Page 53 of 176 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: F40 LM Restoration

Name
    Tim

Oops, sorry hit the wrong button. This time with images but I am afraid in reverse order as I sruggle to figure out how to get them in the order I want. Never mind, gives you the idea.

This is now almost overkill. To the industrial art that is the silver framed, Michelotto clad chassis, we now add our fuel tanks, albeit only soft fitted for now. For those who joined the thread late, we built these beauties months ago, works of art in their own right. We did not want to have to take this car apart every five years to replace the old bags and so sought a more long lasting FIA approved alternative using a bit of modern tech. Taking the proven route of alloy tanks as fitted to US cars (these we actually custom built as being racing tanks there are a few differences in the fuel system) we lined them with sealant and filled with foam and then clad first in fibreglass to avoid galvanic corrosion, and then in Kevlar for added strength (and beauty). The various lugs you can see prodding from the tank are for the heat shields which will also be clad in Zircoflex so as to keep as much heat as possible away from them.

Mirroring the exact shape of the old tanks, this is somewhat better solution than what we inherited and which you can see here in the first image with its secure professional strapping-not. Very light, very strong and very durable. Maybe we have stumbled on something here as hot off the 'production line' the last image shows two new pairs of the raw alloy tanks soon to be the recipients of their fibreglass vest and Kevlar overcoat, one set for the other F40 in the shop and another set for another customer, both of whom are fed up with constant replacement. Orders please!

This last shot does a good job of reminding me how far we have travelled. What a mess.

Also here you can see us making sure the new tanks will be comfortable in their new beds and ensure no shake rattle or roll, secured with a stainless steel strap a la Dino.

Name:  image-104.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  113.5 KBName:  image-106.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  138.1 KBName:  image-112.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  105.2 KBName:  image-103.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  120.4 KBName:  image-101.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  102.7 KBName:  image-2.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  106.3 KBName:  image-107.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  94.2 KBName:  image107.jpg
Size:  60.6 KBName:  image-108.jpg
Size:  130.0 KB

Name
    Meeten

Just WOW!!!

I joined this forum to read this thread.
    I don't have a fezza and am v unlikely to own one.
    But reading this thread has bought me so much joy... Like a good book I can't wait to see the end result.

Name
    G

Hi Tim, what capacity will,the new tanks have?
    Also if you know what bags can hold?..

Thanks and loving the thread!

Name
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by luckycolourblue View Post
    Hi Tim, what capacity will,the new tanks have?
    Also if you know what bags can hold?..

Thanks and loving the thread!
    Should be the same as the old. They have to go off for pressure testing now so we will only really know for sure when we fill her up. One day!

Meanwhile, another skill to be found at Mototechnique, in-house fabrication of our new plexi headlight lenses. It might look easy but this is an awkward material to work with requiring a delicate hand, more of a model makers job. They are so flat and clear that it is a problem getting a photo which does them justice.

Note in the last pic the dinky stainless Allen screws, the retaining bolts for which are set in the clam and the holes in the plexi have been slightly oversized so there is no resistance around the screw which might promote cracking. As I said earlier, a delicate material.

Name:  image-22.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  173.6 KBName:  image-24.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  104.7 KBName:  image21.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  86.0 KBName:  image-25.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  87.3 KBName:  mage20.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  102.7 KBName:  image-23.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  86.4 KB

Name
    Tim

As it is a Sunday, all I can offer are a few left overs from last weeks efforts.

Windscreen being checked to make sure all heating elements are OK. Now sprayed Chassis X bar check fitted (makes life even more difficult when you have to treat the chassis like finished bodywork) and finally a few more ancillaries making their way off the restoration line. Headlights all cleaned up, rear lights all remounted in newly finished grilles.

Tomorrow will being a change of emphasis as we finally begin to turn our attention to the engine which has been spread across the countryside until recently and is now all starting to come home to Mototechnique. The start of another major milestone, so long awaited.

Name:  image122.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  126.8 KBName:  image-115.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  148.0 KBName:  image-111 copy.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  122.1 KB

Name
    Ronald Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    As it is a Sunday, all I can offer are a few left overs from last weeks efforts.

Windscreen being checked to make sure all heating elements are OK. Now sprayed Chassis X bar check fitted (makes life even more difficult when you have to treat the chassis like finished bodywork) and finally a few more ancillaries making their way off the restoration line. Headlights all cleaned up, rear lights all remounted in newly finished grilles.

Tomorrow will being a change of emphasis as we finally begin to turn our attention to the engine which has been spread across the countryside until recently and is now all starting to come home to Mototechnique. The start of another major milestone, so long awaited.

Name:  image122.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  126.8 KBName:  image-115.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  148.0 KBName:  image-111 copy.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  122.1 KB
    We can accept the "left overs"! How far away is the car from "chez-toi"? Do you pop in on the way home from work?
    Every post is a feast.

Name
    Ned Schneebly

Excellent thread Tim.

As an aside, what are your plans for the car once completed ? Is it going to be a garage queen (I could fully understand if it were given the work that has gone in to it), or are you going to drive it regularly for fun/meets ?

Name
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by JoyZipper View Post
    Excellent thread Tim.

As an aside, what are your plans for the car once completed ? Is it going to be a garage queen (I could fully understand if it were given the work that has gone in to it), or are you going to drive it regularly for fun/meets ?
    Primarily track fun with a very small amount of road work, mainly to get to the track, a sort of modern day GTO.

Well we haven't seen any engine bits for a while and rather like buses, you wait forever and then more than one comes along as you will learn in the next few days.

Finally,after many months in the queue at Crosthwaites, we are starting to get all our parts back; time and money is the price of dealing with the best. First up are our cylinder heads, both have been chemically dipped and deep cleaned, valve guides replaced and new inlet and exhaust valves fitted. Valve guides were changed as they were affecting seat alignment and a close inspection revealed that 50% of the valves had been roughly ground, breaking through the surface hardening to reduce the stem length, presumably to get around clearance issues. Consequently the valves were all replaced due to general age and condition and for good housekeeping. Valve seats were inspected and judged to be in good condition and so were recut to suit the new valves have had a light cut, but we will need to hand lap them in with elbow grease.

More than we would have hoped to do but the alarm bells went off when disassembling as checking the clearances they were all over the shop, some alarmingly so.

In effect new heads.

Name:  image-6.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  130.2 KBName:  image-7.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  103.8 KBName:  image-8.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  157.9 KBName:  image-9.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  132.2 KBName:  image-10.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  114.6 KB

Name
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by ronrob View Post
    We can accept the "left overs"! How far away is the car from "chez-toi"? Do you pop in on the way home from work?
    Every post is a feast.
    Thanks Ron. I am thinking three months but it is always thinking three months! No I am in touch with the shop on a daily basis, but visit only every few weeks due to time constraints and being an hour or so away.

Name
    Tim

The engine was putting out 650 HP at the rear wheels at full boost, and 720 at the flywheel and was dynoed as such not that long ago and we would like to approximately match these figures. However, too much of this power was achieved through boost and the stress full boost places on reliability is substantial as has been clearly established by all the issues the engine has had over its meagre 12,000 miles (new heads etc) and further confirmed by what we found on teardown (crank, valves etc); clearly no point in rebuilding it exactly as it was as otherwise we will be here again in a few thousand miles.

We have always said what we are after is RELIABLE power and this means taking as much stress out of the engine wherever the opportunity presents itself, and one significant but expensive way of doing this is with the use of exotic metals. For the crank not to have to swing round unnecessary additional weight is achieving exactly that and we already have our lightweight flywheel saving us many pounds, but we can now add to that even more directly as Michelotto pathfound and established twenty years ago with his LM programme.

Here is our first glimpse of our LM spec Titanium con rods. If I have my maths correct, it turns out these save over 3lbs in rotational mass which is a monster difference exactly where you need it. We were only allowed to see them and snatch a quick iphone shot, before, rather like a newborn, they were whisked away by the midwife (Crosthwaites)for the balancing act. Yes, undoubtably expensive, but having the engine in pieces it would be foolish not to take advantage of the opportunity. And, let's face it, they are yet another thing of beauty.

As a consequence of this and other modern developments, small and large (Zircotec finish to inlet manifolds and hot side of the turbos being a small example, contemporary turbos being a large one) we are confident that we can achieve probably the same output, without resorting to high boost, leaving that only for an occasional banzai lap when it will certainly produce more than the 720, but over time at a cost. We also know from those midnight conversations with CM that a combination of high boost and high compression pistons mandated a new crankshaft every 4,500 miles. No thanks, we want to use it without that countdown clock ticking in the background. No point building in foreseeable issues.

Next week we await delivery of the entire assembly (crank, rods, pistons, rings, flywheel etc) which are all being dynamically balanced and which will take quite some few days to achieve what we want. This engine has got to go together as perfectly and as blueprinted as possible with no HP or reliability left on the table. Tough ask, but that is the goal.