Page 99 of 99 FirstFirst ... 4989979899

Thread: F430 New owner diary inc. maintenance & upgrades

Modificato is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40
    Name
    CPD

Nice work.

I know what you mean about beating they get especially from UK roads which really are a disgrace.

Given me food for thought that has.

An exchange service would be great for the Ferrari community.

JohnJStewart is offline I have a dodgy moustache - the Ferrari 308 Club Member
    Name
    John Stewart

Default Suspension work

That's some serious expense....I have HE track rod ends, Ferrari drop links and roll bar bushes ready to install but failed at the first DIY hurdle in that I could not get the first bolts on the existing droplink to move and could not get the existing rollbar bush to move - although I should have jacked up both sides of the car first and didn't. I have thought about removing all the suspension arms as you have done but chucking the best part of £1500 at some bushes feels like a waste although would be very satisfying once done.

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by MWStewart View Post
    Front Suspension Refresh
    The suspension components take a beating in these cars. The Hill Engineering track rod ends were new only 7k miles ago, but poor road surfaces wear them out in no time. I put together a spare set of wishbones to make the swap easier with less time off of the road.
    Attachment 157083

I had the arms vapour blasted. I'm going to replace all ball joints, track rod ends, and the flamblocs. The arms will be assembled by AV Engineering.
    Attachment 157084
    Attachment 157085

Here's what the titanium wheel spindles look like after vapour blasting. Now I will send them for hard anodising, which is the final surface treatment process before they are ready to use. The end result will be a perfect match for the OEM titanium wheel bolts.
    Attachment 157086
    Awesome stuff as always Mark [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name
    Mark

Thanks all. Our roads really are a disgrace, aren't they?

Maintaining the suspension within spec on this chassis type is an expense, and actually I'll go as far as to suggest that the ball joints aren't the right choice for the application, but they do provide a level of feedback that is hard to beat plus they really highlight the chassis brilliance. The trouble is that I notice small amounts of wear, and it bugs me when driving hard.

I bought the second set of arms to use a PoC for more sensible joints & bushes with very close performance characteristics yet significantly better wear characteristics but, as always, time pressures and another (one or two) car projects got in the way. I may continue in due course.

Name
    CPD

Thanks all. Our roads really are a disgrace, aren't they?

Maintaining the suspension within spec on this chassis type is an expense, and actually I'll go as far as to suggest that the ball joints aren't the right choice for the application, but they do provide a level of feedback that is hard to beat plus they really highlight the chassis brilliance. The trouble is that I notice small amounts of wear, and it bugs me when driving hard.

I bought the second set of arms to use a PoC for more sensible joints & bushes with very close performance characteristics yet significantly better wear characteristics but, as always, time pressures and another (one or two) car projects got in the way. I may continue in due course.
    Itís a proper conundrum because itís not just ferrari but Porsche (GT series cars), Lamborghini, Mclaren et al now use similar.

When you sample the roads around Stuttgart itís no problem but here in the UK they are terrible but everyone else is driving a 4x4 anyway (or so it seems). I have faired well with both of my Ferrariís as the chassis are all in good condition but the same can not be said of my MSport BMW 335hybrid which needs the front wishbones and steering rack doing at 80k miles,

UK roads...

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Itís a proper conundrum because itís not just ferrari but Porsche (GT series cars), Lamborghini, Mclaren et al now use similar.

When you sample the roads around Stuttgart itís no problem but here in the UK they are terrible but everyone else is driving a 4x4 anyway (or so it seems). I have faired well with both of my Ferrariís as the chassis are all in good condition but the same can not be said of my MSport BMW 335hybrid which needs the front wishbones and steering rack doing at 80k miles,

UK roads...
    Chris, Did I just see you pull into the industrial estate outside Silverstone for the Ferrari Racing Day?

Name
    CPD

Chris, Did I just see you pull into the industrial estate outside Silverstone for the Ferrari Racing Day?
    Yes you did :-)

Name
    Mark

Yes you did :-)
    The car looks great - I noticed the winglets and then your plate.

I didn't go in - I was meeting a friend outside to collect some parts - but I will go to next year's.

Name
    CPD

The car looks great - I noticed the winglets and then your plate.

I didn't go in - I was meeting a friend outside to collect some parts - but I will go to next year's.
    Itís a great event yet slightly weird because the previous two years have been without spectators. Was good to catch up with the Italian Ferrari staff as well as the guys from Stratstone who spanner on my cars. No track time for me this time except for the parade which I am not really Into but a mate who works aero for Aston Martin F1 wanted to hitch a ride. The 599 is going in to R&D next week to get the brakes sorted and despite the rubber not seeing much UV light they are well past their best and with the GTO wheels I am looking to get it set up for another tilt at the Mille Miglia Tribute (#4) next year.

Name
    Mark

Itís a great event yet slightly weird because the previous two years have been without spectators. Was good to catch up with the Italian Ferrari staff as well as the guys from Stratstone who spanner on my cars. No track time for me this time except for the parade which I am not really Into but a mate who works aero for Aston Martin F1 wanted to hitch a ride. The 599 is going in to R&D next week to get the brakes sorted and despite the rubber not seeing much UV light they are well past their best and with the GTO wheels I am looking to get it set up for another tilt at the Mille Miglia Tribute (#4) next year.
    What are you having done to the brakes?

I would love to enter the MM. I signed up to the newsletter and created an account but never heard anything more. If you have any advice or information it'd be gladly received.

Page 99 of 99 FirstFirst ... 4989979899