Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 355 sticky interior parts

Name
    bruce cuthbert

Default 355 sticky interior parts

Most 355 have sticky parts due to the rubberised trim fitted by Ferrari, parts are often affected include
    Had brake grip
    Air vents on dash
    Steering binnacle
    Centre Hvac and consul
    Ashtray
    Door release levers

I have researched and there is loads of info on Fchat. There are reports as to how to do it all yourself
    Recommendation to strip the parts and send to Stickynomore in USA who seem very highly recommendedThere are tips as to how to do yourself . I am happy to do the Hills change of Hvac panel but doing the rest is noy my comfort zone!

Does anyone know a UK alternative please.suggestions welcome. Otherwise stripping interior and sending to USA seems only alternative. Mine isn't too bad but I am a tad annal

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Most 355 have sticky parts due to the rubberised trim fitted by Ferrari, parts are often affected include
    Had brake grip
    Air vents on dash
    Steering binnacle
    Centre Hvac and consul
    Ashtray
    Door release levers

I have researched and there is loads of info on Fchat. There are reports as to how to do it all yourself
    Recommendation to strip the parts and send to Stickynomore in USA who seem very highly recommendedThere are tips as to how to do yourself . I am happy to do the Hills change of Hvac panel but doing the rest is noy my comfort zone!

Does anyone know a UK alternative please.suggestions welcome. Otherwise stripping interior and sending to USA seems only alternative. Mine isn't too bad but I am a tad annal
    Hi Bruce, a few 348 guys have done theirs themselves and could give you some pointers (Jeff, Clive77, Matt (J70) I think). My car was totally done by Matt at D2Detail in Loughborough and the results were excellent - real mess before, perfect afterwards. Blast from the past but here's the results he got:

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  192.2 KB
    Name:  6.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  200.0 KB
    Name:  7.jpg
Views: 1256
Size:  125.2 KB
    Name:  8.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  141.2 KB
    Name:  9.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  193.7 KB
    Name:  10.jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  127.2 KB
    Name:  11.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  146.2 KB

His website is here: http://www.d2detail.com/

Pete

Name
    bruce cuthbert

Blimey they look good . Are the parts still rubberised with the same feel as without the sticky?

Did you take the car to him or strip the parts ?
    Very helpful thanks

Name
    Clive

Bruce

I've just done quite a few of the bits on my 348. By chance I found a company near Aldermaston, Berkshire (Le Carousel Industrial Paint Finishers - Tel Sean on 0118 9700228), who can respray the parts using a German rubberised paint. It gives the only authentic factory soft touch finish I've come across. In fact Robbie from Stickynomore was kind enough to send me the decals for the dashboard vents - I have goiven him the contact details of LeCarousel as Robbie's excellent long life finish is a hard application - not factory soft touch.

I spent a few evenings taking off the old sticky rubber - I found the wife's nail varnish remover was best with lots of green scotch pads cut down to a small size. The spraying is the easy bit!

I was extremely pleased with the results - it really was factory fresh. My other vents are just turning sticky - that's this winters job!!
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Blimey they look good . Are the parts still rubberised with the same feel as without the sticky?

Did you take the car to him or strip the parts ?
    Very helpful thanks
    Obviously Clive above has told you about getting them rubberised, I just got mine stripped and painted, depends on how true to the original you want to be. With D2Detail my car was at Shiltech and D2Detail took it all apart, stripped them, painted them and put them all back. They'll pick your car up (obviously for a fee) so there's really zero hassle involved. Clive's is a concours car, very original and the rubberising keeps that the case. I think he'll agree that there's very little in it between the interiors of our 2 motors though, the painting is pretty good. Just depends on how true to the original you want to be.

Pete

Name
    bruce cuthbert

I want to keep to original wherever possible. Clive did they do the Hvac and if so did they get those decals from Robbie as well or did you use the Hills engineering part thanks

Name
    Matt

I want to keep to original wherever possible.
    Oh, I agree, but in my case, as Nosevi refers to above I stripped and painted mine myself, they were awful, worse than his pics of his. I did it in the couple of weeks after Clive mentioned the firm from Northampton and his photos look stunning. But, I did the simple strip and paint myself because a) whenever I was working on electrical issues I was getting hands and fingers covered in sticky which I was transferring to the leather (try climbing out of an inverted position in the footwell without touching anything!) b) nothing I did precluded a later "sending away and done properly"

To remove I used "Sticky Stuff Remover" , yellow tin available from Halfords, scraping with old store cards, then as the layers got thinner, engine degreaser and an old (manual) toothbrush - it just took time and care.(Eric Johnson's "Cliffs of Dover" is good toothbrushing music )

To paint I used rattle can "Matt Black" - OK, its not rubberised and deliberately just a thin coat, but its enabled me to clean my seats and interior in "safety" and chase down my remaining electrical issues - and as I said, I can always send them away to get done "properly" over the winter if I want to. Below is before, stripped and painted
    Name:  GearshiftTrim_zpsc054905e.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  34.6 KB

Terry is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Expert
    Name
    Terry

Bruce, quite a number of threads on this subject on CS. A few of them here:

http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/...astic-bits-355

http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/...55-sticky-bits

http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/...placment-guide

Clive may have found the ideal local solution to sending them off to Robbie in the US, I have a spare set of vents which I may send them.

I have also just bought a new product from Frosts which seems to be an alternative to PlastiDip.

http://www.frost.co.uk/review-frost-...m_medium=email

It has not been delivered yet but will give it a test perhaps on one of the spare vents I have. I find PlastDip is good and provides the correct feel and texture but perhaps it is a little fragile.

Name
    Rob

other option if cost efficient, is to purchase replacements.

Name
    bruce cuthbert

750 ashtray only

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast