I'll be putting my car into long term storage at the end of the year. A project I'm involved in is taking more and more of my time and my mileage is dropping to a point where it's just not worth keeping her on the road. Happens to loads of Ferraris, know of a nice example for sale that's been stored for 16 years of its life and mine spent most of it's first 14 years in a similar situation - doesn't seem to have hurt her a great deal, in fact not at all.

As an aside it coincides with my tenure on the committee coming to an end so if anyone else fancies taking over drop me a pm and I'll call for the election early. If not it's due in Feb.

I won't be paying for storing her as she's in a climate controlled (humidity and temp) garage anyway and I'm more than capable of doing anything a 'posh' storage place can do in terms of 'active storage'. I have 2 questions, the first based around 'active storage':

I've looked for and totally failed to find a single expensive, posh, bespoke etc storage place anywhere which doesn't do 'active storage' ie running engine every so often, working all electric motors and soleniods, turning wheels etc. I've looked in several different countries. And yet I've had several knowledgeable people tell me not to start the car while others have said 'active storage' is the only way to go. So which is it?

I'll be honest, don't run it makes no sense to me - an argument that most damage is done when the engine is cold is an argument not to ever drive your car. The car doesn't know you're not going to drive it, it can't decide to not damage itself when cold this time because it'll shortly be going for a drive?!?!? And then there's talk of the engine not getting up to temperature fully. Surely the fans kick in when it gets too hot to bring it back down to operating temperature. If they didn't kick in, it would surely get hotter than when driving? And the engine doesn't know if the car is in motion. It doesn't even know if the air going through the rads is due to the fans or forward motion. As far as the engine is concerned I just don't get it.

Gearbox is a bit more tricky as I've got a private tarmac drive that I could drive up and down but everything wouldn't get fully warmed up. But again, how could that cause more damage than everytime I take her out now? And would turning over the gears and operating the clutch and brakes not stop things seizing up?

The second question is hopefully easier to answer with fact rather than opinion. Conventional wisdom when storing a car is to top off the tanks to prevent condensation and so rusting inside the fuel tank. The downside is the fuel will eventually go off and do the engine no good at all. My understanding is the 348's tank is fully alloy with pumps at the bottom? Is it then better to have it almost empty and just keep putting fresh fuel in as it's used (assuming 'active storage')?

Any advice would be welcome. I know the best option may be to either keep her on the road or sell and buy back in in 5 or so years if I fancy. Snag is it'd cost a small fortune to get any cars I've seen on the market for a while up to the condition of my car (even the 'immaculate' example from the other thread ) and I'll want her back at the end of the project.

And give the idea of sitting on the committee some thought. If anyone is willing to take over I won't stick around. The idea of watching you lot chat about your cars and events etc while mine is tucked away doesn't particularly appeal