Thread: Ferrari back at Le Mans in LMP?

Name
    Matt

Default Ferrari back at Le Mans in LMP?

Various internet rumours doing the rounds yesterday that Ferrari are set to announce a return to Le Mans in LMP1
    I think I'm right in saying F.Alonso is the race starter this weekend - so I guess that adds weight to the rumour.

I know Ferrari have "form" lets say, for showing an interest in other forumulae when F1 isnt going well, but I cant see it. Can you?

Wouldnt it make more sense for one of the other stable brands?

Zuff is offline Girl's Porsche Boxster Club Member
    Name
    Simon

I can see it....why not? The fuss around the Porsche return will not have gone unnoticed in Maranello.

Name
    Slapshot

With Adrian Newey on board I reckoned an LMP1 entry was inevitable. As Adrian's now re-signed with Red Bull I guess that can't happen. Perhaps Ross Brawn will re-emerge and steer Ferrari's LeMans efforts?

Name
    Matt

Been thinking about it a bit more, and gut feel it wont go any higher than "rumour" , unless:

1. Its about "power" in F1. BE's in court. RBR and Merc are the teams at the front of F1 on performance, and might be percieved as becoming more powerful than Ferrari when it comes to negotiations.
    2. They have knowledge of the 2016 Le Mans regs and hence would be running an experimental prototype, sort of outside the regs. (which is allowed) Prior to a full attack later.
    3. Certainly gut feel, GT/Prototype racing is the asendancy whereas F1's start is waining.

But it struck me there was no point making a La Ferrari LMP car, there all sold. And I'd guess if they made an Evo version in 12-24months time, they'd sell too - without the need for an LMP programme to promote the brand/tech/car.
    Plus, in terms of the "normal" road cars, there is enough "promotion" to exploit in terms of the GT car's performance. (458 was a leading the times in GT Pro last night etc)

My guess is the logic chain the journos have followed is - F.Alonso is starting the race > Senior Ferrari bods taking an interest in Le Mans > Ferrari are coming back to Le Mans.
    So I guess the real question is why is F.Alonso interested, is his employer taking him there, or is he going there to "network" for job opportunities post F1 , or just as a fan, and hence going privately ?