the higher mileage (125K+) ones are a bit less. I wont be doing that many miles and I'm not really bothered about 'near concourse' condition. As long as it passes MOTs.

I'm thinking of it as a cool car that I don't mind taking to the super market. I don't want it to get like my GT4, whereby I'd spend a load of dosh getting the dents removed only to find that a Sainsburys plastic bag has drifted into the side and made another one.

Let me know if you happen to hear of anything for sale

cgt: That one on PH looks great and a great colour, but too expensive and only a 6cyl. I think the seller is trying to hard with his description (Edit: Just re-read it LOL, what a load of bol lox)
    Last edited by andy456M; 04-01-2010 at 10:24 PM.

Name
    Andrew

I seem to remember seeing a Top Gear when they were road testing an old one and one of their comments was that all putting your foot down did was change the engine note!
    You're thinking of the W113 Clarkson tested.

cgt: That one on PH looks great and a great colour, but too expensive and only a 6cyl. I think the seller is trying to hard with his description (Edit: Just re-read it LOL, what a load of bol lox)
    If that car was worth buying it would be ~16k with that mileage. It isn't so it isn't! You might want to rethink what your expectations might be!

Name
    Andy

Just found this:

http://www.theslshop.com

Anyone know anything about them? It's just up the road (30 miles) so I may pop along and drive a few models.

@stats: I was't thinking of spending anything like 16K, may be worth getting an inspection done when I find something though.

Hud is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Rob

Andy, my old man had a classic 500sec and 190E for a good number of years.

Theres a chap who is the 'godfather' of classic mercs, based on my doorstep in Rushden, Northants. I really would recommend you calling him whether you are buying or indeed just wanting solid advice. He may even have what you want. This is a no bullshieite set up so dont expect a glossy showroom and workshop !!

His name is Albert and his company is HA Lock - 01933 313077. He has workshops and a graveyard of classic mercs laying around, he has a personal collection also, some of which is priceless. I believe he has one of Hitlers old cars !!

Theres some idea of experiences here : http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/merce...s-rushden.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast