Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What 5,000 litres of petrol looks like

Name
    Paul

Default What 5,000 litres of petrol looks like

Might not be Greta Thunbergís favorite picture, but the F430 just hit 30,000km (or 18k miles)... thatís about 5k litres of petrol gone quenching 500 horsesí thirst :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name
    Mark Wibberley

Looks like a whole load of fun !

Modificato is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by rivarama View Post
    Might not be Greta Thunberg’s favorite picture, but the F430 just hit 30,000km (or 18k miles)... that’s about 5k litres of petrol gone quenching 500 horses’ thirst :-)
    If she really knew what she was talking about instead of that obviously scripted nonsense her handlers write for her she would know that Ferrari as an OEM actually has one of the lowest lifecycle emissions footprint of any car maker.

1) the principle component in a ferrari is Aluminium which is infinitely recyclable and the most abundant element on earth
    2) Ferrari’s have one of the lowest average fleet mileages of any marque
    3) They also have one of the highest % levels vehicles made still on the road and not in landfill somewhere
    4) By comparison to most regular car makers they are not even remotely relevant.

Having said all of that they were also one of the first to do real and genuine carbon offsetting which has seen for example in china their entire fleet is still fully carbon offset (they plant high carbon capture trees).

I myself planted a giant redwood (the best natural carbon capture device known) with my day 40years ago so by UN climate panel standards myself and all my possible offspring will be carbon neutral for the next 4,000 years. I have also helped design and build wind farms and my company has already brought many electric / hybrid vehicles to life. My conscience is very clear and so should yours be.

Name
    Mark

to the above

Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    My conscience is very clear and so should yours be.
    Despite flying 100k miles a year, my conscious is clear on that front.

I feel a lot worse about emptying our recycle bin full of plastic everyday because all retailers package everything with plastic: all fruits, vegetables, meat, bread, yogurt, cheese, milk etc... everything.
    In addition to witch hunting diesel cars, they should properly crack down on plastic packaging!

Modificato is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by rivarama View Post
    Despite flying 100k miles a year, my conscious is clear on that front.

I feel a lot worse about emptying our recycle bin full of plastic everyday because all retailers package everything with plastic: all fruits, vegetables, meat, bread, yogurt, cheese, milk etc... everything.
    In addition to witch hunting diesel cars, they should properly crack down on plastic packaging!
    Total lack of sensible and rational data on the matter.

Here in the UK virtually none of our plastic goes to land fill and it is recycled. If you are worried about it ending in the ocean know this 90% of the worlds oceanic pollution comes from ten rivers. 8 of them are in China and the other two are in India. You and your domestic plastic are not even remotely part of the problem.

If you do a list of things harming the planet in descending order you will have to wait a long while until you get to domestic plastic. Similarly with emissions.

Global shipping is by far and away the biggest thing we can tackle. Ocean going ships bringing endless amounts of crap we don't need from China and with the worst polluting propulsion systems to boot.

Re-shoring must become a thing soon if we really want to make a difference instead of futile actions like swapping straws. Economic nationalism is actually a very green thing to do but the agitated left keep leaving this out of their demands.

UK energy mix is a good place to start where we have made massive gains in domestic heating emissions and power generations. I personally worked on onshore wind generation to make it economically viable without government subsidy and our progress both on-shore and offshore has been world leading. Ironically killing coal made Maggie T one of our strongest PM's on green issues...

Because our electricity is increasingly coming from low carbon sources electric vehicles for us will be good thing. Anyway for a personal green halo just plant a high carbon capture tree or too. Giant Redwoods will make you and your offspring carbon neutral for 4,000 years or so. All Ferrari's sold in China are now made carbon neutral this way.

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Couple of short but good articles on this. Maybe we're not all going to die Sorry XR...Ö.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevorn.../#16fcacba3c33

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevorn.../#152eba2c6e13

A348W is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Letís face it, the number one problem is over population and one that is growing!

Until you sort that, no amount of child labour to strip mine cobalt for ďzeroĒ emission cars will save anything!

(Global shipping has a long way to go; unfortunately itís driven by consumer demand; everybody wanting their crushed avocado on toast and a governing body with a number of countries that donít give a sh**. Interesting article here about it https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.b...nment-50827604)

Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Total lack of sensible and rational data on the matter.

Here in the UK virtually none of our plastic goes to land fill and it is recycled. If you are worried about it ending in the ocean know this 90% of the worlds oceanic pollution comes from ten rivers. 8 of them are in China and the other two are in India. You and your domestic plastic are not even remotely part of the problem.

If you do a list of things harming the planet in descending order you will have to wait a long while until you get to domestic plastic. Similarly with emissions.

Global shipping is by far and away the biggest thing we can tackle. Ocean going ships bringing endless amounts of crap we don't need from China and with the worst polluting propulsion systems to boot.

Re-shoring must become a thing soon if we really want to make a difference instead of futile actions like swapping straws. Economic nationalism is actually a very green thing to do but the agitated left keep leaving this out of their demands.

UK energy mix is a good place to start where we have made massive gains in domestic heating emissions and power generations. I personally worked on onshore wind generation to make it economically viable without government subsidy and our progress both on-shore and offshore has been world leading. Ironically killing coal made Maggie T one of our strongest PM's on green issues...

Because our electricity is increasingly coming from low carbon sources electric vehicles for us will be good thing. Anyway for a personal green halo just plant a high carbon capture tree or too. Giant Redwoods will make you and your offspring carbon neutral for 4,000 years or so. All Ferrari's sold in China are now made carbon neutral this way.
    Well recycling consumes so much energy that itís not necessarily brilliant for the environment either. I remember reading a UN backed study saying that recycled paper was actually worse for the environment when looking at the whole process (collection, sorting out, crushing, disposal of tainted water etc...), than making brand new paper...
    I think it talks more about Overpopulation.... anything done for 8bn people will have bad effect for the planet even if vegan !!

Name
    Athol

Ha, my FF has just gone over 18k miles and I reckon itís used 10,000 gallons judging by the fact it does about 300feet before needed more super unleaded!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast