Thread: California Vs 458 as an Every Day Car?

Name
    Learnmore

Default California Vs 458 as an Every Day Car?

Hi Guys,

I am in the process of trying to spec a California order that I have placed for May delivery (updated version), and you guys have been really helpful in guiding me with options. However in the back of my head I am thinking Should I get a 458 instead.. here are thoughts that keep going around in my head..:

Background: I have had a Bentley GT as my only car for 6 years and wanted something different with responsiveness and fun to drive.

1) To be honest I much prefer the looks of the 458 to the California.

2) However I plan to have only one car, so it needs to be to reliable enough to drive every day to work and back (25 mins drive each way) and for going out in evenings and driving around town in weekends. (I don't really do many long stretch journeys). Is a 458 really an every day driving car and reliable enough to not break down.. as being an only car I don't want to be stranded.

3) Price difference is not too much between the 458 and California, £175k for a well specced California and about £205k for well specced 458. so about £25k-£30k price difference.

4) I have always wanted a convertible and like the California hard top convertible feature, I could go for the 458 spider but earliest delivery I could get would be Dec 2012 (and thats to long to wait)

5) Am I better of buying a pre-owned California, saving £50k then maybe 2 years from now buying a spider? or just go for it with the new California.

6) 458 is a newer model, fewer on the road and turns more heads (I guess that's some part of the reason of buying a Ferrari).

I know a lot of options.. but its a big decision and usually like to stick with my car for about 4 years..
    Let me know if you guys have any thoughts??
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name
    cgt

Modern Ferraris are designed to be driven every day.

A friend of mine uses his 458 every day in London and it is his only car. Buy a Cali (or otherwise go for the 458 Coupe) and try to get some kind of agreement in principle on what it will be worth when the 458 Spider arrives.

isuk is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Iain

If you are new to Ferrari and have been told they will get you a car by Dec '12 I'd be very suspicious. There is a very lengthy waiting list for the spider and UK allocation is expected to be fairly low. I've already helped out a London based buyer on Fchat who was promised a 458 coupe build slot by a dealer who then backtracked considerably on the delivery date after they had got his deposit. Caveat emptor!

Both used Cali's and 458's are retaining their value pretty well and I don't see that changing in the next 12 months due to restricted supply. It may be worth going down the used route to see how you enjoy either car then putting in an order for a new one to your spec.

Name
    Learnmore

Quote Originally Posted by isuk View Post
    If you are new to Ferrari and have been told they will get you a car by Dec '12 I'd be very suspicious. There is a very lengthy waiting list for the spider and UK allocation is expected to be fairly low. I've already helped out a London based buyer on Fchat who was promised a 458 coupe build slot by a dealer who then backtracked considerably on the delivery date after they had got his deposit. Caveat emptor!

Both used Cali's and 458's are retaining their value pretty well and I don't see that changing in the next 12 months due to restricted supply. It may be worth going down the used route to see how you enjoy either car then putting in an order for a new one to your spec.
    Hi Iain, it's my friends order that is in for the Dec 12 delivery on spider which he doesn't want. Otherwise your right it will take longer than that as a new buyer.

I am planning to borrow my friends 458 this weekend, so will really see what type of drive it is.. also in 3 weeks getting a California for a weekend so guess will have a better idea to compare both. Otherwise a 20 min test drive doesn't really give a proper feeling..

isuk is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Iain

In that case I'd bite his hand off for the 458 spider slot. You'll run that car for 6 -12 months and still sell above list if you don't do silly miles with it.

Name
    Douglas

I like my California because I can use it to take the kids out at the weekend

If you dont have an issue like this then I wouldn't get one

If the new California is going to cost you £175 next May then I would suggest you buy a 1 year old 458 which by then will be around the same price
    If you really want a convertible then buy a 16M

Name
    Learnmore

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    I like my California because I can use it to take the kids out at the weekend

If you dont have an issue like this then I wouldn't get one

If the new California is going to cost you £175 next May then I would suggest you buy a 1 year old 458 which by then will be around the same price
    If you really want a convertible then buy a 16M
    Thanks will see how it goes with having the 458 this weekend.. and two weeks after that will have the California. I have no kids, was just concerned about reliability of the 458 and having as an everyday car.

Name
    Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by ultracar View Post
    Thanks will see how it goes with having the 458 this weekend.. and two weeks after that will have the California. I have no kids, was just concerned about reliability of the 458 and having as an everyday car.
    No kids = 458 every time, and with that build slot take the spider.

At least it won’t free fall like the CGT you've have currently, even a s/h 599 could be a fun transition into pocket rocket V8's while you wait.

Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ultracar View Post
    I think you will find both cars are easy to live with, certainly compared to previous F cars, the gearbox being a major factor. The 458 is more overtly sporting mind, is not so easy for female passengers/drivers to get in and out of with anything but jeans and more so with the sports seats. The Cali is more GT and probably the easier car to use day to day. I have never compared boot space, but I cannot use my 458 for airport trips, but my 599 yes. The 458 is one of the prettiest cars on the road that is for sure, it gets a lot of comment from men in particular, whereas I think a Cali would be more acceptable to more people. It depends how hard core you want to go, after a Bentley a 458 is a step in a very sporty direction. I drove the FF last week, and that for me was more 'Bentley like' than any F car I have driven before.It may sound daft, but after the Bentley, boot space might just be a practical issue, I know it sounds boring, but it depends on how you use it. Personally I could not use a 458 everyday, but a 599 yes. I have only had a brief run in a Cali so could not speak of the practical nature of the car. The new 2012 Cali mods though sound very interesting, and will put to right some of the areas that stopped me buying one. In the end you have to try both. Reliability should not differ between either car.

Name
    Edmondo

I agree with comments in here totally. If you can get a 458 spider Dec2012 go get it especially as you don't have kids.

I love the California but to be honest if it wasn't for my kids I would have a 458 for sure.

Enjoy the "test drives" in both cars.