Thread: Manifold coating question

Name
    Paul

Default Manifold coating question

Hi all,

I am supposed to receive my new (to me) F430 by the end of this week. It is a 2008 model with 16k miles, that still has its original MK2 manifold. Ferrari inspected them during the last service and confirmed they were OK.

Just as preventive maintenance, I have also ordered a new set of after market stainless steel headers from Top Speed - a few CS members who fitted those on his F430 seem to be really complementary about them.

My original intent was to have them ceramic coated in order to reduce the heat in the engine bay. However, after speaking with DK Engineering, they told me I didn't need to bother, as the 30% heat reduction doesn't make a ton of difference. DK Service manager told me that the only side effect he'd only ever seen over his career was 1 hand brake cable going bust... only 1.

Given that Zircotek quoted me 575 inc VAT to coat those headers, I am really considering listening to DK and skipping the coating step and keep the money for future preventive maintenance/upgrades.

Am I nuts?

Name
    Mark

Yes. I cannot understand why someone would recommend against it. Have a look with the undertray off how close the F1 and engine management looms run through the bulkhead and past the manifolds. Wiring destined for the engine bay has a heat and petrochemical rating but running uncoated will risk degradation over time. Fuel tanks right next to the manifolds as well. There are electrical sensors and other hoses etc. nearby. Things are not going to break right away but their lifespan will be reduced. Ferrari knew this as they introduced more heat shielding as the years went by - and that's for the standard exhaust with reasonably effective heat insulation.

If you are looking for a cheaper option just wrap them.

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

I've wrapped manifolds on other cars with no issues, and for the cost/peace of mind I'd do it again - especially given the 430's reputation with manifolds

Modificato is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    I've wrapped manifolds on other cars with no issues, and for the cost/peace of mind I'd do it again - especially given the 430's reputation with manifolds
    Try camcoat of Warrington.

Their Le Mans spec coating is less than that and significantly reduces engine bay temps.

The engine bay of the 430 runs very hot especially with the standard rear (rather than the challenge rear) note the scud was significantly re-worked to,address this

Name
    David

Zircotec did a fantastic job on my fabspeed headers, however the huge increase in noise was so bad I took them off and sold them, back to stock MkII's that I've checked thoroughly which involved removing the heat shields, so mine are wrapped, they're happy and so am I.
    Only gripe I got online was a chap warning me about getting the wrapping wet and corroding things but given that I never run my F430 in the rain and the fact that if I got court out in shower the heat of the manifold would surely dry the wrapping immediately once parked back in my garage so I discounted this as an issue.