Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: My Argento 360

Modificato is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    Work and other commitments mean I havenít picked up the part yet but looking into it a bit further I canít see it working....and TBH itís a bit of a bodge/sticking plaster which Iíd struggle with.

So I see three options....

1. Leave alone for now. It seems to be common and working perfectly.

2. Remove the actuator and send for a rebuild.
    Thereís a question with that though.....who to?
    Thereís a guy in Didcot who offers the service for a comparatively reasonable price. I spoke to him a while back and he seemed very knowledgable but Iíve no direct feedback on his rebuilds. I can call again though and see how long theyíve been in the field.

3. Take some brave pills and take it apart myself and replace the faulty seal (and any others that I can source).
    Iíve done plenty of this type of stuff before in a previous life (Mike D (swynradar) once called me...a ďfitter with a handbagĒ which isnít that unfair, but he knows the truth ;)).

The rebuild services are quite expensive but that is because of set-up costs for low volume work and they have to stand-by the service whereas I donít.

Good advice Iíve had is leave alone but I canít help think this could be a reseal. My time is free and I could still go 3 then 2 if I fail......

When Iím researching I generally look for images/patent drawings rather than read material that might be wrong but there is an absolute vacuum on info out there.....

Decisions?....
    Try looking at Alfa Selespeed system as that is the origin and where all the patents are. There are also a few Alfa Selespeed anoraks who no doubt can help you.

Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by MWStewart View Post
    I can vouch for Simon Stoj. He's a good chap and knows the F1 system well.
    Yes Simon is the guy I spoke to a while back and he was very helpful.
    I was going to buy a faulty used unit to have a look at then potentially to get him refurb it but he advised against that particular one.

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Try looking at Alfa Selespeed system as that is the origin and where all the patents are. There are also a few Alfa Selespeed anoraks who no doubt can help you.
    Even though the 360 actuator has selespeed on the dust cap the actuator is quite different to the Alfa and Fiat group units although many of the hydraulic power system parts and controls are shared eg pump, accumulator and SVís.
    Iíve found plenty of general info but nothing useful to date on the actuator itself.

Iíll keep looking as the winter is long and thanks for the responses.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name
    Mike M

Default My Argento 360

Slow progress.....too many Christmas parties [emoji6]

Iíve spent a bit of time cleaning the engine off and making a parts list of the bits I want to change.

Iíve also pulled the gear position data from the TCU and created a gear position grid from it.

I changed up and down the box logging the engagement and selection positions.
    Think of them as x and y coordinates on a graph.
    Selection across the gate is along the x axis and engagement into the gears is along the y axis.
    The TCU knows where the automated Ďstickí (the actuator) is from the two sensors which give a value between 0 and 950.
    So for each gear there is an x (selection), and y (engagement) coordinate e.g.

Name:  IMG_8302.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  30.6 KB

Name:  IMG_8301.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  30.7 KB

From these you can plot a grid of the gears positions. I repeated up and down and the positions a very repeatable. It also shows that the damp sensor is working perfectly.

Name:  Gear positions.JPG
Views: 358
Size:  87.9 KB

There are also limits in the TCU which are set as part of the self-learn procedure.
    The software I have doesnít have the best descriptors but it is easy enough to work out which is which.
    Hereís a couple of examples.

Name:  IMG_8293.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  41.2 KB

Name:  IMG_8292.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  40.3 KB

I added these to the grid as yellow boxes. They define the threshold of each gear position.

Iíve done this as it gives me good baseline data if I disturb the actuator.
    Even though I should have the ability to trigger a self-learn, Iíve never tested it.

The sensor spacer did turn up and with a simple mod I can route oil away from the sensor. If I do nothing else I will at least do that.

Name
    Mark

Good work, Mike.

FYI the min/max secure are static values set from new and are the physical design limits of the actuation assembly.

The aim of the self-learn process is to calculate the offset of the actuator on the X and Y axis as installed on the gearbox. Although it is dowelled, I suspect it's more to cover wear and/or production tolerances.

Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by MWStewart View Post
    Good work, Mike.

FYI the min/max secure are static values set from new and are the physical design limits of the actuation assembly.

The aim of the self-learn process is to calculate the offset of the actuator on the X and Y axis as installed on the gearbox. Although it is dowelled, I suspect it's more to cover wear and/or production tolerances.
    Good info and it explains the very wide tolerance or window.

The reason Iíd thought they were part of the self learn is that theyíd changed from a previous SD2 print out I have but thinking about it, that was a different TCU......

I should also point out that anything I write isnít verified itís just me trying to suss it out.

What I can say it is a very impressive system when you realise what it is doing in such a fast and sequential way.

Thanks again Mark..........M

Name
    Mark

What I can say it is a very impressive system when you realise what it is doing in such a fast and sequential way.
    Indeed
    Thanks for the insight Mike.

Name
    Mike M

Cleaning, cleaning, cleaning although pics wonít show it.....

Cats tonight.

Before and after.

Name:  IMG_8328.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  101.7 KB

Name:  IMG_8329.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  76.3 KB

I havenít the bottle to use Terryís thermonuclear option. I just used a fairly mild acid based cleaner with a small stainless steel wire brush and wire wool to remove the brown tarnish and rust along the seams and wiped off. Iíll polish next and theyíll be sorted [emoji106]

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Cleaning, cleaning, cleaning although pics wonít show it.....

Cats tonight.

Before and after.

I havenít the bottle to use Terryís thermonuclear option. I just used a fairly mild acid based cleaner with a small stainless steel wire brush and wire wool to remove the brown tarnish and rust along the seams and wiped off. Iíll polish next and theyíll be sorted [emoji106]
    Looks great already, Mike

Exactly which cleaner did you use? Some day I'll get around to doing this to the old cats and exhaust which came off my car. Only been saying that for 5 or so years......

Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Looks great already, Mike

Exactly which cleaner did you use? Some day I'll get around to doing this to the old cats and exhaust which came off my car. Only been saying that for 5 or so years......
    Raceglaze Alubright Pete.....I donít want them mirror just flat stainless.

Manifolds next but thatís after the gearbox comes out....

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Raceglaze Alubright Pete.....I donít want them mirror just flat stainless.
    Thanks

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast