Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sale or return versus private sale?

Name
    robert batt

Default Sale or return versus private sale?

I am thinking about selling one of my cars and wondered if anyone had any recommendations for garages that do sale or return on Ferraris?

It would also be useful to understand the benefits of this versus a private sale. Does anyone have any experience?

thanks in advance.

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

Pros and cons as I'm sure you are aware.

Pros for personal sale:-
    You will get more money.
    Against:-
    Tyre kickers and general hassle.

SOR:-
    No hassle for you.
    Against:-
    Probably less money.

I think buyers probably prefer to go to an indie or dealer for a Ferrari.

Walkersport certainly used to do SOR and I would trust him with my car 110%.

Name
    Mark Wibberley

A dealer may actually return you more, depending on their cut, as they will be able to charge a higher price in the first place.

I'd thoroughly recommend The Ferrari Centre in Maidstone for this.

Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by MoreThanPolish View Post
    A dealer may actually return you more, depending on their cut, as they will be able to charge a higher price in the first place.

I'd thoroughly recommend The Ferrari Centre in Maidstone for this.
    We used The Ferrari Centre for SOR on our 348 which went very smoothly and can wholeheartedly agree with the above comment. I also feel we got a better price as it was marketed through a reputable Indie. We also bought the 355 from the same place and have always been happy with the service received.

Name
    DCS

be very careful of dealers offering SoR for very low fees. Its an unworkable business model that will just end up with both the buyer and seller in tears when something goes wrong with the car.

Name
    Russell

Once my car is sold I intend to write a more detailed post about my experience with trying to buy/sell a Ferrari. The only point I'd make here is that literally every car that I've seen offered for sale is being sold on SOR. Dealers are seemingly getting a risk free deal and it affects market prices.

I'll never understand most people's reluctance to buy privately, the warranty you get from an Inde are freely available to buy privately, they do little prep and you have very few rights.

I have sold a car on SOR previously, a BMW M3. Couldn't sell it privately, garage literally 20 yards next door sold it for 4k more than I advertised it. No finance, 3 month warranty. that's it. I got an extra 2k, dealer took 2k, buyer wasted 4k.

Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by PACROCK View Post
    We used The Ferrari Centre for SOR on our 348 which went very smoothly and can wholeheartedly agree with the above comment. I also feel we got a better price as it was marketed through a reputable Indie. We also bought the 355 from the same place and have always been happy with the service received.
    Out of interest, what do you think are the benefits in buying from the Ferrari Centre?

I ask this because they told me that everything they have is on SOR, unless it's Red with Crema?

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffekins View Post
    Once my car is sold I intend to write a more detailed post about my experience with trying to buy/sell a Ferrari. The only point I'd make here is that literally every car that I've seen offered for sale is being sold on SOR. Dealers are seemingly getting a risk free deal and it affects market prices.

I'll never understand most people's reluctance to buy privately, the warranty you get from an Inde are freely available to buy privately, they do little prep and you have very few rights.
    I agree, first Ferrari (Mondial) private, second (F355) trader though not an indie or Ferrari dealer. They gave me little confidence. With that I had a professional inspection by The Ferrari Centre, which proved invaluable.

This 360 was done as a part exchange but privately. Neither he nor me involved a dealer or indie.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffekins View Post
    I have sold a car on SOR previously, a BMW M3. Couldn't sell it privately, garage literally 20 yards next door sold it for 4k more than I advertised it. No finance, 3 month warranty. that's it. I got an extra 2k, dealer took 2k, buyer wasted 4k.
    Blows my theory right out of the water

Name
    Mike

Default SOR

Sale of goods Act 1979 (as amended)

If you want protection when you are shopping, this is the law you need to know.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) is crucial for consumers because it refers to laws which have extended the basic 1979 Act and using the phrase tells the trader that not only do you know basic consumer law, you know it has been amended too.

The Sale of Goods Act lays down several conditions that all goods sold by a trader must meet.

The goods must be:
    ◾as described
    ◾of satisfactory quality
    ◾fit for purpose

As described refers to any advert or verbal description made by the trader.

Satisfactory quality covers minor and cosmetic defects as well as substantial problems. It also means that products must last a reasonable time. But it doesn't give you any rights if a fault was obvious or pointed out to you at point of sale.

Fit for purpose covers not only the obvious purpose of an item but any purpose you queried and were given assurances about by the trader.

If you buy something which doesn't meet these conditions you have the potential right to return it, get a full refund, and if it will cost you more to buy similar goods elsewhere, compensation (to cover the extra cost) too.

Note however that the right to reject goods and get a full refund only lasts for a relatively short time after which a buyer is deemed to have 'accepted' goods. This doesn't mean that the buyer has no legal redress against the seller, just that he/she isn't entitled to a full refund.

Instead a buyer is first and foremost entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced. If these remedies are inappropriate, then you're entitled to a suitable price reduction, or to return the goods and get a refund (reduced to take account of any wear and tear).

The act covers second-hand items and sales. But if you buy privately your only entitlement to your money back is if the goods aren't 'as described'.

If goods which are expected to last six months don't, it'll be presumed that the goods didn't conform to the contract at the time they were bought unless the seller can prove to the contrary.

In all other situations it's for the consumer to prove their own case (that is, that the problem existed at the time of the contract). This will prove more difficult the longer you've had the goods. Subject to this a consumer has six years from the time they buy something in which to make a claim irrespective of how long the goods actually last.

Name
    Malcolm

It seems that everyone is missing a rather important feature with SOR. NO car and NO money!! Well documented in Ferrari circles. The indie who sold cars on and keeping the money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast