Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Le Mans 2013

AJ3XX is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    Andy

Default Le Mans 2013

I've been asked to try and arrange a last-minute trip to Le Mans this year for a friends 50th. There'll probably only be three of us going, maybe just the two.

I've never been before so I'm looking for some recommendations, some 'do's and don'ts'.

Firstly, as its only a few weeks away, is there any chance of getting tickets ?

What's the best way to get there, fly, drive, walk ?
    What's the best way to stay, Camp, Hotel, B&B .. ?
    Is the Le Mans 24hr the best event ? isn't there a Classic Le Mans ?

Any advice greatly appreciated
    Ferrari 348 - "still stands out from a crowd but yet still fits in” - Randy Stetson

Name
    attilio

I went 3 years ago
    I drove there door took door me 7hr nice roads simple to get there i had a sat nav . We camped good fun
    Supper market is near bye so food and drink is no problem camp site was blue nord witch is next to the circuit 3min walk toilet and showers were not that good but then there were a lot of people .would I go again?
    Yes as long as you have mates with you a few bottles of wine and the weather is a must not fun if camping .
    Don't know about tickets now I got mine through the Internet 6 months befor.
    Good luck havecfun

jtremlett is offline Overpriced piece of old tat - Ferrari 250 GTO Club Member
    Name
    J Tremlett

Le Mans Classic is alternate years, so not this year.

Tickets for entry and circuit camp sites for the 24 Hours from here: www.lemans.org/en/tickets.html

Jonathan

Mulc is offline Girl's Porsche Boxster Club Member
    Name
    Malcolm

On my 28th visit this year. Truly is a doddle. Have a look at Club Arnage on t'interweb. Really useful tips and advice there. May even get camping and grandstand tickets there at cost price.
    I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.

Name
    Steve Field

On my 10 year this year, always drive down as its part of the event!. Tickets won't be a problem you can buy on the gate.
    We stay at Club Valan which is on the airport and within easy walking distance of the main entrance. The main sites around the track are great fun but I've found the sanitary arrangements wanting to say the least.
    It can get a bit rowdy on the track sites as well so sleeping can be a pita.
    Great fun, give it a go!.

t1grm is offline It's basically an old car with a stripe - The Ferrari Challenge Stradale Club Member
    ii

As has been said entry tickets are no problem. Buy them on the gate. Campsite tickets will probably be mostly sold out but check on ebay for tickets on sale by groups who have had people dropout. TBH your biggest problem is going to be getting across the channel. I would imagine the Dover ferry and the tunnel are all fully booked over race weekend – at least on the sensible sailing/train times.

Edit: Some camping tickets here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Events-Tic...w=le+mans+2013
    Last edited by t1grm; 20-05-2013 at 08:45 AM.

Name
    Mandy

I went last year through Travel Destinations. They sorted out entry, grandstand and their campsite is next to the Porsche curves. They may be worth a try to see if they have any availability left.

Work committments have taken priority this year, but its on my list to go again next year
    Avviene un punto nella tua vita quando capisci chi veramente importa, chi non a mai è chi sempre sarà

AJ3XX is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    Andy

some great advice - thanks all.

I did a little more research over the weekend myself and as posted above, crossing The Channel is going to be an issue.

I must admit, I'm more keen to go to the Classic one next year so if I can't source camping or crossing tickets, it might be a blessing in disguise for me.

Has anyone been to both ? Is the classic one as good, better / worse ? I have read the normal one has become quite a rowdy event with a lot of drunk young lads ? I'm sure that's just a few idiots ??

Andy
    Ferrari 348 - "still stands out from a crowd but yet still fits in” - Randy Stetson

Name
    jos

It depends on your tastes : if you like Goodwood go to the Classic

t1grm is offline It's basically an old car with a stripe - The Ferrari Challenge Stradale Club Member
    ii

Personally I wasn't keen on the classic. Walking round the paddock looking at the cars was quite interesting but the on track action was pretty lack lustre with long gaps between races. It's more of a car show than a race meeting IMHO. Also it didn’t have the same vibe off circuit in town and around the villages as the 24. It’s personal preference I guess.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast