Default Hard Data

Name:  dino auction 1.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  33.5 KBName:  dino pricing  1.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  38.2 KB

My 5p worth.

http://rjmghome.blogspot.co.uk/#!/20...12-review.html

It looks bubbly, but it has for some time. The Octane article is wrong about 1989 prices of Dinos, they got to 185k. Today we have a car advertised about a year ago from a screen price of 145k (for three years) re-advertised at 255k

They are however, beautiful cars and I too wish I'd bought one when I first thought about it.

Name
    spice

I've just come back from 2018 , I'm gonna bag myself a 512bb :: and my 355 has topped 100k

Murph7355 is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Murph

It will indeed.

Couple of quick things...

- I didn't say age does not have an impact, and agree that the 40yr mark does seem to be a good start point for rises in prices. But it does not explain exponential growth in prices.

- I only mentioned the 993 as an example of how daft things are getting. It's happening, as you note, because the price of genuinely rare examples from the same marque are rocketing. Not because the cars warrant those levels of spend.

I don't believe this is universally because rich people think of them as works of art. I suspect it's "less rich" people hanging off the coat tails trying to jump on the curve.

This, IMO, is precisely what led to things getting out of control way back when.

I have similar views on the F40 incidentally. It's not truly rare, and prices have grown exponentially in the last few years. This, just like our economic situation pre-2008, is not sustainable.

People might be buying them to collect. But in sufficient quantity to sustain exponential growth? Or even moderate growth from current prices? I'm sure people in the late 80s were also saying similar, and assuming problems wouldn't hit them... Some, who really loved them, will no doubt have kept their cars despite losing their shirts. But the price curve didn't fall off a cliff because the majority were doing so...

isuk is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Iain

512 BB is a good shout in all seriousness. Under valued for a long, long time but set for resurgence without a doubt. Values have already started slowly rising but as ever it's important to do a lot of research. Some parts are very hard to come by now I'm told. The 355 is still too modern to see any serious rise in values but likely to remain stable with even a modest upswing for better examples. They are expensive cars to put right versus the initial purchase costs if bought badly and I know of dealers who've been caught out taking some in on part exchange then finding they need a lot of work to sort out. Better to start buying up and hoarding NLA spare parts for them if you want to see a return on capital when values do finally start to rise to a point where thorough overhauls are cost effective. Bag a fibre glass 308 instead and tuck it away for a few years

Murph7355 is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Murph

Quote Originally Posted by F328NVL View Post
    It looks bubbly, but it has for some time.
    If anything, to me, it looks like a bigger bubble brewing.

And I would bet you will see the same shape curves for all the sort of cars that took off in the late 80s.

Just like property prices, the economy etc.

My biggest regret (well that and not buying Barclays shares at 55p despite friends taking that recommendation big time!) was not buying a Miura when I bought the Daytona. Still, hindsight is perfect.

Hopefully a Dino or something will be viable when I retire And looking at Iain's, it would have to white.

Name
    Paul

What a lovely pair of cars you have there Iain
    I could not give frig about values and bubbles its all about the cars for me

Name
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by PAUL V View Post
    What a lovely pair of cars you have there Iain
    I could not give frig about values and bubbles its all about the cars for me
    Cheers Paul I was just about to post that we're going off at a tangent as I never intended to start a thread to speculate on values but simply to share the results of restoring a few oldies

Name
    spice

Quote Originally Posted by isuk View Post
    Cheers Paul I was just about to post that we're going off at a tangent as I never intended to start a thread to speculate on values but simply to share the results of restoring a few oldies
    Quite right , by the way on the issue of original spare parts , I have been in a store room containing Ferrari parts collected over 50 years , obscure nuts , bolts, clocks , trim,wheels,boxes of engine bits ,badges and all sorts just waiting for their day to be required

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

Two words then two more.
    Very Envious, Very pretty

Name
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by spice View Post
    Quite right , by the way on the issue of original spare parts , I have been in a store room containing Ferrari parts collected over 50 years , obscure nuts , bolts, clocks , trim,wheels,boxes of engine bits ,badges and all sorts just waiting for their day to be required
    I'll send you some part numbers so you can go back and have a rummage for me

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast