Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Prospective Ferrari Owner seeks advice

Name
    Arron

Quote Originally Posted by jtremlett
    I've never driven a 355, so I can't properly compare them from that point of view, but I think that's missing the point. If your budget will buy you a decent 348 but not a decent 355 then go with the 348 and I don't think you'll be disappointed. If (and from what you say, I don't think it's the case) you really want a 355 and the 348 is a very poor second best in your eyes, then save up until you can get a decent 355.

Jonathan
    This absolutely isn't the case here Jonathan, I like the 348 for several reasons - it looks great, just as good as the 355 in my eyes, the quoted performance is better than just about anything else I have ever driven (except the Murcialago I drove on a track day at Thruxton) and for the money, as you say, I should be able to get myself a really sound car.

Name
    Arron

Quote Originally Posted by sletti
    Thanks for the compliment on the gutar. Are you a player?
    No mate, it just looked really cool !

Thanks for the invite, I'd like to take you up on that offer so maybe you could PM me with some dates/times that are good for you. No MKII I'm afraid, as the seats are off at the trimmers being recovered but if you are interested, have a look here :

http://www.rsownersclub.co.uk/Classiccar/

These are some photos my friend took for me whilst I participated in a photo shoot for Classic Car Magazine last year.

When she's back on the road I'd be more than happy to pop her up, alternativley, there's an RSOC track day organised at Brands for 19/4/06 and I should be at that with the car.

CHeers

Arron.

Name
    jos

Oh and there's sometimes private cars here :

http://www.ferrariownersclub.co.uk/sales/sales.asp

As well as with the various dealers listed on the resources pages

steve f is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Banned user
    Name
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by Arron
    No mate, it just looked really cool !

Thanks for the invite, I'd like to take you up on that offer so maybe you could PM me with some dates/times that are good for you. No MKII I'm afraid, as the seats are off at the trimmers being recovered but if you are interested, have a look here :

http://www.rsownersclub.co.uk/Classiccar/

These are some photos my friend took for me whilst I participated in a photo shoot for Classic Car Magazine last year.

When she's back on the road I'd be more than happy to pop her up, alternativley, there's an RSOC track day organised at Brands for 19/4/06 and I should be at that with the car.

CHeers

Arron.
    Nice pictures but the older ones take a lot of beating for looks here is some piccys of mine from years ago
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Name
    Arron

The old RS Fords never die, my only regret with the Ferrari is that I only have one garage and as such I would have to sell the RS both to finance the 348 in part and to accomodate it - Bummer

I used to own a black Mark 2 RS2000 with the registration AGN 828S, I note you owned a black car reg 828S but I can't make out the first 3 letters in the photo.

Name
    Sy

Better to get a good 348 than a bad 355 and the price difference between a good 348 and a good 355 will be a lot more than 5,000.

Finding a good 348 will be your biggest problem. Not many RHD ones around for sale.

The electrics on the car are rubbish and will always give you minor problems. eg: aircon not working, lights fusing and windows not working. However, mechanically the car is extremely strong and if looked after will easily do 100,000 miles. (As told to me by Mike at QV Engineering).

There's a lot of unfounded criticism of the car, majority of it from people who have never driven or owned one. Disregard the negative comments about the 348 on this forum as it's mostly jokes (at my expense!!!) coming from 355/360/430 owners who feel emasculated by their girly optioned cars.

When the 348 was first launched, everyone was raving about it, including Jeremy Clarkson who now slags it off. At the time he urged everyone to get it. One magazine even did a twin test against a Honda NSX and the 348 won!!!

Lack of power steering not a problem, especially at speed. You feel everything that's happening with the steering. A great drivers car.

GTB/GTS/Spiders are probably the best buys as they have the extra 20bhp and all the upgrades. However, an early model can be just as good as long as it's had the upgrads done and suspension mods taken care of.

Be careful of 348's with dual plate clutches. Later ones had single plate clutches which cost less.

The cars will be between 12 & 17 years old, so they will need work done to them. I had my dampers reconditioned at Bilstein for 60 each two weeks and it's well worth doing. If I keep the car long term, then I'll probably do it every 6 years.

You'll want to stick a tubi exhaust on the car as in standard form it does'nt sound like a sports car. So budget that in as when you hear other tubi'd 348's, you'll want one.

A great car. Looks great on the road, attracts lots of attention and brings a smile to your face.

Name
    Arron

Thanks for that Sy, apart from the exhaust and dampers are there any other essential bits to ask in respect of modifications carried out to earlier cars ?

sletti is offline It's basically an old car with a stripe - The Ferrari Challenge Stradale Club Member
    Name
    Stig

Arron,

Lots of info here. It's a bit scrappy, but a real labour of love.

http://webpages.charter.net/aircover...der.html#Index
    S t i g (as in "a Stig"; not "the Stig")
    Please sponsor me on the Palace to palace bike ride in order to raise money for the Princes Trust.

steve f is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Banned user
    Name
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by Arron
    The old RS Fords never die, my only regret with the Ferrari is that I only have one garage and as such I would have to sell the RS both to finance the 348 in part and to accomodate it - Bummer

I used to own a black Mark 2 RS2000 with the registration AGN 828S, I note you owned a black car reg 828S but I can't make out the first 3 letters in the photo.
    it was YWU 820S

tonyh is offline Bus station dosser Club Member
    Name
    Tony H

sorry to stray off top and welcome Arron but im not having this is SteveF Can anyone enlarge pic?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast