Page 4 of 176 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: F40 LM Restoration

Name
    Tim

In the bin is a bit of an exaggeration! Suspension and springs are going to a friend in the US, but the discs have spider cracks so are finished.

Car was used very rarely and in a future post you will see it was lucky it was only occasional.

Name
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tonyh View Post
    tim, i understand youre swapping notes with my f40 rebuilding m8 in denver, ryan
    I am indeed. Nice project. Who is doing it?

tonyh is offline Bus station dosser Club Member
    Name
    Tony H

Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    I am indeed. Nice project. Who is doing it?
    I'm not sure , will ask

tonyh is offline Bus station dosser Club Member
    Name
    Tony H

mainly ferrari of denver

Name
    Simon Stroud

Great thread, makes me feel better with my Spider refurb but i wont have an appreciating LM at the end.

Name
    Tim

A couple more shots of the interior as it all comes apart. The wiring was a mess, added to and cut out with no logic-German engineering? Hardly. Note the large red fog light in the second image hanging down to the left of the wheel. Believe it or not that was an oil pressure light. Clearly the driver was going to have a hard time explaining if he had grenaded the engine due to low oil pressure. Simple, ugly, effective but now history. Remains of the Fire extinguisher system on the floor which will also be replaced. Given what we found and to be revealed in a future post, it could well have come in handy. Had it been charged.

We then got the chassis on the computerised jig to set all our minds at rest and amazingly it was good news for a change: 'the straightest F40' they had ever come across, and they have done a few. Great to know we have a really good undamaged and true base to build up on given the history and the time and money being invested. All measurements have been recorded for the future as in due course I will put a book together on the history and the journey from start to finish as a permanent record.

Engine and gearbox still in situ at this stage as needed for checking panel clearances in the body shop so they are correctly stressed as well as ensuring we get the right clearances on the fuel tanks as they are very close to the manifolds. More on the fuel tank saga with the next post, as that was another discovery, but here, as you can see, we have now got them out and they too have gone to the bin.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Name
    Tim

After a long chat with Cristiano Michelotto, he has made various suggestions, one of which is to replace our Crown Wheel and Pinion with either the CAT version or USA version as that is a shorter gearing. Seeing as how this car was apparently timed in excess of 220MPH, that sounds like a good suggestion, assuming the price is right. Anyone out there know of a used one?

Name
    Nick Rayat

Hi Tim, top job nice to see it being bought back to life,what sort of figure do you have in mind for the project?

Name
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by 512kr View Post
    Hi Tim, top job nice to see it being bought back to life,what sort of figure do you have in mind for the project?
    More than I thought and can really afford, but it has to be done right. Just like converting a house, you have a stab at the cost when you see it, then you get into the roof and take the floorboards up and all your calcs go up in smoke.........

Name
    Candellara

Brilliant thread.

Although not in the same league as this fabulous F40, my ex-racer E-type is also being fairly challenging as many mods were made for racing (such as large oil pressure lights & uncharged fire extinguisher systems) and i'm now having to untangle and make sense of all of the modifications carried out some 20 odd years ago

Page 4 of 176 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast