Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: 599GTB - Modificato Project

Modificato is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Default Service

Well the miles add up and so the 599 gets a service.

34,000 miles now and boringly reliable.

Routine but bigger service as it was time to change brake fluid, power steering fluid, as well as the usual service stuff.
    Had a TPMS sensor that was occasionally playing up so the Stratstone guys did the the re-code of that which saved me a job that I was going to DIY

Nothing else really to report... oh CCM wear is 16% which is exactly in line with the wear of the original set. Pad wear less than previous wear rates.

Some interesting stuff in - A California with an exploded rear diff being the most interesting.

Labour rate and parts commensurate with an indie.
    Last edited by Modificato; 08-01-2021 at 04:50 PM.

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Some interesting stuff in - A California with an exploded rear diff being the most interesting.
    Ouch!

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    Ouch!
    ...a 30k+ ouch that one

Low miles too

Name
    Mark

...a 30k+ ouch that one

Low miles too
    Sadly I've just had the California removed from our 'possible' list following some chats with very well regarded techies. I'd been considering it as a single car replacement for our 360/Boxster pairing

Name
    CPD

Sadly I've just had the California removed from our 'possible' list following some chats with very well regarded techies. I'd been considering it as a single car replacement for our 360/Boxster pairing
    Probably worth checking out the Chris Harris / Harry Metcalfe podcast where they discuss the California project and its difficult birth. Its not a pretty story and one that they single out as they only time they have not told the fully story of a car on test. In their defence they were on the downslope of EVO at the time so had no reason to make an enemy but its not pretty listening.

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Probably worth checking out the Chris Harris / Harry Metcalfe podcast where they discuss the California project and its difficult birth. Its not a pretty story and one that they single out as they only time they have not told the fully story of a car on test. In their defence they were on the downslope of EVO at the time so had no reason to make an enemy but its not pretty listening.
    I've always quite liked the Cali for what it does (or seems to do - never driven one) in being a more practical car to live with than say a 430/458, sort of like a modern Mondial, the 80s/90s one obviously, but they don't seem all that keen on it themselves. Interesting to hear them talk a little about Ferrari just after talking about the Cali specifically. The segment starts at 40:30 on here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We5lV8Q-VXE
    Last edited by Nosevi; 12-01-2021 at 04:23 PM.

Name
    Mark

I've been hearing "fine when they're working but when they go wrong, they can properly go wrong". It's a shame as I've been at a loss to think of a possible 360/Boxster replacement. Having done a few laps of other exotics in my head, I arrive back at the 360 with the only other contender (for us) being a nice 911. As much as I like Porsche's it's just not a Ferrari, hence my comments about maybe a 328 in another thread. The Cali may've been a perfect 'kill two birds with one stone' kind of car and I just recently had my hopes dashed a little!

Sorry for hijacking the 599 thread a little.

Name
    CPD

I've been hearing "fine when they're working but when they go wrong, they can properly go wrong". It's a shame as I've been at a loss to think of a possible 360/Boxster replacement. Having done a few laps of other exotics in my head, I arrive back at the 360 with the only other contender (for us) being a nice 911. As much as I like Porsche's it's just not a Ferrari, hence my comments about maybe a 328 in another thread. The Cali may've been a perfect 'kill two birds with one stone' kind of car and I just recently had my hopes dashed a little!

Sorry for hijacking the 599 thread a little.
    No problem I forgot to mention anyway that in my service report clutch wear is still under 40%. so right on spec for lifetime longevity of circa 150,000 km

...again the car has been driven and driven hard at times and also live in the city centre so it gets all types of use - it is 100% the original clutch which adds to my existing cynicism about Ferrari clutch longevity and clocked cars.

A348W is online now I mince along like a girl Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    I've always quite liked the Cali for what it does (or seems to do - never driven one) in being a more practical car to live with than say a 430/458, sort of like a modern Mondial, the 80s/90s one obviously, but they don't seem all that keen on it themselves. Interesting to hear them talk a little about Ferrari just after talking about the Cali specifically. The segment starts at 40:30 on here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We5lV8Q-VXE
    Actually listened to all of that and surprised myself in that I enjoyed it. Best quote "electric cars are a middle England solution"

Mod, love those winglets, just so cool, both aesthetically and from an engineering perspective.

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    Actually listened to all of that and surprised myself in that I enjoyed it. Best quote "electric cars are a middle England solution"

Mod, love those winglets, just so cool, both aesthetically and from an engineering perspective.
    Indeed but beware the fake ones without the wing root bleed slot...

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425