Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Restoration of a 246 GTS

Name
    Anthony

Default Restoration of a 246 GTS

Guys, I have just purchased a 246 GTS, and the fun begins ........... This is a copy of the monthly report that I am (hopefully) going to write for the Ferrari Owners Club UK (Essex region) news letter ............

FERRARI 246 GTS DINO

Its Sunday morning, 6.30 am and I get a call from a guy telling me that he knows of a stripped 246 GTS. He informs me that it is almost complete(?), ready to assemble, some new parts and VERY expensive. As some of you may remember I had a similar call a few years ago about a 365 GT 2+2. When I purchased this car, and after eighteen months my mechanic/friend turned it into a stunning car. The budget changed four times and the final cost was well over what I had estimated. I wonder if he is up for another challenge? I remember thinking that I was mad to take on the project and that I would NEVER do anything like that again..............

Later that day, when I drove up to what seemed like a small castle, four hours away, I was greeted by the very wealthy multiple Ferrari owner. Nice guy, but what a difficult man to deal with. Yes, his price was VERY expensive and there was no room for negotiations. Deal done and the following day I find myself much poorer than I was the day before. Thank goodness that my wife Pat is so understanding (the fact that she is counsellor is also a big bonus).

The shell and crates of spares will be delivered to my house on Tuesday. Hopefully I can persuade my mates, to get excited and involved in this project.

My time scale is 12 months to turn this bag of bits into a fantastic car that I will enjoy and hopefully it will stay with me for some time!

For those interested, I will try and give you a monthly update as to the progress of the rebuild.

Now it off to my garage to try and make space for the arrival of what will hopefully be an exciting and fascinating project.

Anthony
    Attached Images Attached Images     

isuk is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Iain

Congratulations It's great to see another one being brought back to life. Do you know the chassis number? I've got my second one currently half way through restoration and will be collecting a third that also needs restoring in a couple of weeks so am very familiar with your comments on costs always being higher than planned!

Name
    Darren Sullivan

Yr 3rd! Jeezus Iain!

'My name is Iain and I have a 6 cylinder habit'

(just intensely jealous really)

markst is offline You thought the Enzo was ugly? - The Ferrari FXX Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by isuk View Post
    Congratulations It's great to see another one being brought back to life. Do you know the chassis number? I've got my second one currently half way through restoration and will be collecting a third that also needs restoring in a couple of weeks so am very familiar with your comments on costs always being higher than planned!
    my god........3 .......

Name
    Deano

love these threads!

you guys should knock up a little website or blog/twitter

that other restro in the states was amazing and i sat there for hours reading a looking at the pictures

looking forward to the updates guys! enjoy

Name
    Rob

I'll be watching this

Iain- 3 Dinos? That's just greedy!

isuk is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by zoRob View Post
    I'll be watching this

Iain- 3 Dinos? That's just greedy!
    It's my pension investment Rob

Name
    DON HENSHALL

This is going to be a great thread. Good luck with the project

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Good luck with it, will be watching with interest. Just to keep us Dino lovers happy, any chance of a pic of the other two, just to sort of keep us going? I could be wrong but think I may have seen a pic of your stable on another forum. Weren't we chatting about Dinos being 'misunderstood' by the larger Ferrari comunity in their early life? If it was you the pic of all your cars lines up was fantastic to anyone who likes classic Ferraris.

Name
    Jason

Hi Anthony. I am sure the finished article will be worth the hard work. I too will be following this. Good luck!

Jason.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast