Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 348 Cam Profiles

Name
    Dunx

Default 348 Cam Profiles

HI,

As those who have read my other thread will know, I've taken the engine out to check it all and chamge the cam belts. I've measured all the valve clearances and 4 out of 16 exhaust valves are out of spec but I should be able to swap shims because 2 are just over and 2 just under spec.

The inlet was different. Only 5 in spec but the others are consistanly .25 to .26 (spec 0.2-0.25). I next measured all the valve durations only to find I don't have standard cams.

Standard Cam
    Inlet open 14deg BTDC Closed 53 ABDC 247 Deg Duration
    Exhaust open 53 BBDC Closed 10ATDC 243 Deg Duration

My Cams
    Inlet Open 37deg BTDC Closed 73 ABDC 290 Deg Duration
    Exhaust opens 71 BBDC Closed 18 ATDC 269 Deg Duration

So my cams are what some call a fast road cam. May explain why my idle is slightly lumpy but still better than some 348 I've seen. The problem I have is the valves with undersize clearance have the lowest duration and the valves with the greatest clearance has the lowest duration, meaning I can't swap shims.

I've taken the cams out to change the seals swap some shims about only to find I also have different cam followers (see photo). Does anyone know where I can get some new shims from?? I'm hoping Ray Ferguson will post because he owned the car and performed loads of modification to the car.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

348paul is offline I have a dodgy moustache - the Ferrari 308 Sponsor
    Name
    Paul

I think I am right in saying that you check cam timing with clearances set to 0.5mm Im pretty sure you have false readings.

Paul

Name
    Dunx

I think this is where the translation from Italian to English looses it's meaning in the workshop manual. It says once the valves are fitted and correctly shimmed to check the opening point. At this stage you can not addjust the shims to get 0.5 clearance. I took the opening point to be where the valve has opened 0.5mm.

The last owner has got in touch and confirmed the cams were changed by R&D in Eccles. I'll try and get in touch with them tuesday and see if they have any records of what cams were fitted.

Does anyone know the best way to remove the front crank pulley?? It's how to stop the engine turning is the problem.

Cheers Dunx

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

Dunx

don't know if you can do it on the 348 but comon practice to undo the crank bolt is to remove the starter and wedge something in the flywheel or starter ring gear

Fraccie is offline Don't mention the war! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right Club Member
    Name
    Ade

Quote Originally Posted by Littleblackflash
    I think this is where the translation from Italian to English looses it's meaning in the workshop manual. It says once the valves are fitted and correctly shimmed to check the opening point. At this stage you can not addjust the shims to get 0.5 clearance. I took the opening point to be where the valve has opened 0.5mm.

The last owner has got in touch and confirmed the cams were changed by R&D in Eccles. I'll try and get in touch with them tuesday and see if they have any records of what cams were fitted.

Does anyone know the best way to remove the front crank pulley?? It's how to stop the engine turning is the problem.

Cheers Dunx
    Air impact gun mate...........is the engine still in the car?
    4052'31.17"N............. 2920'25.48"E

Dale is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Expert
    Name
    Dale

Quote Originally Posted by fractiousgit
    Air impact gun mate...........is the engine still in the car?
    on a vectra/mondeo yes,not on a ferrari motor,lock the ring gear and use a breaker bar to remove crank nut,the shock of an air gun wont do the aux chain/gear's much good,
    the engine is out it has to be its a 348,
    Dale.
    Last edited by Dale; 16-04-2006 at 04:42 PM.

Fraccie is offline Don't mention the war! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right Club Member
    Name
    Ade

Quote Originally Posted by Dale
    on a vectra/mondeo yes,not on a ferrari motor,lock the ring gear and use a breaker bar to remove crank nut,the shock of an air gun wont do the aux chain/gear's much good,

Dale.
    You mean Ferrari engines are that fragile?....................damn,better be careful.

Dale is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Expert
    Name
    Dale

Quote Originally Posted by fractiousgit
    You mean Ferrari engines are that fragile?....................damn,better be careful.
    the crankshaft does not directly drive the t/belt its done by aux chain/gears on a 348,an air gun is bad practice on these crankbolt's,the engine's out so just gently slacken it off with a breaker bar,its not worth the risk of damage,

Dale.

Name
    Ade

Quote Originally Posted by Dale
    the crankshaft does not directly drive the t/belt its done by aux chain/gears on a 348,an air gun is bad practice on these crankbolt's,the engine's out so just gently slacken it off with a breaker bar,its not worth the risk of damage,

Dale.
    What is the reason behind the design being like that mate?....

Name
    Dunx

Tried locking the flywheel using a screwdriver through the hole in the casing and into the clutch. Using an 18" breaker bar the nut won't budge.

I have a air gun but its only 3/8" drive and the socket is 1/2" drive. I've a 1/2" one at work but that means waiting until wednesday.

I can't see a way of locking the pulley on the front without making a special ool so I guess the ring gear is the best place. Anyone know how tight is has to be done up to?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast