Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: RD250LC Project

Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    A few years since I added to this thread, I still have Elsie but as Iím between Ferraris ATM I thought Iíd update with my new
    acquisition.

Itís an original unmolested survivor with two previous owners (one for 32 years), just 8k miles and totally original apart from the white paintwork which had to be done due to a cracked tank (common issue).

Just a lovely piece of 70ís motorcycle history for those of a certain age

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...57029e858d.jpg
    Nice looking bike Mike, just restoring my 76 400C that i picked up in 2014, Prices have gone mad

Post some more photos up when you can

Modificato is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    CPD

I had an RD400E which I mono-shocked with a 350LC rear and much modified frame

I loved that bike and it was a great combination of special / quick / stealth that I loved.

Wasn't until I got to a GSX-R 750 that I felt the same...

The 1100R I graduated to scared me to death and my brother was killed on his...

That was the end of my biking days apart from a brief dalliance with a VFR400R pocket rocket.

Looking at bikes now I do fancy a 600 of some sort

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    I had an RD400E which I mono-shocked with a 350LC rear and much modified frame

I loved that bike and it was a great combination of special / quick / stealth that I loved.

Wasn't until I got to a GSX-R 750 that I felt the same...

The 1100R I graduated to scared me to death and my brother was killed on his...

That was the end of my biking days apart from a brief dalliance with a VFR400R pocket rocket.

Looking at bikes now I do fancy a 600 of some sort
    I fancy building a 350LC based special.
    Itís finding a bad enough bike at the right price to start with as itíd be sacrilege to use even a poor one.

I used to run a GSXR 750 in the early 90ís but found myself getting into trouble too often so got out of super bikes.

Now Iím happy with a bike that feels like itís doing 90 at 60 MPH and the crap brakes keep you sensible.
    I just love everything about two strokes also.

That said Iíll add an adventure bike soon. Probably a GS1200.

A348W is online now Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

So thatís three of us who have had GSXR 750s!

I had a second gen slab side. Could never get on with the brakes on that. Thought about modifying it but went to the last gen carb Blade. That just actively encouraged you to drive like a nutter; but I did get the hang of doing decent stoppies on it

Itís a shame my dad wonít let me have his LC. (Well ultimately I will in his estate!) That would be a great project, and is mint except for the dent in the tank from my hand; the one and only time that bike was dropped ever!

Name
    Mike M

Dents are easy fixable.

Just make sure the tanks drained of fuel and if possible get it sealed as the tin work is wafer thin and they fail on the lower left hand side.
    A decent matching numbers U.K. 350 is well north of 10k now....
    They were about a grand new and built to last about 2 years!

A348W is online now Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

The dent/ crack was all fixed at the time, but would need to be done again as we just sealed it, faired it and painted it with a rattle can; rather than pulling the dent and welding the crack up correctly! It would also need to be painted professionally and the tank decals put back.

I still remember the day my dad brought it home. He was like a kid in a candy store and nothing was going to stop him picking up his brand new toy. I think he had ordered it before X-mas and it was ready in March or April, too many years ago to remember now. Just so happened we had a small snow storm the day he collected it, but he still got home in one piece Clipons, black chrome Micron spannies and a welded crank soon followed! (He still has a box of all the original parts.)

That thing was serious loud

Didn't realise they were those sorts of numbers, I did realise they were worth a bit, but not that much!

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    I fancy building a 350LC based special.
    Itís finding a bad enough bike at the right price to start with as itíd be sacrilege to use even a poor one.

I used to run a GSXR 750 in the early 90ís but found myself getting into trouble too often so got out of super bikes.

Now Iím happy with a bike that feels like itís doing 90 at 60 MPH and the crap brakes keep you sensible.
    I just love everything about two strokes also.

That said Iíll add an adventure bike soon. Probably a GS1200.
    I Love 2 strokes and always wanted to do a street TZ750 in something like a spondon frame....

Or an RG500 in a trick frame

LOVE two strokes

Name
    Bryan Baker

I used to have a motorcycle before but I have to sell it last year due to the pandemic.

Name
    Mike M

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...bee7ad1d05.jpg

Todayís fun and games..... I stripped the top end off the LC to refinish the barrels/head as the paint I used originally started to come away....
    LH piston has a crack in it. Looks like it was a good time to strip it down.
    I think Iíll replace both as even though I have a spare 0.25 oversize, I donít believe it is a TKR piston. I think someoneís put a cheap one in an old box
    I need to dig into it a bit in case this is a symptom of something else not a random failure. I seem to remember this being caused by some other underlying issue.
    Thankfully the bores are still perfect [emoji108]

Name
    CPD

mike,

....knowing a bit about two stroke engines that looks almost 100% manufacturing defect to me

failure in that plane is normally only down to two things - Gudgeon pin to tight / small end heating problem or manufacturing defect / materials issue

It looks like the latter to me because the former would show signs of excess heat build uo around the gudgeon pin area of the piston

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast