Page 256 of 266 FirstFirst ... 156206246254255256257258 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,560 of 2652

Thread: 348 DIY "Restoration"

Name
    Adrian

What’s the plan with the shocks?

Ps when I did mine I put new spring pirchs on as the old ones had cracks; so worth checking/replacing

irarref is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Jeff

And now onto the bushes :-(

Used a blow torch to melt the bushes out. Below isn't typical as I usually blow them out if they start burning. Not looking forward to my next pizza!

Name:  IMG_5284.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  133.8 KB

Once the inner steel part is free you can saw off on end to get it out (it wont pull through before you ask)

Name:  IMG_5272.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  58.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5273.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  87.1 KB

Name:  IMG_5274.JPEG
Size:  59.1 KB

You'll be left with the outer collar which in my case was well and truly jammed in. I try and cut the collar twice as close as I dare to the actual arm then try and chisel out the strip which in theory should act as a relief and allow the collar to be pressed out.

Name:  IMG_5286.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  47.3 KB

You can see where I started to chisel it here

Name:  IMG_5292.jpg
Size:  47.1 KB

I then used a socket that fits just inside the arm as a punch and whilst supported by wood hammered it with a lump hammer - good feeling when it starts to move :-)

Name:  IMG_5295.jpg
Size:  41.4 KB

Here's the collar once out

Name:  IMG_5297.jpg
Size:  69.2 KB

I did catch the arm slightly with the saw but nothing serious that would weaken it in any way. Very difficult to judge the exact amout where your cutting the collar but not the arm. Just have to go slowly and keep checking

Name:  IMG_5298.jpg
Size:  36.2 KB

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Jeff You can make your life a lot easier with a bearing press set. I got one like this and it has lots of different sized sleeves that cover every bearing I have ever done (The picture is an example and it has many more sized press dies that are inside the bigger ones) The threaded bars have bearing washers and I can assure you they assert more pressure than you will ever get with a vice. It avoids the hassle and risk of cutting the wishbones when cutting sleeves, or burning out rubber etc. You can also use them for pressing the new sleeves back in, and it keeps everything perpendicular . its not an expensive tool just look on e bay for bearing press tools.
    Name:  bearing tool.jpg
Size:  45.1 KB

Name
    Jeff

Thanks Simon - I've just ordered one the same as the pic from Amazon...arriving Tuesday.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SQTB4...hk_typ_imgToDp

Name
    Simon Dutton

Quote Originally Posted by irarref View Post
    Thanks Simon - I've just ordered one the same as the pic from Amazon...arriving Tuesday.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SQTB4...hk_typ_imgToDp
    Jeff When you use it, lube the reads and bearing washers with heavy oil (I use whatever car oil I have left over) and you will be surprised how much pressure they exert .

Name
    Jeff

Unless I'm mistaken - I'm still going to have to cut the top of the lip off (small section already removed in pic below) as this method relies on having a surrounding area bigger than the sleeve your removing....??? Most of the problems I've been having is the awkwardness of the shape - very difficult to hold it easily to work on it.

Name:  IMG_5302.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  59.5 KB

Name
    Jeff

Just as an aside - if you don't want to spend that much on a set and you dont mind using sockets etc you can jut buy the threaded bar part:

https://www.drapertools.com/prodsear...search=bearing

Name
    Simon Dutton

Jeff its difficult to explain but here goes.
    1 Put a nut and bolt through the inner section - do up very very tight - clamp bolt head in vice then turn wishbone by hand to make sure the inner bush is no longer fixed to the rubber
    2 Hacksaw through inner part outer collar (on the top hat side so you dont risk cutting the wishbone) Dont worry if you end up cutting a bit of the top hat section as its scrap.
    3 Drive out the inner section. If you were unable to turn the inner to break the bond, then you can cut the "non top hat end" off the inner sleeve (Being careful that you dont cut the wishbone). Then drill out some of the rubber in 4 opposite places - you should then be able to drift it/twist it out, or use a very small deep socket with threaded bar and a suitably sized cup from the bearing press kit. (Some 6mm threaded rod will help). if you still cant get the centre bush out them you have the nuclear option of the blowtorch
    4 The top hat section prevents you from using one of the press guides, so I carefully cut through the top hat section in two places 180 degree opposite. I cut out about 8 mm wide section (two cuts that go almost through to the wishbone then chisel out the two 8mm sections to expose two opposite bits of the wishbone.
    5 use the appropriate size guide over the top hat section, with two bits of square metal sat in the 8mm gaps, (between the tool and the wishbone) then press the bush outer sleeve about 4 or 5 mm. You can then safely cut off the top hat section, and use the sleeves in the extractor kit to push the sleeve out.

yes it sound like a lot of phafing about but you will be able to do four in the amount of time it takes to do one using the hack saw slot method. I speed things up with an angle grinder with a 1.5mm thick cutting disc, however if you are clumsy or no good with power tools then dont try using the grinder as its very easy to just cut through everything in one go !!!

Regarding using the bearing washers with sockets - dont bother, it will not help. The full extractor/press set dies have a rebate in the end that the bearing washer fits into, and it means however ham fisted someone might be. the two dies remain perpendicular and its just so easy to use.

Name
    Jeff

Thanks Simon - I'm sort of up to point 3.5 of your instructions.

Ill widen the slot in th top hat tomorrow and add an opposite one then post some more pics

Name
    Simon Dutton

Quote Originally Posted by irarref View Post
    Thanks Simon - I'm sort of up to point 3.5 of your instructions.

Ill widen the slot in th top hat tomorrow and add an opposite one then post some more pics
    One other thing for the "square bits of metal" I use the square bar that goes into a door handle to operate the lock.