Page 257 of 266 FirstFirst ... 157207247255256257258259 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,570 of 2655

Thread: 348 DIY "Restoration"

irarref is online now Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Jeff

Well the bush/bearing tool arrived this evening...and its BIG!!!! In fact too big :-(

Name:  IMG_5330.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  82.3 KB

I thought Id crack on anyway and knock out 2 tabs out of the top hat lip but they proved pretty difficult to chisel out.

Name:  IMG_5322.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  62.5 KB

Name:  IMG_5324.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  35.8 KB

Anyway, after messing about with the bush tool I finally remembered how I did it last time so thought I'd just try the old method so I could at least put the collar out enough to saw the lip off the top hat. Using the already removed collar as a guide I checked that the 38mm impact socket would fit completely over ot and that my 21mm socket would fit through the eye of the arm. In effect you want to clamp them in a vice and the 21mm socket will push the collar inside teh 38mm socket.

Name:  IMG_5326.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  74.5 KB

I had to actually use a dead hammer to bash the vice handle round and then all of a sudden the tone changed - thought Id broke teh vice at first but it was actually the bush collar starting to move.

Name:  IMG_5327.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  59.8 KB

You can see the 21mm socket disappearing inside the arm.

Name:  IMG_5328.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  53.3 KB

Its not completely out as it was getting a bit late and was very conscious of making a noise for my neighbors so will finish it off in morning, anyway at least its out.

Name:  IMG_5329.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  79.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5331.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  79.0 KB

First job in morning....tidy up!!!

Name:  IMG_5332.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  94.4 KB

I've not given up on the bush tool but I think I need to buy a smaller adapter. Should of checked first so silly me :-(

I've not removed the lower arm from car yet - tomorrows job but I'm going to see if I can remove that without making any cuts at all in the collar which would be great.

Name
    Jeff

There's only so far that the bush will go inside the socket so I swapped over to one of the proper bush tools and finished pushing the socket/bush into that.

Name:  IMG_5335.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  83.4 KB

Finally!!! :-) still not had chance to remove the lower arm - think that will have to be a job for the weekend....cant wait! :-(

Name:  IMG_5337.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  95.2 KB

Garvin is offline Salesman's average 3 Series BMW Club Member
    Name
    Garvin

I really enjoy these threads and admire the ingenuity displayed to 'get things done' but this latest 'battle' with the bushes takes me back many years when I, too, struggled with such things. However, as time passed and I got older, wiser, weaker and more affluent I decided that the struggle was no longer worth it and for less than the price of a couple of hours Indy labour I bought one of these:

Name:  Press.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  137.1 KB

I say bought, I just put it on my Christmas/Birthday list along with a bunch of other tools and over the years they have progressively turned up to kit out my garage.

For removal of the odd bush whilst still on the car a few quid on some gash studding, nuts and washers and set of sockets specifically for pressing were also procured.

Removing and replacing bushes, bearings and the like is now no longer a mahusive sweaty wrestling match and, as a bonus, the skin remains attached to my knuckles! You'd also be amazed what else around the house can be 'persuaded' to readily comply with such a weapon.
    I like red & cream!

Name
    Jeff

I'm very jealous! LOL

My main problem with these bushes has not so much been the ability to apply enough force as to finding a way to hold the item whilst the force is being applied. There's no extra area to put the press cups round - very annoying.

Name
    Adrian

Garvin does have a good point and when I did mine I looked into one of those presses. Issue I found was size and ability to get the 348 arms in the way required to press the bushes out/in. As you know they only go one way; and whilst you can cut the flange off to give yourself more flexability, you're still playing with the hacksaw!

With hindsight I should have spent more time seeing if I could get one to work/fit as it would most certainly have saved me a lot of grief! (Actually who am I kidding. If I ever do it again, they will be going straight down to my local Ferrari dealer and let them do it!)

Name
    Jeff

My calendar has just popped up a reminder....bought the car 10 years ago to the day - happy times!

IRRC below is one of the first pics I had taken after I'd taken ownership about 10 mins before.

Name:  IMAG0052.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  50.6 KB

Name
    Jeff

Removed the lower arm this afternoon....

The lower arm is attached by 2 brackets (that hold the bush also) - one is readily visible from underneath - although covered my more steelwork but the other requires the removal of a large rubber bung for access.

Name:  IMG_5342.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  59.6 KB

I used a 22mm ring spanner and a dead hammer to get it going.

Name:  IMG_5343.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  85.0 KB

Name:  IMG_5344.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  52.9 KB

The rear bracket I used a socket set and breaker bar with a small extension on just to get it going

Name:  IMG_5346.jpg
Size:  71.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5347.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  55.8 KB

Once it was moving I just switched back to a regular wrench

Name:  IMG_5348.jpg
Size:  91.4 KB

I was expecting it to just pull out then but it was stuck fast. Only problem was I couldn't really get a good swing at it to knock it out. However, whilst working underneath on the rubber bung hole I couldnt help but notice what looked like carpet through the hole so assumed you could get at the bracket bolt via the front boot.

Name:  IMG_5350.jpg
Size:  34.4 KB

Out with the main carpet

Name:  IMG_5349.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  71.1 KB

I was going to take the lower carpet out too but the leather straps for the toolbox are riveted on and I didn't really want to take them out as the rivets look like they are brass. Instead I just folded it over as best as I could which allowed me to hit the bolt from the inside which did the trick :-)

Name:  IMG_5351.jpg
Size:  43.5 KB

Curiously I found this under the carpet but no idea what it is as it doesn't seem to have a matching area it could of come from?????!!!!

Name:  IMG_5361.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  79.8 KB

Name
    Jeff

With the arm pulled out you have to be careful not to lose/mix it the spacing shims - in my case some shims stayed on the chassis...

Name:  IMG_5352.jpg
Size:  94.7 KB

And some stuck to the arm

Name:  IMG_5353.jpg
Size:  99.6 KB

To not mix anything up I have labelled bags to put everything in as it comes off

Name:  IMG_5354.jpg
Size:  70.6 KB

The rear bracket came out with all the shims stuck to the arm

Name:  IMG_5355.jpg
Size:  78.3 KB

They were pretty tightly packed together and had to be prized off the arm/apart with a screwdriver

Name:  IMG_5356.jpg
Size:  83.0 KB

Name:  IMG_5357.jpg
Size:  54.0 KB

Name:  IMG_5358.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  90.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5359.jpg
Size:  49.2 KB

Again, everything carefully bagged up.

Name:  IMG_5360.jpg
Size:  79.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name
    Jeff

To remove the bracket from the arm I lay it on the floor, stood on it and then used a breaker bar to loosen the nut - because it was on the floor and I was standing on it it the bolt wouldn't spin round allowing ot to be broken free.

Name:  IMG_5362.jpg
Size:  78.2 KB

The bolt wouldn't come out at first so put some penetrating oil down it, put the nut back on and was just about to hit it with a hammer but noticed it had become loose :-)

Name:  IMG_5363.jpg
Size:  81.8 KB

Bracket was just knocked off with a soft hammer.

Name:  IMG_5364.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  91.5 KB

And into the bag of bits.

Name:  IMG_5366.jpg
Size:  89.6 KB

Notice the manufactures stampings on the bushings

Name:  IMG_5365.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  59.0 KB

The other bolt wasn't as keen to come out so put the bracket in the vice to try and remove it. When it did start moving the other end turned too so put a spanner on that end which once it made contact with the vice so it stopped turning and allowed the nut to loosen.

Name:  IMG_5367.jpg
Size:  93.1 KB

Once loose I swapped over the breaker bar to stop the nut turning and used my ratchet spanner to turn the bolt head until the nut dropped off the end.

Name:  IMG_5369.jpg
Size:  90.8 KB

The bit I'm stuck with now :-( I though that the bolt is just a big long one that can be knocked out but it didn't want to budge and I don't want to damage it if that's not how it comes out.

Name:  IMG_5371.jpg
Size:  98.8 KB

I was a little confused by the fact that the anti rollbar link end takes a 27m spanner to hold it but upon further thinking thats just to hold the bolt still whilst you tighten up the other end.

Name:  IMG_5372.jpg
Size:  67.8 KB

Applied a load more penetrating oil so it can soak overnight - hopefully it can be knocked out tomorrow. That's me done for the day anyway :-)

Name:  IMG_5373.jpg
Size:  79.6 KB

Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by irarref View Post

Curiously I found this under the carpet but no idea what it is as it doesn't seem to have a matching area it could of come from?????!!!!

Name:  IMG_5361.jpg
Size:  79.8 KB
    That comes from the bottom of the boot space. You will find a lovely circular how in the middle. I have no idea why; but you do need to clean it up and glue it back inplace as without it the boot just loves to suck up water when the road is wet.

As an aside, whilst I put all the shims back as found, as you are doing, you will need a full wheel alignment. With new bushes etc. it will probbably be out a fair amount. Just make sure you take it somehwere that has a ready stock of those shims, as they will need to mix and match. (I have a few left over from mine if you need them, noting they come in various thicknesses.)

Keep up the fun work