Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 360 tyres

Name
    Mark

Default 360 tyres

Hi All

Previously had a 328 GTS, and have now just bought a 360 Spider.

Tyres seem to be an issue if you don't want Pirelli P Zeros as I can't find other matching sets in the stipulated size (sure you all know, 215/45/R18 front and 275/40/R18 rear). Especially if you want to stick to Ferrari approved brands!

There must be a way round this? I know you are supposed to have a matching set all round, but plenty of people fit wider tyres on the front with a lower profile and the same on the back. This must alter the handling characteristics and so my question is, how is this majorly different to different tyre makes front and back? Clearly no-one is going to have mis-matched tyres on the same axle, but how is a full set of MPSS (for example) with 225 front and 275 rear worse / better than 215s of brand X on the front and 275s of brand Y on the rear?

Both options will alter the handling characteristics of the car - which is worse / better? But would any normal driver notice when not on a track?

Thanks for any advice / thoughts.

Name
    Rob Farmiloe

Are there any updated views on current tyres? I have bridgestones fitted but the rears are now 10yrs old as the car did few miles before I bought it.
    I gather I won't get a new rear pair to match. The fronts have little wear but are 6 years old.
    So I figure it will be a new set all round. I note on ferrari chat they seem to go for the michelin S4 in 225/285 sizes.
    Thanks Rob

Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by El donkey View Post
    Are there any updated views on current tyres? I have bridgestones fitted but the rears are now 10yrs old as the car did few miles before I bought it.
    I gather I won't get a new rear pair to match. The fronts have little wear but are 6 years old.
    So I figure it will be a new set all round. I note on ferrari chat they seem to go for the michelin S4 in 225/285 sizes.
    Thanks Rob
    I’m in a similar situation with my 355 as I’m probably going for a wheel refurb so a complete new set makes sense.
    Having read several reviews on Bridgestone Potenza, Michelin S4 and Pirelli P zero the only thing I can say for certain is everyone seems to have a different opinion. 😀

Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian355 View Post
    I’m in a similar situation with my 355 as I’m probably going for a wheel refurb so a complete new set makes sense.
    Having read several reviews on Bridgestone Potenza, Michelin S4 and Pirelli P zero the only thing I can say for certain is everyone seems to have a different opinion. 😀
    S4s all day long. Miles nicer at normal speeds than the pzeros on my 348.

Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    S4s all day long. Miles nicer at normal speeds than the pzeros on my 348.
    I’ve tried Bridgestone ( admittedly the older expedia) and the Pzero on my 355. I was reasonably happy with the Pzeros so if the S4 s feel better, then decision made. Thanks.

Well for me anyway.
    Last edited by Ian355; 10-01-2022 at 09:07 PM.

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    Miles nicer at normal speeds than the pzeros on my 348.
    I had the same experience with pzeros on my 348 - seriously over-rated imo. I've had 2 other types of tyre on her and both were better than the pzeros on anything other than perfectly smooth surfaces.

tom is offline You thought the Enzo was ugly? - The Ferrari FXX Club Member
    Name
    Tom

I generally (ie on non-Ferraris...) find P Zeros disappointing. PS4Ss transformed my M5 when I replaced the OEM P Zeros with them. There was so much more grip, especially at the rear wheels, and the Michelins actually gave me confidence in the car in anything but warm, dry conditions.

I have PS4Ss on my 911 and Boxster too. I did notice however, on both Porsches, that the steering feel is very numb and even slightly heavier for the first 1-200 miles after fitting the new tyres. A friend of mine said the same about his Boxster when he fitted PS4S too. It does come back to where it should be but that initial feeling of "oh god I've ruined the car" is a bit disconcerting!

I am tempted to try PS4S on the Stradale in the spring, once it's out of hibernation, but I've heard you lose the feedback the P Zeros give... Maybe it'll be Cup 2s...

In short, I think the PS4S is a great all-round road tyre and I've fitted them to several cars now.

Final comment: it's probably just coincidence but I've never had so many punctures from picking up nails as I have with the 4Ss... I've had two let go spectacularly too; one on the M5 which went down almost instantly at about 2mph with a hole in the inner sidewall, and one that went pop at 70mph on the M25 in the Boxster . That one had a big hole in it too.

Name
    Mark Wibberley

As some folks know, my 360 gets a regular hammering, and in common with my fellow competitors, mine and most others have PS4s and find them quicker on Hills and Sprints.

I certainly noticed a difference over the PZeros, and have fitted them also to my Boxster.

An alternative, if you can get them, is Toyo Proxes, the best tyre I have ever come across, and have on my 944Turbo.

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

I have tried all sorts of tyres on fast road cars and track slags.

My Elise had P Zero fitted when new but I managed to wear out the rears after 6000 miles and one track day. Replaced the rears with some Bridgestone track day tyres and the handling was like a clown car with no grip on the front and super glue grip on the back - fronts were changed to the same track day tyres as the rear and the grip was astonishing. Weird thing was I did about 3 track days and got 8000 miles out of the cheaper and softer track day tyres.

My unscientific analysis was that Pirelli tyres are *****, and since then I now fit Pilot Sports variants to all our daily's and fast road cars. The other half had Pirellis on her BMW and in the snow I couldnt even reverse over the 15mm high boundary kerb stone at the bottom of the drive. They didnt stay on the car for long I now rate Pirellis so badly I will even take them off a car before their end of life just to get rid of them.

tom is offline You thought the Enzo was ugly? - The Ferrari FXX Club Member
    Name
    Tom

I came to order some new tyres for my 911 today and realised, to my shame, that I'm wrong above. My Porsches have the regular PS4, not the PS4S, as they aren't available in those sizes! Other than that, my post above is totally accurate. Ahem.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234