Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daily driver ideas - max 15k

Name
    Paul

Default Daily driver ideas - max 15k

As the title suggests I'm after a new daily driver & I'm looking to spend circa 15k.

I don't do that many miles but do want something that's not going to cripple me when I need to do a 200 mile motorway slog. The one absolute key criteria is I must be able to get my daughters car seat in the back (foward facing maxi cosi one).

Current thoughts are:

M3 Cab
    Alpina B3S Cab
    911 (996 or 993) but not sure about reliability of the 996
    Massa 4200

So any comments or alternative ideas would welcomed!

Name
    Ollie

I would say for 15k an E46 M3 cab or coupe. These are bargains now, and I ran a 2003 SMG coupe for a year and really enjoyed it. Be careful, there are a lot of lemons out there. Its crucial to buy one with the 1200 or it maybe 1400 running in service done in a timely fashion. Make sure you check the car over, and it has a full service history.

Name
    cgt

993 all the way, I've had several and nothing is built like one of those. However, they have crept up recently so may not find a good one in budget.

Name
    Paul

I've had an E46 M3 Coupe before and was really impressed and I agree these are great value, just not sure if I should get another of what I've already owned ... perhaps a cab version would be different enough.

The 993 really appeals but as you say not sure if I could get into a decent one for 15k ... anyone got one they fancy selling me??

Anyone think of any alternatives?

Name
    Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by pdavison View Post
    Alpina B3S Cab
    911 (996 or 993) but not sure about reliability of the 996
    Massa 4200

So any comments or alternative ideas would welcomed!
    mate of mine has literally just collected his alpina b3s cab! Last weekend, I've not been in it, but he is raving about it on faceplant.

Name
    cgt

I've had tons of Porsches, M5's, M3's as everyday cars and the thing that made the 993 stand out was the small size which makes it so much more usable every day.

At the moment I'm running a Mondial t (which is also narrow hence usable in city) but for winter will probably end up with another 911. Of course maintenance will be higher on a Ferrari but the Mondial t does a great job for me, narrow width, lots of power and PAS makes it more manageable in the city. As I'm sure you know from running a 348, the more you drive these things, the better they are.

I've also run a 996 everyday, no complaints but build quality is a notch below the 993 and the rear main oil seal is a recurring issue, especially on early cars.

Other one I would go back to is an E39 M5 if you need proper rear seats. I think 10-12k should buy a very good example these days.

Name
    Neil

Prices for 993 are high at the moment for 15k will be rough car will starship miles

Great cars all the same would like to put a 993C2s back in my garage at some point

Name
    Paul

Be interested to hear the thoughts on the Alpina (I'm not on Facebook though so might need to ask for a cut & paste).

The 993 has always appealed ... perhaps it could be one worth stretching the budget to get into. I've seen a couple at around 17k with under 100k miles. Can you get a child seat in the back ok?

The M5 is another one worth a look, although I think it's a bit on the large size as we've already got an X5 for the lugging stuff around role.

Name
    cgt

Quote Originally Posted by pdavison View Post
    Be interested to hear the thoughts on the Alpina (I'm not on Facebook though so might need to ask for a cut & paste).

The 993 has always appealed ... perhaps it could be one worth stretching the budget to get into. I've seen a couple at around 17k with under 100k miles. Can you get a child seat in the back ok?

The M5 is another one worth a look, although I think it's a bit on the large size as we've already got an X5 for the lugging stuff around role.
    I wouldn't necessarily let miles put me off a 993, I have had a couple which were over 100k and I know of one that is up to 250k and still going strong, pulled like a train last time I saw it.. Just get the car properly checked out and make sure the major jobs have been done. On a car of this age I would actually be very dubious of an odometer showing 60k-70k, these cars are very easy to clock and we know how easy they are to use and rack up miles, so on a 15 year old car, averaging 10k miles a year, 150k is completely normal.

Name
    Neil

Yes you can put a child seat in the back of 993

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast