Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Guildford and surrounding area

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Croydon
    Name
    Ewan
    Posts
    1,770

    Default Guildford and surrounding area

    Thinking of moving to somewhere near Guildford. Dont want an urban residence, preferring something a bit more villagey, and where houses come with space to breathe. Any recommendations or pros/cons regarding the surrounding villages (such as Clandon, Merrow, Burpham, Onslow, Arlington etc).

    As for the rail into London, the Woking line looks good/quick, but means I'd have to get into the Guildford station. What is this like for commuters; i.e. is getting to the station a real gridlock in mornings, is there even sufficient car parks?

    I know its a bit of a wide question, but any initial heads-ups which might enable me to do a more focussed reconnaisance would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Name
    Gavin
    Posts
    2,061

    Default

    Windlesham is very nice, just the other side of the M3.
    I saw a place there going for a cool £89mil. lol

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Surrey
    Name
    Stuart
    Posts
    1,842

    Default

    Guildford is a car park in the morning; youíll take an age getting to the station if you donít want to live there. When moving to the surrey hills a few years ago I did a lot of research, I doubt much has changed.

    If you want things a bit less big town, look along the Weybridge, Walton on Thames, Hersham, Esher path of the line, so youíre 30mins or less on the train into waterloo. Youíll want to be on the fast drop stations. The other side of the A3 is Cobham and Oxshot, which has some lovely houses and great sounding cars but isnít as great for the trains.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Croydon
    Name
    Ewan
    Posts
    1,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RevHappy View Post
    Guildford is a car park in the morning; youíll take an age getting to the station if you donít want to live there. When moving to the surrey hills a few years ago I did a lot of research, I doubt much has changed.

    If you want things a bit less big town, look along the Weybridge, Walton on Thames, Hersham, Esher path of the line, so youíre 30mins or less on the train into waterloo. Youíll want to be on the fast drop stations. The other side of the A3 is Cobham and Oxshot, which has some lovely houses and great sounding cars but isnít as great for the trains.
    Somewhere along the Guildford-Effingham-Oxshot-London line looks a good bet. Oxshot is still on the radar, but I just want the psychological benefit of living outside of the M25.

  5. #5
    markst's Avatar
    markst is offline You thought the Enzo was ugly? - The Ferrari FXX Club Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West Sussex
    Name
    Mark
    Posts
    5,071

    Default

    having lived in this area all my life i can say this............much depends on your budget !

    getting into guildford from the A31 and parking at the station is not too much of a problem, just depends on what time..

    i would not live in merrow, clandon, shalford, bramley, etc as the traffic is terrible in the morning....wrong side of guildford

    however...and if you are commuting i would say godalming and milford is great ..

    if i was moving to this area, i would concentrate on , compton, puttenham, elstead, farnham (esp between guildford and farnham)...

    i live 5 mins from guildford, farnham, the m3, the A3 ...and guildford station is no probs...where do i live.....just off the A31....perfect......and the train is 35 mins to waterloo

    although we are moving next year to one of the villages above !

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Surrey
    Name
    Stuart
    Posts
    1,842

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kryten22uk View Post
    Somewhere along the Guildford-Effingham-Oxshot-London line looks a good bet. Oxshot is still on the radar, but I just want the psychological benefit of living outside of the M25.
    I went with half way between Weybridge and Walton stations (not StGH before anyone asks), being inside the M25 has a few up sides on the traffic, airport and train side of things. Stations aren't always near where you want to live or not anywhere near the place name. I'm always surprised by internal traffic congestion, schools are a shocker.

  7. #7
    markst's Avatar
    markst is offline You thought the Enzo was ugly? - The Ferrari FXX Club Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West Sussex
    Name
    Mark
    Posts
    5,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kryten22uk View Post
    Somewhere along the Guildford-Effingham-Oxshot-London line looks a good bet. Oxshot is still on the radar, but I just want the psychological benefit of living outside of the M25.
    that's a SHOCKING train route !!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Croydon
    Name
    Ewan
    Posts
    1,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markst View Post
    getting into guildford from the A31 and parking at the station is not too much of a problem, just depends on what time..

    i would not live in merrow, clandon, shalford, bramley, etc as the traffic is terrible in the morning....wrong side of guildford

    however...and if you are commuting i would say godalming and milford is great ..

    if i was moving to this area, i would concentrate on , compton, puttenham, elstead, farnham (esp between guildford and farnham)...
    Thanks for this valuable inside info. So if traffic is bad on the other side of Guildford, how come the A31 is fine? Or are you talking 6am!

    As for the "wrong side", my thoughts for that were because my sister in law is also moving and she will be commuting to Epsom. So that side of Guildford looked better. If we looked at that area, is the traffic in the Guildford direction the only bad thing, or is it generally not a nice area anyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by markst View Post
    that's a SHOCKING train route !!!
    I havent been on it, but it looked quicker than the Epsom line. I know its slower than from Guildford via Woking, but if looking to live in that area then overall door to door time would surely be better than getting into Guildford for the quick train.

    That said, I'll certainly give the Puttenham/Compton area a look.

  9. #9
    550v12 is offline Hairdresser's Mercedes SLK Club Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Surrey
    Name
    Mark
    Posts
    208

    Default

    There's West Byfleet or slightly more villagey Pyrford. Between Woking and Guildford there's Worplesdon. Easy drive into Guildford and Worplesdon station for London commute.

    There's some nice houses within walking distance of Worplesdon station as well.

  10. #10
    markst's Avatar
    markst is offline You thought the Enzo was ugly? - The Ferrari FXX Club Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West Sussex
    Name
    Mark
    Posts
    5,071

    Default

    lol......having lived in weybridge, guildford, godalming and finally farnham....i can safely say what annoys me most is traffic !!!!,,....

    around guildford are some wonderful little villages to live, esp between the m25 and say milford...

    send, pyrford, oxshott, all of which are north of guildford, and alas prices in this area are not cheap !!

    personally, i have never been a fan of places that were 1: hard to get onto the A3 for the drive to london, 2: tricky to get into guildford and 3: difficult for trains....

    As for the A31....yup it does get VERY busy in the rush hour, but they are all going to london and joining the A3, the train station is my side of guildford and so is the car park....plus i know all the short cuts if traffic is bad...

    get the map out have have a good drive around......loads of nice pubs for a sunday lunch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •