Page 242 of 246 FirstFirst ... 142192232240241242243244 ... LastLast
Results 2,411 to 2,420 of 2460

Thread: 348 DIY "Restoration"

irarref is online now Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Jeff

I really don't think there is a "right" or "wrong" answer (although my car will most probably go bang today! LOL)

Everyone owns these cars for a variety of reasons and at the end of the day it's their car, their money so as long as your comfortable doing what your doing I wouldn't let some random off the internet dictate to you what to do with your own car.

Personally, I like to do everything myself but at the moment I don't feel like taking on a big job - last thing I want is to be stuck with the car in bits and not be in a fit state to put it back together. Ideally I'd like to find an amenable garage whom I could !apprentice could "apprentice" for and just get help with any heavy lifting etc but not sure whether anyone would be interested in that. Ill have to see.

Adrian - Ill pm you my mobile no.

One of the things that does put me off getting the major belts service is the horror stories of people taking in perfectly working cars and then breaking down on the way home - you just can't win sometimes! :-(

A348W is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Resale and servicing records is interesting. For the 348s, would a full stamped service history really make any difference to the price, or just make them slightly easier to sell?

I did nearly fall off my chair when DL quoted me 1000 for an annul (oil and filter and brake fluid), I use to work in a oil change shop in Canada as a kid, 20 minutes to change oil/filter and air filter. Think it was 30-40 minutes to do oil/trans/diff, or it was free! I declined DL's kind offer to ream me! It will be going elsewhere as I have a couple of other jobs I want done that I cant do myself, but I'm certainly not paying anywhere near that rate!

Going fwd, if I keep it long term, I will follow Pete's model as I've also decided to buy a lift this winter; I'm just getting too old to be clambering around on a cold concrete floor with an inch from my nose to underside of car!

Name
    Jeff

eek - doing an entire brake/clutch fluid change cost me about 10 last time I did it and oil change was about 25 for filter and about 90 for oil!

I'm in wrong job!!!

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Cheers Jeff, I agree - your car your choice

I think there's something to be said for service record to make resale easier but I don't think cars of the age of a 348 and older are going to have a year on year, fully stamped etc service record. I've gone for my own schedule which has worked over the past 10 years (rapidly looking for some wood to touch.......), my last traffic light report flagged up the fact my fog light relay bulb in the car was a little dim, oh and there was some paint chipped off the oil tank (think they were grasping with that one a bit)......... and that was it. Actually getting the bi-annual services done at the main dealer which gives you the traffic light report is good as it gives you a handy 'to do' list afterwards. They don't charge me 1000 mind you. And as I said, I'm a bit of a novice when compared to some of you guys so for me at least I think it's worth having it going there every other year. The miles I do though every year would just be a little pointless.

All of the above said I think this thread is far more of a service record for Jeff than I have from dealers for my car. There's a lot to be said for doing it yourself and recording it all. Aside from the enjoyment you'll spend massively more time than any garage could and 348s aren't exactly technical machines.

A348W is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    but I don't think cars of the age of a 348 and older are going to have a year on year, fully stamped etc service record.
    Mine does

But as we know that means sweet "fa" against the true condition of the car (see the several inch thick folder of receipts I have in parts etc. since my ownership! ).

Anyway, enough high jacking Jeff's thread and back to work!

Name
    Jeff

it's ok LOL

Case in point is the alternator bracket that I've just replaced.

Cant say who broke it but it was like that when I got the car. Obviously you can get away with living with a broken one but the money I save with the DIY allows me to buy "luxuries" such as this which took a heap of searching on the internet (its NLA) and paying over the odds for the one I got. Realistically a garage would just bolt up the broken one and get on with job.

I also took the alternator to a refurb place and got them to check it (it passed) and fitted a new air con and alternator belts, new battery, new ill fitting bracket (which I modified) and took care of some light rust. If I was paying to have this done it would cost fortune, would always be wondering whether a good job was done and would most probably still be waiting for my car back LOL

Anyway, thats reminded me Ive still not posted up pics of the actual air con and alternator belts being changed so Ill do that tonight.

Name
    Bryan Baker

I am excited to see the final outcome of this restoration build. You will be able to give life to this car soon.

Name
    Jeff

Quick bit of help if someone can post up a photo...

Jus in the middle of converting my doors to full cream and when I was putting the door window/mirror control back I'm sure its not right. Seem to think that I have seen the switches showing the windows pointing together and since one of them doesn't light up properly I might as well buy a new switch (IIRC about 30 from superperformance but let me know if you know where you can get a genuine looking one cheaper!)

Here's mine which I think is wrong - even wonder whether its upside down and the mirror control should be forwards??? Dunno...

Name:  IMG_3416.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  38.1 KB

Here's the door which I'm pretty pleased with although it will horrify purists! LOL Ive also replaced the carpet on the bottom and just in middle of pulling all the carpet out of the whole car and re-dying everything so it all looks nice and new again.

Name:  IMG_3417.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  79.3 KB

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Give me 5 minutes.........

Name
    Pete

Name:  EED8E9F2-6F80-4DDD-BAD4-43130E18FC0F.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  40.5 KB

Edit: Mine could well be wrong. They have been out of the car for my retrim a few years back and the guy could have put one from the other side back in this side.
    Last edited by Nosevi; 15-05-2021 at 05:48 PM.