Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long term storage

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Default Long term storage

I'll be putting my car into long term storage at the end of the year. A project I'm involved in is taking more and more of my time and my mileage is dropping to a point where it's just not worth keeping her on the road. Happens to loads of Ferraris, know of a nice example for sale that's been stored for 16 years of its life and mine spent most of it's first 14 years in a similar situation - doesn't seem to have hurt her a great deal, in fact not at all.

As an aside it coincides with my tenure on the committee coming to an end so if anyone else fancies taking over drop me a pm and I'll call for the election early. If not it's due in Feb.

I won't be paying for storing her as she's in a climate controlled (humidity and temp) garage anyway and I'm more than capable of doing anything a 'posh' storage place can do in terms of 'active storage'. I have 2 questions, the first based around 'active storage':

I've looked for and totally failed to find a single expensive, posh, bespoke etc storage place anywhere which doesn't do 'active storage' ie running engine every so often, working all electric motors and soleniods, turning wheels etc. I've looked in several different countries. And yet I've had several knowledgeable people tell me not to start the car while others have said 'active storage' is the only way to go. So which is it?

I'll be honest, don't run it makes no sense to me - an argument that most damage is done when the engine is cold is an argument not to ever drive your car. The car doesn't know you're not going to drive it, it can't decide to not damage itself when cold this time because it'll shortly be going for a drive?!?!? And then there's talk of the engine not getting up to temperature fully. Surely the fans kick in when it gets too hot to bring it back down to operating temperature. If they didn't kick in, it would surely get hotter than when driving? And the engine doesn't know if the car is in motion. It doesn't even know if the air going through the rads is due to the fans or forward motion. As far as the engine is concerned I just don't get it.

Gearbox is a bit more tricky as I've got a private tarmac drive that I could drive up and down but everything wouldn't get fully warmed up. But again, how could that cause more damage than everytime I take her out now? And would turning over the gears and operating the clutch and brakes not stop things seizing up?

The second question is hopefully easier to answer with fact rather than opinion. Conventional wisdom when storing a car is to top off the tanks to prevent condensation and so rusting inside the fuel tank. The downside is the fuel will eventually go off and do the engine no good at all. My understanding is the 348's tank is fully alloy with pumps at the bottom? Is it then better to have it almost empty and just keep putting fresh fuel in as it's used (assuming 'active storage')?

Any advice would be welcome. I know the best option may be to either keep her on the road or sell and buy back in in 5 or so years if I fancy. Snag is it'd cost a small fortune to get any cars I've seen on the market for a while up to the condition of my car (even the 'immaculate' example from the other thread ) and I'll want her back at the end of the project.

And give the idea of sitting on the committee some thought. If anyone is willing to take over I won't stick around. The idea of watching you lot chat about your cars and events etc while mine is tucked away doesn't particularly appeal

Name
    Mark

Sorry I can't help with your questions Pete, you probably won't get any definitive answers either other than personal opinions.

Why bother with storage unless you're off to prison(?!). Each day that goes by you're one day closer to death right? Life's too short and all that. We don't use our 360 very much at all but having it and not being able to use it, hmm… I simply don't think I could.

Either way, it'd be a shame if you (virtually) left the clan

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

In terms of the petrol, for short-term storage I use a full tank with stabiliser to prevent the condensation inside. But if you can keep the garage heated, and the humidity controlled, where is the condensation going to come from? In that case leaving it empty is surely better than spending £100 filling the tank, to have to then bin that petrol when you come to use it.

But, in agreeing with Kyodo, and this may seem a little harsh, use it or sell it IMO. If you love it and want to keep it, you'll find time to use it. Sleep less.

If you really aren't going to/can't use it, sell it. Let someone else enjoy it!

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

I'll stick around, Mark and certainly be back fully eventually. Might just be a couple of years she's off the road, might be 2 or 3 more but it won't be forever. Tbh I'll be unsurprised if I don't miss having her out after a year and that'll be it

Regarding just keeping her on the road, yep I could she's yet to cost me anything more than a couple of hundred quid over and above normal servicing over the 7 odd years I've owned her - she's been massively reliable tbh, but over the summer I'm just finding I have zero time. Most of the time I'm on here I'm supposed to be practicing - unfortunately you get 4G on the putting green and practice area. I tell my coach I'm checking stats

Anyway, decision is made for the next year, after that we'll see.

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    In terms of the petrol, for short-term storage I use a full tank with stabiliser to prevent the condensation inside. But if you can keep the garage heated, and the humidity controlled, where is the condensation going to come from? In that case leaving it empty is surely better than spending £100 filling the tank, to have to then bin that petrol when you come to use it.

But, in agreeing with Kyodo, and this may seem a little harsh, use it or sell it IMO. If you love it and want to keep it, you'll find time to use it. Sleep less.

If you really aren't going to/can't use it, sell it. Let someone else enjoy it!
    Problem is I'll want her back in a few years, if I didn't know I would I'd sell her now. Snag is the 'buy back in' cost - essentially look at the most expensive TS on the market now, assuming there is zero rust under panels etc (mine's lived her life dehumidified) add about £6k - £7k to the price. That's what it'd cost me to buy back in in perhaps 3 years time.

This really isn't that big a deal - I know this is an enthusists' site - I'm one - but between 1 in 4 and 1 in 5 Ferraris are SORN in the UK year round. For a short period mine will be one of them, that's all.

Name
    Pete

Btw, if anyone wants to offer me £6k over the next most expensive RHD TS on the market I'll give it some thought

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

I'll store it for you for free in my dehumidified garage with 9 radiators

I'll also exercise it for you, gratis. All part of the service!

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    I'll store it for you for free in my dehumidified garage with 9 radiators

I'll also exercise it for you, gratis. All part of the service!
    She doesn't go out in the snow or rain, mate. Otherwise I'd take you up on it

Name
    Pete

Btw, just to add to this, I'm not saying I don't believe those that say not to run it........ but then I'm not saying I don't believe those who say do. I get the rationale of ensuring parts designed to move are moved every so often to ensure they don't seize I'm just a bit lost when it comes to how an engine knows the car isn't moving. Happy if someone can explain it to me though. And the fact all the top end car storages places do the active storage thing (and I do mean all) has me scratching my head a bit if it's such a bad idea to do it

Name
    Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    She doesn't go out in the snow or rain, mate. Otherwise I'd take you up on it
    It's ok, I'll use mine in the rain and yours in the dry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast