Thread: 550 Fuel Burp

Name
    jonnyjonkers

Default 550 Fuel Burp

I've had this problem a couple of times now with my 1997 550 Maranello

The fuel light comes on so I stop & refuel, both times with Shell V-Power actually. The pump clicks out at around 70 litres and shortly afterwards there's a fuel burp from the car, where fuel comes back out of the tank and sits in the filler neck. The first time I put the pump back in to open the little flap in the filler neck on the car (sorry, clearly I'm not very technical) so the fuel could run back into the tank.

On Sunday, however, the fuel kept coming and I was worried about it dripping on to the hot exhaust. I could see, as I drove away, a trail of fuel behind me. These things are expensive enough to run as it is without peeing fuel all over the place.

Am I over filling? I guess it depends on how much was in the tank to start with, but the needle was on zero and the fuel light was on.

In future I'll try not to add more than 65 litres from empty. Should be good for 260 miles..

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

The tank is huge on these - 120 litres give or take. I struggle to get a completely full tank in mine, if I try and put more in after the pump clicks off I get the fuel burp. But I would say I get it 95% full.

There's a channel that runs from the filler neck down the back of the wheel to take any excess fuel, so it won't reach the exhaust - it dumps it straight onto the ground.

The tank seems to run under a bit of pressure - I get a lot of air escaping when I unscrew the cap on mine. I've been told it's normal

sweeni is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    David Todd

Can I ask why you go to the expense of using Shell V-Power as they will run on 95octane quite happily?

The handbook claims the tank to be 116litre but I have never managed more than mid 90's so there must be a lot still in there when the needle is asleep and the orange light shinning?
    "When Lance "cries" on Oprah , spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances"

Name
    Mike M

Default 550 Fuel Burp

The 360 and most modern cars do not vent the tanks to atmosphere and I'd assume the 550 is the same.
    The vapour when the tank is filled is displaced through a carbon filter and is then pulled back into the intakes when the car is started.
    Has the filter ever been changed to your knowledge? If it is restricting flow the back pressure will built up in the tank and could vent out of the filler pipe.
    Or it could just be Italian!

Name
    jonnyjonkers

Quote Originally Posted by sweeni View Post
    Can I ask why you go to the expense of using Shell V-Power as they will run on 95octane quite happily?

The handbook claims the tank to be 116litre but I have never managed more than mid 90's so there must be a lot still in there when the needle is asleep and the orange light shinning?
    Yeah, I saw 116litre capacity online and thought it must be a typo.

Advertising, I guess, is the reason I use V-Power. That and collecting Avios! Also, I got so used to paying nearly 140p for regular unleaded over the last few years, V-Power these days now looks cheap.

Name
    jonnyjonkers

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    The tank is huge on these - 120 litres give or take. I struggle to get a completely full tank in mine, if I try and put more in after the pump clicks off I get the fuel burp. But I would say I get it 95% full.

There's a channel that runs from the filler neck down the back of the wheel to take any excess fuel, so it won't reach the exhaust - it dumps it straight onto the ground.

The tank seems to run under a bit of pressure - I get a lot of air escaping when I unscrew the cap on mine. I've been told it's normal
    Yes, I agree with all of the above. I now also keep a grippy glove in the car in case the cap won't release (more of an issue on my 328 TBH).

I have just recently had the fuel filter replaced. I guess as others have said, it's just the quirks of an Italian car! Gotta love 'em

I'm reassured I'm not alone with this issue, and happy with my 'don't go over 65 litres' work-around. Thanks guys.

Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyjonkers View Post
    Yes, I agree with all of the above. I now also keep a grippy glove in the car in case the cap won't release (more of an issue on my 328 TBH).

I have just recently had the fuel filter replaced. I guess as others have said, it's just the quirks of an Italian car! Gotta love 'em

I'm reassured I'm not alone with this issue, and happy with my 'don't go over 65 litres' work-around. Thanks guys.
    It's not the fuel filter, it is the charcoal evap control filter. On a 360 it is at the back of the engine bay. No idea where on a 550 but they are about 150.....

EDIT Something like No1 in this, two of them and they seem to be 60 each

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTabl...A=1&B=19835&S=

When the tank is filled, the vapour is displaced through a charcoal filter to remove the hydrocarbons. These are then bled back into the intake when the car runs.
    If this filter is blocked or there is a problem with the controls, the tank can pressurise when you fill it up and it will blow back through the filler neck.

M
    Last edited by Mike01606; 10-06-2015 at 01:27 PM.

Name
    jonnyjonkers

Thanks Mike, I'm going to have to get those checked out as that sounds like it could be the problem.