Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel line recall info.

Pangea is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    Nick

Default Fuel line recall info.

Having had a conversation with Matt J70 about broken fuel lines I thought I would put up this info. Its taken from
    a factory recall booklet which I own. Its a US market item but Im sure this would apply anywhere in the world. There
    are a couple of other pages on the steering column bolts too.

Name:  Windows Phone_20150317_037.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  37.0 KB
    Name:  Windows Phone_20150317_038.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  53.9 KB
    Name:  Windows Phone_20150317_039.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  61.8 KB
    Name:  Windows Phone_20150317_040.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  42.2 KB
    Name:  Windows Phone_20150317_041.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  62.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Name
    Matt

Thanks Nick.

To quickly share the "had a convsersation with" bit at the beginning with what I've found out.
    But first I would say to all the chaps - "Please go check yours"

1. Am doing the worlds longest (and probably most anal) annual service on my car. (Am really enjoying it actually) and Sunday was "fuel filter day" . In re-assembling the drivers side one I noticed the hose coupling (blue one) on the top of the filter was cracked.
    Name:  cracked.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  70.8 KB

I assumed it was me and my hamfistedness. Much swearing ensued. Then I looked at the passenger side one, and thats cracked too, and I hadnt touched that one at that stage. Bad photo, zoomed in on phone, with flash etc.
    Name:  cracked2.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  36.2 KB

So it wasnt me. So am changing both. (Felt sort of vindicated, the purpose of servicing the car is preventative maintainence, and I found something, so am fixing it. Hence a good thing once I get over the dissapointment)
    I'm still not sure if I broke the drivers side one or not. I dont think I did, but I'd cable tied it up high in the bay out of the way so only had a good look at it during re-assembly not before.

Obviously at that stage I didnt know if the issue was overtightening or heat. Heat - I'd change the other 2 (shorter ones) at the far end of the fuel rail (saw some pics of a 355's fuel filters and they looked to be wrapped with a heat shroud material). Overtightening - and I'd leave the shorter two alone because they've probably not been off the car, dont leak, arent cracked and I dont like fixing what isnt broken.

2. Did a small amount of googling, and several models were recalled for this issue - nuts cracking due to overtightening. If you go here http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/ and type in '92 and say '99 and Ferrari its lists this issue for several models.For example, for the 512TR it says
    POSSIBLE FUEL LEAKAGE
    As a result of repetitive tightening during filter renewals the pipe union may deform and leak fuel with the risk of an engine bay fire.
    Recall the affected vehicles and replace the original light alloy pipes with steel examples. Replacement pipes are coloured yellow to distinguish them from the originals which are blue.
    http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/reca...Text=Blank&tx=

What was interesting though, is that Jeff's (irarreF) car has yellow ended hoses.

3. So I emailed my local main dealer, Greypaul in Nottingham, who were kind enough, same day, to send me the records for my car showing that there hadnt been a recall for 348's of the same age of mine (First Reg May 92)
    (I wasnt after getting it done for free, I just wanted data to post up for the other chaps had anything come up)

4. I contacted QV in London, who do replacement hoses. They didnt actually have stock right then, but are getting some, so I thought I'd explore other options.
    Prosport have some in stock, 2nd hand, but given the notices above that the issue is from tightening/retightening, I didnt want 2nd hand.
    I've found a couple of online hose people, one of whom is reasonably local to me and have a counter service, so I'll probably shoot over there on Saturday am.
    Am sure I could communicate to an online hose supplier what I want, but they are handed, the pipe is too stiff to twist, so I want perfect copies - hence "show and tell" beats online.
    Name:  Hoses.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  49.8 KB
    Once I have a solution to hand I'll post up and share.
    Please forgive the insulating tape, have wrapped loops of the same colour round near the MAF's so I dont put back on the wrong sides.

Oh and for reference... with regard to the thread I started a couple of weeks ago in Ferrari Talk.
    This is how I prepared.

Name:  Extinguishers.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  82.3 KB

irarref is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Jeff

Cheaper than than new pipes from Ferrari and would cut quite a dash at the annual FOC dance... ;-')

Name:  flameproof suit.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  32.4 KB

Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by irarref View Post
    Cheaper than than new pipes from Ferrari and would cut quite a dash at the annual FOC dance... ;-')
    Hehehe, thats a great idea except https://youtu.be/qOyF4hR5GoE?t=1m8s

Name
    Paul

I had the same issue with mine Matt, i went into this and you can not get the 100% correct hoses made up over the counter as if i rememebr right it is the radius of the fittings on the fuel rail.

I will just go and dig out my invoice for mine and let you know where i had them done.

Name
    Paul

Here is the invoice, i had all 4 lines done 2 long ones and the 2 short ones, i just sent them my old ones as samples.

I believe Think Automotive is who makes them for QV anyway.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426776919.623791.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  340.4 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426776936.439650.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  320.6 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426776947.656952.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  323.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426776960.190204.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  327.3 KB
    Last edited by PAUL V; 19-03-2015 at 03:59 PM.

Name
    Matt

Thanks Paul.
    I think they will be making some more shortly too.

Name
    Carl

Mines a june92 model and had the same as you. It was picked up on engine out 2 had been done and other 2 were starting to crack as you've shown. All 4 were in the region of 1100! Went same route as Paul got all 4 for 250...crazy f tax. Will be interesting to see whether they suffer in the same way..hope not.
    A 348 is like Marmite, you love it or hate it. Boy do I love it!

Name
    GQ

Surely if this is a factory recall, you shouldn't be paying for any of it?

Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Quigs View Post
    Surely if this is a factory recall, you shouldn't be paying for any of it?
    I think I am right in saying that of the 348's only the very early ones were recalled.
    (Other models were also recalled)

But, if you think about it, and I guess its a question of reasonablness, my car is on its 7th cambelt, and who knows how many fuel filters* - so they have been off/on 10+, maybe more, times in 23yrs, and one has failed the other cracked and about to.
    Feedback I'm getting from other owners offline is that they are/have changed theirs in the previous 2-3years so at 20yrs old.
    Is that a reasonable lifespan? Especially with a frequently serviced and inspected car - I think it probably is.
    If we stick to the service schedule, I guess we should all this issue before it becomes are problem.

(*Filters is down as every other service, though I guess many times that would co-incide with the belts)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast