Page 246 of 251 FirstFirst ... 146196236244245246247248 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,460 of 2508

Thread: 348 DIY "Restoration"

irarref is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Jeff

Since I'm doing the carpet too I invested in some decent carpet/fabric cutting scissors

Name:  IMG_3577.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  68.3 KB

Couple of meters of "heavy duty faux leather" from ebay for £14 delivered :-) Just used teh old backing as a rough pattern

Name:  IMG_3578.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  74.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3579.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  38.0 KB

Initially I just applied contact adhesive to about a 2" strip at bottom of panel with the idea of securing the piece to it and then letting it set then stretching it over it. BTW my wife very kindly steam ironed (very gently and from the back to take all the creases out the leatherette)

Name:  IMG_3581.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  75.8 KB

So with the material rolled up I layed the end over the glued area and using a painting roller I rolled it flat so there was no bubbles/kinks etc

Name:  IMG_3582.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  46.9 KB

I didn't have to wait for it to dry as it was stuck firm so applied glue to rest of panel

Name:  IMG_3583.jpg
Size:  49.5 KB

Couldn't really take a photo but holding the rolled up material off teh surface with one hand I used the other hand to gently roller the material down ad bit like applying wallpaper

Name:  IMG_3584.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  42.0 KB

Once fully on I just turned panel over and using old piece as reference trimmed the newly applied material ready for gluing to back

Name:  IMG_3585.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  72.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3586.jpg
Size:  68.3 KB

Was just a case of applying glue to the back then and pulling the material over and pressing firmly down

Name:  IMG_3587.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  50.3 KB

There's an indentation where the backing screws go through so just feel around for them

Name:  IMG_3590.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  30.5 KB

If you press it in a bit it will leave a dint where it is

Name:  IMG_3591.jpg
Size:  28.4 KB

Then I just used a small sharp screwdriver to punch a hole through ready for screw

Name:  IMG_3588.jpg
Size:  33.9 KB

Using the old piece as a guide as to where the seat belt holder bolt goes through I marked it with pen

Name:  IMG_3592.jpg
Size:  35.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3593.jpg
Size:  42.3 KB

Made an initial cut through with a craft knife

Name:  IMG_3594.jpg
Size:  40.3 KB

Then the scissors to snip out a hole

Name:  IMG_3595.jpg
Size:  40.1 KB

One freshly covered seat back ready for fitting. NB I couldn't get the exact colour I wanted as I was primarily interested in the "grain" matching so I've actually redyed it too so it's an exact match to rest of seat - bit annoying I know but it is what it is!

BTW I bought the material off ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320775145562

Here's the old damaged material on left and the newly recovered/dyed panel on right

Name:  IMG_3596.jpg
Size:  43.4 KB

Name
    Jeff

Up early this morning an repeated the process for the passenger side seat

Name:  IMG_3600.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  115.4 KB

Also fitted the driver's side seat back on although I only have 4 of the 6 screws needed so adding that to my order for next week when I've finished putting everything back together

Name:  IMG_3602.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  67.9 KB

Passenger seat back finished and holes put in

Name:  IMG_3611.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  58.6 KB

Been working on converting the passenger door to cream this evening. Done 2 of teh panels and 1/2 way through the switch panel before I decided to call it a day. Hopefully get up early tomorrow and finish it off.

Name:  IMG_3612.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  65.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name
    Jeff

Desperately trying to get the car back together in time for weekend! eek!!

Just putting the nice new shiny seat belts back

Name:  IMG_3653.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  51.3 KB

When I noticed they've sewn the badges on upside down :-( Its going to have to do for moment but I don't think its worth the aggro of posting back etc so going tp hopefully persuade the Mrs to do it for me. What a pain :-(

Name:  IMG_3654.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  75.3 KB

A348W is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Thatís annoying; still just tell people itís an Australian car

I also think you should bring it part finished; just to mix it up a bit!!

Name
    Lifeboatboy

Jeff, have you ever worried you might set standards to which other people find it...challenging, to meet? The labels...upside down...? I struggle to leave the room if I accidentally leave a kitchen cupboard door slightly ajar, but now you've compelled me to go out to garage in the pouring rain, to see whether or not my factory fitted seatbelt labels are the right way up!

The worst thing is...what if they're NOT?!?

Name
    Jeff

LOL

Had a complete nightmare day yesterday - the problems wiith the belts got worse - theyve replaced the buckle end with a new one that is different so I cant put the covering piece back. I think I'm going to have to send them back to get redone :-(

Anyway, the cr has almost been thrown back together and then myself and my daughter set off yesterday lunchtime only for the car to totally misbehave and run like a slug. Had to turn round and return home and get busy!!!

Fitted new crank sensors just to rule that out - what a pain doing the top one (if you've done the job you'll know what I mean!).

That made a tiny but of difference but didnt address the problem Cue pitting all sorts of combinations of MAF sensors (Ive bought 2 extra ones) and was almost at the oint of giving up and abandoning the weekend when i thought I would try one last time.....and then the car sparked into life as it should! Was elated. Anyway, I'm here - just staying in a premierinn about 10 mins away so ready to get there for hopefully 9.30 :-)

I'm afraid car looks an absolute tip so go easy on me! LOL

Yesterday morning...things were very much behind schedule!!!

Name:  IMG_3663.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  72.7 KB

Name
    Jeff

Well I made it! (apologies for pic - forgot to take a pic without anyone in it!)

After the false start the car behaved itself impeccably - the only problem being that after driving the 3-1/2 hour journey each way with the rof off I got terrible sunburn on my head!! :-(

Name:  IMG_3667.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  72.9 KB

Now the seatbelts....mmm - I think they are going to have to go back TBH as they replaced the original anchor points with ones of a different shape/size and although they bolt ok to the seat I cant put the trim piece back - very frustrating! :-(

This is the original fixing they decided to replace - to be fair it looks a bit scabby

Name:  IMG_3655.jpg
Size:  43.3 KB

Bt it does fit fine behind the trim piece

Name:  IMG_3656.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  36.5 KB

And compared with the replacement fixing you can see its quite a bit wider and generally different in shape

Name:  IMG_3657.jpg
Size:  65.5 KB

With the trim piece in place the fitting cant get far enough down so the holes for the bolt line up

Name:  IMG_3658.jpg
Size:  48.1 KB

I tried taking the trim piece off and bolt the belt up and re-installing the trim piece afterwards but it just bulges out so I've left it off completely until I get it sorted - all very annoying!

Name:  IMG_3659.jpg
Size:  55.5 KB

Before I send them back to get redone I'm going to get them powder coated.

Before...

Name:  IMG_3804.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  66.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3805.jpg
Size:  65.0 KB

And back from the powder coaters - much better :-)

Name:  IMG_3826.jpg
Size:  54.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3827.jpg
Size:  55.7 KB

Name
    Lifeboatboy

So much fun watching your progress, Jeff. Slightly concerned that I'm so hooked, I'm starting to swear at my own screen, in sympathy with your frustrations! That belt buckle being too wide is likely to plague my entire day now - so thanks for that

Name
    Jeff

LOL it is very frustrating - I'm just worried that by the time Ive sorted it all out properly I would of spent as much as just buying brand new belts! :-(

Name
    Lifeboatboy

Quote Originally Posted by irarref View Post
    LOL it is very frustrating - I'm just worried that by the time Ive sorted it all out properly I would of spent as much as just buying brand new belts! :-(
    Where's the fun in that??? At least this way, you know you've had half the people on this forum going out to discretely verify that their seat belt labels are the right way up