Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Thread: Gilesí 360 Modena on-line scrapbook

Modificato is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blanchard View Post
    So I'm guessing that's £800 per hour, plus oil / filter, as it can't take longer than that.
    Itís quite a bit more than that though isnít it?

Plugging the Diagnostic in and it reading all the codes alone takes half of that.

Joking aside if you read the service schedule from the workshop manual it has the times for all the operations which should be performed which are quite a bit more than changing the oil and filter.

You can get an oil and filter change done in any garage for an hours labour.

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Joking aside if you read the service schedule from the workshop manual it has the times for all the operations which should be performed which are quite a bit more than changing the oil and filter.

I agree with Mod, I'm not familiar with the service schedules on the newer cars but certainly in my workshop manual there's an extensive list of things that are being checked during the service, I think that's what we're really paying for isn't it? I think pretty much all of us can change the oil and filter ourselves if we want to. I've stood and chatted to the mechanic at my main dealer as he did my annual early on in my ownership (I was invited to) and at least then he went through the list pretty comprehensively. If they don't they can't fill in the 'traffic light' report at the end which I find useful in itself to highlight things I may want to look at myself.

Regarding the second point I think perhaps we're a bit 'brain washed' in the UK, we'll take even a daily hack to a dealer for a basic service. When I've lived in the States I've seen many people just use outlets like Jiffy Lube for that basic oil and filter change - they'll do it cheaply and quickly while you wait.

I guess the point is I'm looking for something very different for my high mileage Fabia than I am for the Ferrari.

Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post

Regarding the second point I think perhaps we're a bit 'brain washed' in the UK, we'll take even a daily hack to a dealer for a basic service. When I've lived in the States I've seen many people just use outlets like Jiffy Lube for that basic oil and filter change - they'll do it cheaply and quickly while you wait.
    Use to work in Jiffy lube as a kid. Oil and filter change inside 20 minutes or its free. Certainly at the time the main dealers were renowned for pulling fast ones so few people used them.

We use to look after a gents old Merc. Use to take a good hour but he was happy to pay as it cost about a tenth of what the main dealer wanted to charge! We use to sit him in a chair, give him a coffee and he had a good laugh at us as we use to regularly spray oil everywhere from a very temperamental oil filter canister o ring! (Odd the things you remember! )

Garvin is offline Salesman's average 3 Series BMW Club Member
    Name
    Garvin

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Itís quite a bit more than that though isnít it?

Plugging the Diagnostic in and it reading all the codes alone takes half of that.

This. Mine doesnít do the mileage to warrant even just an oil and filter change annually but I want it plugged into the test set (which I donít have and canít justify/afford) and any lurking fault codes addressed as well as a thorough inspection for those things not covered in the MoT. For this Iím quite happy to pay my indi for the Ďminorí service each year as well as any rectification necessary. I then do not need the Ďintermediateí service per se and have the full cam belt service every five years.
    I like red & cream!

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132