Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Long term storage

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Pete I dont think you will get any condensation problems with your set up, as it needs a wide temperature/humidity delta to get condensation. I dont understand how the microbes even get into the fuel in the first place ?? but I guess having a little fuel left in the tank with the occasional top up and run up and down the drive would be OK . You can get a fuel additive thats meant to minimize issues but I dont know whats in the stuff so dont know if they would make any difference.

All you need to do it get a special Ferrari attachment to tow the bins up and down the drive

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

How dare you refer to my wife in that manner

Yep, I certainly won't have the car in cold temps - the room is always kept heated as I use it all the time. My thought is that by keeping adding new fuel I shouldn't get fuel 'going off' problems and I just don't see that kind of tank 'suffering' if not kept full.

Modificato is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Familiar with all land based UK military vehicles that are in long term storage - all are 'actively stored' in CHE building and a road facility that allows them to be not only warmed up but run up through their paces every six months. Not doing it gets expensive and whilst you won't be faced with a barn find. Careful recomissiong will be required. Rubber, leather and sealing media being the areas most likely to need attention.

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Familiar with all land based UK military vehicles that are in long term storage - all are 'actively stored' in CHE building and a road facility that allows them to be not only warmed up but run up through their paces every six months. Not doing it gets expensive and whilst you won't be faced with a barn find. Careful recomissiong will be required. Rubber, leather and sealing media being the areas most likely to need attention.
    Thanks Mod, very much appreciated. I think 'active storage' (if done properly) wins here. I do think the "if done properly" is more than likely quite important - a half-hearted effort of just running the engine for a few minutes every so often probably does do more harm than good but if everything is properly looked after she should be ok. I think the leather should be ok (it's new now) and I have 'seal feed' for all the rubber. Tyres will be changed when she goes back on the road as I'd be doing that in a year or so anyway.

One of the biggest reasons to go 'active' is I really have no idea how long she'll be off the road. Could be 3 or 4 years, might end up just being one year missed. We'll see.

Thanks all for the advice and help, feel a bit happier about the whole thing.

p.s. Still no volunteers for the committee? Have checked my inbox and it's not full so that can't be why I haven't had a flood of PMs...... I'll only stick around if no one will do it. I've done 2 years and 7 months of my 3 year sentence - time off for good(ish) behaviour? We're looking at possible changes to the website and it sort of makes sense for whoever is going to be on the committee once I've left to be involved with deciding the way ahead. I await your PM

Name
    Ian

Aspen 4 does not degrade like petrol as it has no ethanol. I use Aspen 2 in my 2 stroke equipment for long term storage, 5 year life or possibly more apparently. Down side it's about 18 for 5 ltr but as already been said, degredation of your fuel could eat your seals etc.
    Never used Aspen 4 in a car but I believe it could be suitable for what you are after, especially if you are going to run your engine periodically. Worth doing some reading about it or see your local chainsaw dealer. Not all stock it unfortunately but I believe it's available mail order.

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Ian355 View Post
    Aspen 4 does not degrade like petrol as it has no ethanol. I use Aspen 2 in my 2 stroke equipment for long term storage, 5 year life or possibly more apparently. Down side it's about 18 for 5 ltr but as already been said, degredation of your fuel could eat your seals etc.
    Never used Aspen 4 in a car but I believe it could be suitable for what you are after, especially if you are going to run your engine periodically. Worth doing some reading about it or see your local chainsaw dealer. Not all stock it unfortunately but I believe it's available mail order.
    Thanks for that, Ian. I'll look it up. Much appreciated

Name
    Geoff T

Default Ethanol in Fuel

As ethanol is so corrosive it would seem that our fuel systems are all doomed, as it probably does as much harm to the "rubber" components whether the car is being driven or sat in a de-humidifed garage.

Pete I think the later cars know when they're being driven as the ABS tells the ECU's that the wheels are turning

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by geoffpfc View Post
    As ethanol is so corrosive it would seem that our fuel systems are all doomed, as it probably does as much harm to the "rubber" components whether the car is being driven or sat in a de-humidifed garage.

Pete I think the later cars know when they're being driven as the ABS tells the ECU's that the wheels are turning
    And they have a natter to the engine and tell it not damage itself before it gets warm this time because it's going for a drive - got it

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123