Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the Law for Motorbikes on Motorways?

Name
    Robert W

Default What's the Law for Motorbikes on Motorways?

If I'm driving along in the outside lane on the M40 in rush hour traffic (i.e. plenty of cars in all three lanes), is it legal for a motorbike to weave in between the cars in the different lanes?

If I was on a motorbike, I'd probably do this, but surely under all circumstances it is against the law?

Do the police care about it?

Just curious (as motorbikes just really piss me off on the motorways)

Ah, that's better.

And relax..

GrahamS is offline Crop rotation in the 14th century was CONSIDERABLY more widespread after John... Admin dude
    Name
    GrandmasterG

It's against the law.

As I biker I never used to do it, not just because it was illegal but mainly because it's a sodding dangerous thing to do

steve f is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Banned user
    Name
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by Robert W View Post
    If I'm driving along in the outside lane on the M40 in rush hour traffic (i.e. plenty of cars in all three lanes), is it legal for a motorbike to weave in between the cars in the different lanes?

If I was on a motorbike, I'd probably do this, but surely under all circumstances it is against the law?

Do the police care about it?

Just curious (as motorbikes just really piss me off on the motorways)

Ah, that's better.

And relax..
    so you dont like motorbikes doing this but if you had one you would do it

Name
    Darren Sullivan

Illegal to 'make you own lane'
    Illegal to undertake in moving traffic.

If the weather ok, visibility good and traffic was less than 60 mph in the outside lane.... I'd do it all the time - headlight main beam on and eyes out on stalks!

That is the beauty of bikes....You don't do queues
    (Dont often do pensions either mind you)

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

No - of course it's not legal.

But on a practical level, if I'm in a queue doing 30-40 I will always make room for a motorbike and will more than often get thanks for doing so, and that seems reasonable. You do at least have time to see them coming if you are paying attention. But if it happens in a 60-70 mph queue it is really unnerving especially if you don't see the bike coming and they can turn up on either side. That is just stupid.

Name
    dasadrew

Quote Originally Posted by darrens View Post
    Illegal to 'make you own lane'
    Illegal to undertake in moving traffic.
    Err.. pretty sure that if you're in a queue situation you can "undertake" in the sense that the left lane can move faster than the right lane. Probably you are allowed also to choose which lane you are in.

Law certainly won't regulate how often you can choose to be in a different lane.

Don't interpret this as me condoning the practice, but Darwin helps out sometimes too.

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

Highway Code clasue 268 States:

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

Name
    Andy

I do it all the time, no point being on a bike and sitting in a queue. but only slow moving traffic, im pretty sure undertaking in slow moving traffic is allowed, the inside lane is not going to wait for the outside lane to get in front and then catch up. I know it gets up car drivers noses, im sure most of that is down to an "i wish i was on a bike" moment

steve f is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Banned user
    Name
    steve

i use the hard shoulder to undertake when the motorway is stood

Name
    Francis Newman

Quote Originally Posted by francisn View Post
    Highway Code clasue 268 States:

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.
    I would suggest that means that "undertaking" in an inner lane, or on the left hand side, at a faster speed than the average of that lane, is illegal.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast