Thread: Late 308 GTS QV and early non ABS 328 GTS build quality differences?

Name
    Michael

Default Late 308 GTS QV and early non ABS 328 GTS build quality differences?

Was there an improvement is bodywork, engine and general build quality between a late 308 QV and an early non ABS 328? I would like to buy one of the last 308's. Love the shape, the interior and the switchgear. This oldie will be a keeper. Before taking the plunge I wanted experienced views from others.

Thanks.

Iain is offline Overpriced piece of old tat - Ferrari 250 GTO Club Member
    Name
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_360_Modena View Post
    Was there an improvement is bodywork, engine and general build quality between a late 308 QV and an early non ABS 328? I would like to buy one of the last 308's. Love the shape, the interior and the switchgear. This oldie will be a keeper. Before taking the plunge I wanted experienced views from others.

Thanks.
    Not a huge amount is the answer in those things you have mentioned.

The electrics in 328s are much better (308s window mechanisms & locks are really crap!). The QV's cooling system can also be a bit marginal - but I recently followed my friends QV round some twisties in the Alps on a stinking hot day & he had no problems.

328s brakes are undoubtedly better too.

The engine/driveline is very similar with many shared components & little in the way of known weaknesses.

Name
    cgt

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Not a huge amount is the answer in those things you have mentioned.

The electrics in 328s are much better (308s window mechanisms & locks are really crap!). The QV's cooling system can also be a bit marginal - but I recently followed my friends QV round some twisties in the Alps on a stinking hot day & he had no problems.

328s brakes are undoubtedly better too.

The engine/driveline is very similar with many shared components & little in the way of known weaknesses.
    Pretty much what Iain said. 328 is better made but the 308 has classic retro switchgear, I'm not a great fan of the 80s plastic that was starting to creep in by the 328 era. Both are surprisingly robust but the 328 is definitely more comfortable for a longer journey as the seats are much more comfortable (more padding).

Name
    Michael

Thanks for your input. I shall go and start my search for a QV. My local garage QV in Ascot swear by the 328 for good reason - particularly the engine. I just like the switchgear and the purity of the 308 shape. But would have gone 328 if the QV had been a 'bad' car.