Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on a Mondial as a daily driver please

Name
    Gavin

Default Your thoughts on a Mondial as a daily driver please

I've been browsing the classifieds looking at something a bit more interesting as a daily driver. I had been thinking of a 968 or 911 but then noticed a nice looking Mondial fairly locally for a very reasonable sum. What are your thoughts on one of these as a daily driver? It would have to live on the drive all year round as the 348 and other toys are in the garage. I work fairly close to home so it would probably do 4-5000 miles a year.

Name
    Jim

My thoughts on a daily mondial
    1. Mondials are excellent value for money.
    2. After driving the Mondial daily would it devalue the sense of occasion, fun of driving the 348 at weekends.
    3. Would be concerned about running 2 relatively high maintenance, possibly delicate Cars. + 1 for German reliability.
    4. My preference has been a barge of a car for the daily drive, that practically drives itself in comfort with no effort. After driving the Mondial it can feel like you've been to the gym especially if you fit wider wheels.
    5.Got to mention it RUST as you plan to leave it outside, these cars are getting old and even though some are galvanized there is a constant battle with the tin worm.

hope my thoughts help

My other not so helpful suggestion would be to trade the 348 in for a Mondial.

Jim

Name
    cgt

I have a Mondial t as my daily driver. I bought it as an alternative to another Porsche (had tons of those).

1. Very easy round town, plenty of power/torque and PAS on the t makes it no trouble. Switchable suspension on the t makes it a sports car when you want, comfy otherwise. Handling is very very good, possibly due to longer wheelbase and I also have Hill Engineering spacers on mine. Feels less edgy than some Ferraris which inspires confidence.

2. Disagree with point 2 in my case, if it's different enough to the other Ferrari then each has it's own character, though it may not work with a 348 as the Mondial is very similar (basically the same car mechanically). My other car is a 308 and I'm on the hunt for a pristine 355 Spider. Each is different enough to fulfil a specific role.

3. Maintenance not an issue if you have a good technician and the car is a good one. These cars are always better when driven regularly.Mine has a sports exhaust and I have dyno figures showing over 300bhp.

4. Mine has no rust.

Only slight downside is the need to allow car to warm for 5-10 mins in the morning.

Go for it. I was really surprised how much fun this car is to drive after it's lowly status in the Ferrari world (I couldn't care less what people think anyway so doesn't bother me).

Name
    Ross lillywhite

Thumbs up

Ran a Mondial T every day, to and from work and general driving about. it actually got better the more i drove it and never gave any problems at all and. mine never had any rust anywhere on the car. washed monthly. mine had done about 30k on it and and a tubi which was an alarm clock for my neighbours on the early shift, but if you can live with the 20 ish mpg then go for it. buy a good car to begin with and i think laying cars up for 6 months often dries seals out, brakes sticks on etc.

Name
    Martin

Default Mondial

20mpg? How do you manage that! I get about 14 round town in my 3.4t....25 on a run though.

Agree that it's easy to drive in traffic and never misbehaves, the engine just chunters away never complaining. Also agree that it's much better when warmed up (a few miles)

Which Mondial did you look at? I looked at pretty much every one that was for sale when I was buying mine in April. Which version is it? I may have viewed it.

RobC is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Rob

[QUOTE=JimMondial;601605]

My other not so helpful suggestion would be to trade the 348 in for a Mondial.

Jim[/QUOTE

Ermm Jim, Whats wrong with the 348 may I ask?
    The 'Brotherhood' is growing!

Iain is offline Overpriced piece of old tat - Ferrari 250 GTO Club Member
    Name
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by 348gav View Post
    I've been browsing the classifieds looking at something a bit more interesting as a daily driver. I had been thinking of a 968 or 911 but then noticed a nice looking Mondial fairly locally for a very reasonable sum. What are your thoughts on one of these as a daily driver? It would have to live on the drive all year round as the 348 and other toys are in the garage. I work fairly close to home so it would probably do 4-5000 miles a year.
    You'd need to find one with an exceptionally good shell and then spend time sealing it up & rustproofing it as best you can.

I think it would be fine mechanically, but saying that there'd be little point in it if you were driving less than say 15-20 miles to work & a lot of short journeys might well take their toll.

Overall the shell would be the main issue I think.

Name
    Malc Holden

I owned a QV, loved the car but I did have a few electrical problems. I personally could not have used mine as daily transport (not down to cost, though that would be significant to me).

However once the problems were solved (I sold it ) yes maybe, though certainly with the QV (83 car) I would not use one in the Winter.

A 968 or 911 would be a better choice IMHO.

Name
    cgt

Quote Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
    I owned a QV, loved the car but I did have a few electrical problems. I personally could not have used mine as daily transport (not down to cost, though that would be significant to me).

However once the problems were solved (I sold it ) yes maybe, though certainly with the QV (83 car) I would not use one in the Winter.

A 968 or 911 would be a better choice IMHO.
    I have run 968's and many 911's as daily drivers. The Mondial is no less usable, but I did specifically want the 't' with switchable dampers and PAS as well as adequate torque. Not sure if an older one would fit the bill.

Name
    stephen

providing you buy a decent one from the start and change oil/wash regularly as we should do with all our cars, then I don't see a problem at all with doing this, the engines are tough and I think that the more a ferrari is driven the better it gets, they need to be driven! if it's around town then expect regular re-fueling, I use my gt4 now at any given chance whatsoever and seems to run better for it and as for warm ups, drive the car right away but just keep it bellow 3000rpm for a while until warm and you will be fine, will do no harm.
    I would say go for it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast