Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ten things you need to know about the Ferrari 458 Italia

Name
    Justin Kenyon

Default Ten things you need to know about the Ferrari 458 Italia

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/24022010/36...ari-458-0.html

A new Ferrari is always big news. However, when it is instantly hailed as the best car the company has ever made, it's massive news. The Ferrari 458 Italia is that car. The replacement for the F430 is actually Ferrari's 'entry-level' model, yet it's stuffed full of F1-inspired know-how and has looks to die for.

Here are ten things you need to know about the latest, and possibly greatest, Ferrari:

1: Despite not going on sale until summer 2010, it's already picked up a raft of awards, including Car of the Year from GQ and Top Gear magazines.

2: The name 458 refers to its 4.5-litre engine with 8 cylinders (V8). It boasts 562bhp from a 4.5-litre V8 engine.

3: The 458 will crack 62mph from rest in just 3.6 seconds, 124mph in 10.4 seconds and then a 202mph top speed if you have a long enough road. Yet it's more economical than a BMW X5 M, posting 21.2mpg combined - though 307g/km is hardly eco-friendly.

4: If the standard car isn't exclusive enough, the 'Carrozzeria Scaglietti' programme allows buyers to completely customise their 458, including any interior or exterior colour and all kinds of trim materials. It might be the cheapest new Ferrari, but the sky's still the limit.

5: The Italia doesn't have an indicator stalk. Instead, the turn signals are accessed via buttons on the steering wheel, as are the windscreen washer jets.

6: It has a 'Manettino' on the steering wheel, which means 'little dial' in Italian. It's derived from Formula One technology, allowing the chassis and other drive system settings to be adjusted five ways between road and racetrack modes.

7: The 458 is the first Ferrari ever that won't be offered with a manual gearbox. However, the car's seven-speed, twin-clutch automatic transmission is capable of gear-change speeds impossible with a manual. It will change gear in less than 50 milliseconds. Even Jackie Chan can't move his arms and legs that quick.

8: It is seventh in a line of junior Ferraris stretching back to the Dino 246, a car which had only 195bhp. The fourth in line, the F355, is seen as the model that began the series of beautiful, fast and easy to drive small Ferraris we know today.

9: It's exactly as quick around Ferrari's Fiorano test track as the Enzo - a 1m supercar supposed to be the pinnacle of Ferrari engineering, and which you could only buy if you were chosen to. We bet a lot of Enzo owners are upset right now. Jay Kay has one.

10: Luxury car dealers are already cashing in on the clamour to be one of the first owners, with one dealer offering a left-hand drive car for 220,000 plus VAT at the time of writing (February 2010). That's over 50,000 above the list price.

Mark Nichol

Name
    Lord Adam

One thing I've never ever taken interest in on any car i've owned is MPG. However, the 458 says 21mpg

jtremlett is offline Overpriced piece of old tat - Ferrari 250 GTO Club Member
    Name
    J Tremlett

So I can see that's carefully researched.

...It might be the cheapest new Ferrari...
    No it isn't. The California has a lower basic list price.

...The 458 is the first Ferrari ever that won't be offered with a manual gearbox...
    Funny I can't seem to find any manual Enzos in my database...

...It is seventh in a line of junior Ferraris stretching back to the Dino 246...
    Hmm. So the line begins with the 246 but not the 206. Okay. But if the 458 is seventh what doesn't count? 246-308-328-348-355-360-430-458. That's eight even if you don't count 308 variations (fibreglass, carb'ed, injected, QV etc.) separately.

Jonathan

Name
    Dunsfold Dave

I dont see how at that price its an 'entry level' Ferrari, surely that would be the California.

I think Ferrari should build a smaller lighter (1000kg) mid engined V8 (say dimensions of a 308) at around 100k in price, doesnt have to be as powerful due to the weight etc. (Mainly because I cant justify spending 200k on a car other wise I'd love to have a 458)

Alot of buyers that previosly would have brought a new 430 will not go for the additional cost required by a 458, and may go elsewhere, say Gallardo. How much is the new Maclaren going to be, I'm sure someone on here will know? Just a thought.

The high cost will also mean many will keep hold of their 430's, not a bad thing as used costs will remain high.

DD

Name
    spice

don't you just love Jonathan

Name
    spice

and may go elsewhere, say Gallardo.

Name
    Lord Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Dunsfold Dave View Post
    I dont see how at that price its an 'entry level' Ferrari, surely that would be the California.

I think Ferrari should build a smaller lighter (1000kg) mid engined V8 (say dimensions of a 308) at around 100k in price, doesnt have to be as powerful due to the weight etc. (Mainly because I cant justify spending 200k on a car other wise I'd love to have a 458)

Alot of buyers that previosly would have brought a new 430 will not go for the additional cost required by a 458, and may go elsewhere, say Gallardo. How much is the new Maclaren going to be, I'm sure someone on here will know? Just a thought.

The high cost will also mean many will keep hold of their 430's, not a bad thing as used costs will remain high.

DD

Name
    Cass

562bhp from a V8 You gotta say 'that is impressive'

Name
    360trev

Quote Originally Posted by Boston348 View Post
    562bhp from a V8 You gotta say 'that is impressive'
    Not really. Novitec managed 747 bhp out of the original 4.3 from the F430 and 600bhp out of the 3.6 from the 360 just by strapping on a pair of small efficient superchargers. Even without resorting to supercharging the 4.3 in the F430 was lifted to 600 bhp in race trim and the 360's 3.6 upto 450 bhp. Neither of the original 360 or F430 engines benefitted from direct fuel injection either which will see both engine gain a 15% power hike with nothing else done. On stock Strad mapping that would mean 490hp out of the original 3.6 litres engine.

The latest v8 engines from small companies like h1 are only 3.0-litre V8 but will produce an eye watering 500bhp at a heady 10,000rpm in normally aspirated trim. That kind of power will see an Ariel Atom 500 reach 60mph in under 2.5sec and break 100mph in under 6 seconds. Makes the 458 look like a slow moving chicane.

Personally was very upset when I heard that Ferrari engineers dropped the use of Titanium valves in the 458 engine because they'd 'already met their power quota' about what they wanted to acheive.

I'm of the very strong opinion that power has now been 'cracked' and now the differentiator seems to be about making a car with ridiculous amounts of computer 'help' to allow your nan to drive the car with one hand and one leg...

Name
    jos

Quote Originally Posted by 360trev View Post
    The latest v8 engines from small companies like h1 are only 3.0-litre V8 but will produce an eye watering 500bhp at a heady 10,000rpm in normally aspirated trim.
    Sounds to me just like a later Cosworth DFV F1 engine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast